It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:03 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:36 pm
Posts: 7
Location: Moselle, MO
Hello everyone :) This may be way off topic, but Karen and I couldn't think of any better group of players to ask than you all.

First, we are the developers of Riddle of the Sphinx and we were inspired to create our game from CYAN's original MYST. The issue at hand is that we are re-releasing ROTS and rebuilding the game to be in real-time 3D on Kickstarter. And because of this, a few of our loyal fans have requested a point-n-click simulation mode because they either prefer it or they get motion sickness.

Could you help us with your feedback of what works and what doesn't work in regards to your experiences of what CYAN has already done with their games?

Any suggestions and help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

Jeff

_________________
Jeff Tobler
Developer of Riddle of the Sphinx


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:00 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:14 pm
Posts: 4250
Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Shorah Jeff and welcome to the MOUL forums. My suggestion would be to post this on the Cyan forums to reach a wider audience. Your account here carries over to those forums, so you don't need to re-register. (More info on that here.) You may even find some discussion on this topic already there.

_________________
Explorers Memorial * In Memoriam


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:59 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:02 pm
Posts: 1487
Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
I remember Riddle of the Sphinx and ROTS II! (Whatever happened to the plans to make ROTS 3?)

One big suggestion: there were places in these games where the player could die. How about a clickable pop-up that reads "Try again?" or something similar? (It worked for Myst III: Exile.)

_________________
New to Uru? See this video.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:36 pm
Posts: 7
Location: Moselle, MO
Tai'lahr wrote:
Shorah Jeff and welcome to the MOUL forums. My suggestion would be to post this on the Cyan forums to reach a wider audience. Your account here carries over to those forums, so you don't need to re-register. (More info on that here.) You may even find some discussion on this topic already there.


Shorah, Tai'lahr :) Thanks, and I think I tried that but didn't seem to have access. For some reason it directed me here, which is fine. I'll try again.

_________________
Jeff Tobler
Developer of Riddle of the Sphinx


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:36 pm
Posts: 7
Location: Moselle, MO
TOOO wrote:
I remember Riddle of the Sphinx and ROTS II! (Whatever happened to the plans to make ROTS 3?)

The design document of ROTS III: Oracle Bones was fully written, scene and artifact modeling had begun, and we had started to flesh everything out all the details. We had some funding from the current publisher at the time, but... the whole adventure game market was soft (from the publisher's perspective) at the time, so it stopped.

Oracle Bones probably has the deepest storyline based upon a dark and hidden past interwoven through the game. OB has an incredible plot and plot twist that I doubt many would see coming. The setting is in keeping with the ROTS Franchise, in that the player is sent to another mysterious archaeologically accurate location. While this location is not as famous as others, it is definitely more intriguing. And I love the puzzles, the setting, and again the unique story and twist. But I don't want to give away too much as we hope to release it in the future IF ROTS real-time 3D gets funded on Kickstarter — it's going slow right now, but we're hopeful more will come as word gets out.

Quote:
One big suggestion: there were places in these games where the player could die. How about a clickable pop-up that reads "Try again?" or something similar? (It worked for Myst III: Exile.)

Excellent idea! Dying is one of many enhancements we're making to puzzles and gameplay. I will be the game as everyone remembers, but almost new in some sense since the environments will allow gameplay and exploration that wasn't in the original. Thanks for the suggestion! It's something in hindsight I wanted to go back and change over the years.

_________________
Jeff Tobler
Developer of Riddle of the Sphinx


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:52 pm
Posts: 135
Location: Silicon Valley
lifetreegames wrote:
ROTS III: Oracle Bones probably has the deepest storyline based upon a dark and hidden past interwoven through the game. ... But I don't want to give away too much as we hope to release it in the future IF ROTS real-time 3D gets funded on Kickstarter ...

I must say, I would rather purchase a new game than a remake of an old game.

As much as I remember enjoying the original, I'm not sure how much of that depended on vague factors that don't apply today, such as expectations for games back then, the market, competition, computer power, as well as my own social situation at the time. I have a wall of boxed games on the shelf that I remember enjoying, and I keep them for sentimental reasons, but with no intention of replaying any of them. Maybe that's my loss.

