It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:52 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:53 am 
Obduction Backer

Check out: http://thedeepcity.com/

It just went live today. Its a new vision of Uru to re-imagine and enhance the game as it should've been before the 2004 cancellation. I'm super excited!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:40 am 
Obduction Backer

I so want to play this.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Sweet

It's nice seeing my designs for the avatar selection scene actually in use.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is the absolute awesomeness!!! It is the first time in all those years here that I finally understand or at least am getting a small glimpse of what Cyan has envisioned back in the days and what the first explorers of the New D'ni, DIRT (D'ni in Real Time), then Choru (first Beta), Prologue and Uru Live etc. have been mourning after ... Thanks for posting this, Yali ... :P

What an intense, arduous and of course sometimes quite challenging 'puzzle quest' to patiently, slowly slowly, piece by piece get all the information together, while also studying the 'Uru matrix' code by code resp. bit by bit literally and thus re-envisioning Cyan's initial, original concepts and ideas ...

I'm really impressed to see what you all have been working on for so long and mostly behind the scenes, precious DIRT: Uru Live development team as there is our GPNMilano aka Chloe and I suppose the rest will mostly consist of our GoW H'Uru (Open Uru/TOC ?) team and maybe many more I'm not aware of yet or maybe not so many anymore (not everyone has been as resilient and persistent through all those years as you are lol, which is understandable) ... :)

I believe that all at Cyan must've cried to have been forced to give up on their awesome concepts, dreams and visions, to have been forced to split this all up, to cut this all down and to pieces and even not being capable anymore to refine and bring to completion (designs, textures, whole environments and ages etc.) what was already almost ready to be implemented in a certain way etc. resulting in inconsistencies here and there, as for gameplay and maybe storywise etc. ...

Everyone really should read those excellent blog posts, summarizing this decades long labour of the heart brief and easily to understand as a short chronology of the whole (unfortunate) development and thereby evolving 'new' (original) vision ... :D

The videos on the DIRT: Uru Live YouTube channel are wonderful test videos and works in progress, but quite revealing already ... This one video already shows quite nicely the direction the future development for DIRT: Uru Live might be heading to ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:45 pm 

The aspect of meeting peeps before they get lost and discouraged is what I have been attempting to do. As Greeter I meet new players in the newly created hoods as they come into game....I know I miss peeps cause I can not be there 24/7 and some get lost in the Cleft...but I have met a lot before they find the KI....I have tweeked some help notes to get them going on the right track.

KI #03313934

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:08 pm 

Nice work! Is that based on the H-URU client?

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tweek wrote:
Sweet

It's nice seeing my designs for the avatar selection scene actually in use.

As we move forward you'll be pleased to know that it's not the only design concept of course we've chosen to try and implement. 8)

Jamie Marchant wrote:
Nice work! Is that based on the H-URU client?

Currently our client is a heavily modified version of the H-URU client. It has all the bells and whistles of the H-URU client but we've added a few of our own. We've added a new file for book images that the client reads in. All other clients read in only the BkBookImages file, while ours reads in a secondary file for fan age linking panels and journals. This way if an author forgets to save a linking panel or journal cover to their age, we don't have to bug them about making a new version for us. We can just add their image to our BkNewBookImages.prp and the client will read it in. In addition we've added some code from Open-Uru that will allow us to open up our Garrison Wall. And we've also changed the process of panic linking for story aspects that will be touched on in a later post to the blog.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I believe that all at Cyan must've cried to have been forced to give up on their awesome concepts, dreams and visions...

And to get laid off. That was probably pretty sucky too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:48 pm 

wow how many people have dreamed of taking Uru Live to the next level, or wondered what it would have been if it things would have been different way back when and the original plans for Uru would have seen fruition. I wish I could help but I don't think my limited skills are whats needed here.

Best of luck

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thank you, Chloe, for your longstanding devotion to the cause.
You possess both the capabilities and and the clarity to actually complete a feat of this scale.
I'm also really impressed that you've found the time to write about your work (and good writing it is, too!)....appreciate your calling our attention to the blog as I might not have seen it for some time, otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Chloe, in a word:

Breathtaking!

Simply breathtaking!

I cannot express my enthusiasm and support in strong enough terms for your vision and the work you have been doing over all these years. Please let me, and all of us fans and explorers, know if there is any way we can offer our support and assistance in this enormous and beautiful vision! :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks everyone for your kind words. And thank Yali for keeping pressure on me to make the Development Blog happen!

I've informed Doobes that I'd like to do a presentation at the next Guild Hall meeting to Officially announce the opening of the blog, as well as the direction that's being taken moving forward. I've largely remained silent on the project since my last guild meeting announcement as there were still a few kinks to be worked out with the starting point. I wanted to be able to present how the game will now start, and the choice players will have to make at the start of their quest and how that choice affects the rest of their experience within the game. It's taken a long time and lots of abandoned builds to get to where I'm confident moving forward and actually showing that beginning and the first steps.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wow, this is amazing. Any idea when the earliest possible release date might be?

Founder of MYSTAges
Self-declared Bahro Historian
Member of Mystitech Productions

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Vector Cramp wrote:
Wow, this is amazing. Any idea when the earliest possible release date might be?

Earliest date for beta or for full public release?

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:11 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Well this is a big piece of awesomeness.

Compliments to Chloe!

Some prior insight into Chloe's plans might be gained from a forum discussion, "Community Project: The Great Shaft," that she originated in 2008 where Tweek, Alahmnat, and Marten also participated:
http://forums.openuru.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11

Some plans may have changed in the meantime, but it is an interesting discussion. The pedigree of the thread is outstanding because all these extremely creative fans are deeply entrenched in the history of D'ni and Uru, or have actually worked in some capacity for Cyan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next