It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 3:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:38 pm 

Hello,
Despite having played through a number of Myst games, and URU (a number of years ago), I have only just discovered URU live and began playing a few days ago- its a great game and runs fairly smoothly.

I run it on Windows Xp on VMware fusion (a virtual desktop application) on a mac, which possibly contributes to the problem Im having, which is that the pages of books dont display. This affects journals and linking books. Linking books dont appear on my relto shelf, it appears empty, but the books are still there. I can pull them out when the cursor says there is something there. The latch lifts and the sound effect plays but no book comes out. When the books appears in front of me, the pages are all black. I can still interact with the linking image (by guessing where it is on the page) and the pages do turn (I can tell from the sound and the cursor telling me where things are) but its always black.

The same thing happens with things like Douglas Sharpers journal (there werent any pages inside, it was just the front and back covers). Bizarrely it even affects the icon of my Relto book in the pop up menu at the bottom of the screen. Its not there but I can still click on it to link to the (blacked out) Relto. I was wondering if this was a common problem (a search of the forums didnt seem to pick anything up though) and if anyone had any idea what might be causing it (possibly the mac). The game is still very much playable, and it not that bad a problem, but it is very annoying, particularly when trying to ascertain where a book goes or if there is any important information in it.

Last edited by Scogali on Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Books not displaying
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:16 am 

I've known several people to play Uru using a Mac and one of the emulators. I've heard of some minor problems, but nothing like what you describe.

The first thought that came to me is that perhaps your game installation is missing some of the textures. Did you install the game from scratch, or is it left over from something earlier? Has the game ever worked normally on this computer?

There's nothing special about the installation. Once it's done, complete, you can copy the whole folder to a new computer and have it run just fine, which is what I did when I moved from an XP machine to Windows 7.

This is just a guess. There are others on this forum who know more.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:24 am 

Thanks, good point. That may well be the case, but I'm not sure, because its the first time I've played it on this computer, and I downloaded it from this website. However, I do own a disc version- would it be better to use that? It is the original Uru so I dont know if it can connect to Uru live, and if it can, whether my progress and avatar would still be saved...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:27 am 

URU:CC and MOULa are 2 completely different games. Sure they are more or less the same story-wise but their architectures are too different to be compatible.

URU:CC originally came on CD-ROMs. That's the version you played for years.

MOULa is only available through download. You surely did the right steps to download & install the game.

I would rather look for a compatibility issue running your VM on your Mac System.

There are some folks in this community who are running MOULa on VM because they are using a Mac. They often talk about Wine or Vine (not the alchoolic beverage :wink: ). You should maybe direct your search toward that or just wait for them to read this thread...

If you are able to modify the thread title (you're the author of it...) maybe indicate your on Mac so folks on Mac will be more incline to read your thread and help you :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:31 am 

Alright, will do. Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:11 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah Scogali and welcome! :)

I'm running MOULa on a Mac via the Cider wrapper (which at the moment requires a workaround to manage a bug introduced in the November content rollout/rollback). Other than that, I'm very happy with it. Other folks use a Wineskin wrapper or run it via Bootcamp. You may want to try all three approaches and stick with the one that you like the best.

I put together a .dmg for the Cider wrapper here (which uses the correct server settings and newest version of MOULa). Right click and select Download Linked File; let me know if it works right (it's been several months now since I've tested it).

Post here again if you have more questions or run into problems. In the meanwhile, good luck and hope to see you down below soon! :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:19 am 
Obduction Backer

This seems to be a known problem with VMWare, so it’s necessary to use one of the wrappers (they’re more convenient, anyway).
With Cider you can automatize the fix with an Automator or (if you’re daring) a shell script.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:13 pm 

I knew that if I broke the ice, the real experts would come through. :)