Still, it would seem to me that people would be more likely to fund something new and improved, rather than old and improved. Only you can say how much cost would be involved in remaking existing assets versus taking the design documents for the new game and moving forward.

(Either way, I'm glad to see the renewed interest in puzzle/adventure games again!)

_________________
00292608 on MOULa 00310046
00018203 on Minkata
00040424 on Gehn


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:36 pm
Posts: 7
Location: Moselle, MO
catherwood wrote:
I must say, I would rather purchase a new game than a remake of an old game.

As much as I remember enjoying the original, I'm not sure how much of that depended on vague factors that don't apply today, such as expectations for games back then, the market, competition, computer power, as well as my own social situation at the time. I have a wall of boxed games on the shelf that I remember enjoying, and I keep them for sentimental reasons, but with no intention of replaying any of them. Maybe that's my loss.

Still, it would seem to me that people would be more likely to fund something new and improved, rather than old and improved. Only you can say how much cost would be involved in remaking existing assets versus taking the design documents for the new game and moving forward.

(Either way, I'm glad to see the renewed interest in puzzle/adventure games again!)

Excellent point, and we are hearing some say they're interested in the new game over the remake, but many saying they really want Riddle rebuilt in real-time 3D. So, after much thought, we decided this was the best course of action for several reasons.

We definitely are already planning for the new game. We actually have two new games planned after ROTS 3D. But the next NEW game will only happen in we fund Riddle real-time 3D. I think you'll really like both game worlds we're building,

_________________
Jeff Tobler
Developer of Riddle of the Sphinx


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:56 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:46 pm
Posts: 847
Location: The Cleft, New Mexico
Shorah Jeff/lifetreegames and welcome to the MOULa forums :)

I remember playing and enjoying ROTS many years ago. I'm now on a Mac, so would be very interested in getting a 3-D version of ROTS for Mac. I do hope you are planning to make the upcoming 3-D ROTS PC/Mac/Linux compatible.

As with the others, I am very interested in seeing ROTS 3 developed, though I do understand your plan to test the waters with a remake of the original game (a much more cost-effective way to determine if Kickstarter is the way to go with development of new games). Again, I *really* hope you will be making ROTS 3 PC/Mac/Linux compatible too.

I agree with TOOO's comments about dying. Personally, I *detest* adventure games that include such morbidity in their designs. For combat games (and similar), it makes sense, but for exploration and thinking games, it doesn't and has always seemed to me something of an unfair penalty. When we are exploring and thinking logically, we should be able to try different things, learn from our mistakes or change our minds (just like in real life). Of course, if we do something blatantly stupid or risky (leaping into a rattlesnake pit comes to mind), then this is a different matter. ;)

In terms of gameplay mechanics, I'll just suggest you keep in mind that some people play on laptops (without an extended keyboard) and that Mac keyboards and pointing devices work a bit differently than their PC analogs. So including keyboard mapping or pointing device customization would be a plus.

Keep us posted about your work! :D

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:36 pm
Posts: 7
Location: Moselle, MO
Ainia wrote:
Shorah Jeff/lifetreegames and welcome to the MOULa forums :)

I remember playing and enjoying ROTS many years ago. I'm now on a Mac, so would be very interested in getting a 3-D version of ROTS for Mac. I do hope you are planning to make the upcoming 3-D ROTS PC/Mac/Linux compatible.

As with the others, I am very interested in seeing ROTS 3 developed, though I do understand your plan to test the waters with a remake of the original game (a much more cost-effective way to determine if Kickstarter is the way to go with development of new games). Again, I *really* hope you will be making ROTS 3 PC/Mac/Linux compatible too.

I agree with TOOO's comments about dying. Personally, I *detest* adventure games that include such morbidity in their designs. For combat games (and similar), it makes sense, but for exploration and thinking games, it doesn't and has always seemed to me something of an unfair penalty. When we are exploring and thinking logically, we should be able to try different things, learn from our mistakes or change our minds (just like in real life). Of course, if we do something blatantly stupid or risky (leaping into a rattlesnake pit comes to mind), then this is a different matter. ;)

In terms of gameplay mechanics, I'll just suggest you keep in mind that some people play on laptops (without an extended keyboard) and that Mac keyboards and pointing devices work a bit differently than their PC analogs. So including keyboard mapping or pointing device customization would be a plus.

Keep us posted about your work! :D


Will do, Ainia. Just to be sure, we're not developing for hardcore gaming CPUs/keyboard setups, rather we're making it as accessible to everyone as possible. In fact, my current setup is the latest MacBook Pro, and we're testing on primarily laptops. So, no worries there :)

Thanks again for helping us make our games better.

Oh, and ROTS 3D is already slated for Mac/Win/Linux and hopefully tablets.

_________________
Jeff Tobler
Developer of Riddle of the Sphinx


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:32 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:09 pm
Posts: 1987
Location: Berlin, Germany
Hello, Jeff Tobler, I was just looking for and into your newly launched Kickstarter campaign and onto your website ... This sounds and looks all very interesting and intriguing ... :P

It doesn't seem to be 'just' a remake of 'something old' as some might get the impression, it'll become almost something new as for enhanced and more environments, enhanced and new story and thus adventure/exploration as well as for much more interaction and free exploring, realistic sounds and animations e.g. fire, water, fume, dust, weather etc., yeah, just as realistic and alive as it can be ... 8)

I mean, ok, the basic familiar story and environment will remain, it's just what it is, a part of Egyptian history as far as it has been researched and been implemented into the game by the team, but they say much hasn't and will become a part of the future release and everything else will be vastly improved and enhanced ...

Ok, this was and still is an epic adventure game, which I didn't play back in the days, I started with others (not Myst lol), but I looked into 'The Omega Stone', and the ROTS I've watched on YouTube last year or in 2012 I believe, and I was absolutely and completely impressed, though I felt that this might have been a bit too complicated and complex to solve for me as for the riddles and exploration etc., so I was glad that someone very very passionate about it played it for all of us to enjoy (and not for the first time I believe, he went through there as if he has done this all since almost forever lol), so that it was an absolute feast for the eye and the senses etc. indeed ... :)

Ok, what I was asking myself, dear Mr. Tobler, is, if you're a bit shy to announce your new Kickstarter campaign here or if you just forgot to post the resp. links ... I mean, the sands of time are running and they're running fast in these days and times lol, we all know from recent experience how fast four weeks are just gone and over ... (There's no Paypal option yet btw.)

Ok, I thought I'd just add those links here for all who might be interested to have a look and/or might be even inspired to support this great project ...

'The Riddle of the Sphinx Kickstarter project' ending on 22 May 2014, and this is the website of 'LifeTreeGames', the developer's main homepage ...

Yeah, you're a very nice team behind an auspicious and impressive project ... I'll keep my fingers crossed and wish you the best of luck and success and above all much much fun ... Way to go! LTG team ... :D

_________________
MO:ULa is Image - Minkata Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:36 am
Posts: 318
Location: Outer Space
And if you feel inclined visit the cavern. When I'm on and you need help, I'll try my best ;)

_________________
Equal amongst others in the Guild of Sleepers


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:10 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:14 pm
Posts: 4250
Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Janaba, I presume he's just being considerate of Cyan.
There's a thread on the Cyan forums where a fan like you could post about it: Kickstarter Thread - Share Kickstarters.

_________________
Explorers Memorial * In Memoriam


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:36 pm
Posts: 7
Location: Moselle, MO
janaba1 wrote:
Hello, Jeff Tobler, I was just looking for and into your newly launched Kickstarter campaign and onto your website ... This sounds and looks all very interesting and intriguing ... :P

It doesn't seem to be 'just' a remake of 'something old' as some might get the impression, it'll become almost something new as for enhanced and more environments, enhanced and new story and thus adventure/exploration as well as for much more interaction and free exploring, realistic sounds and animations e.g. fire, water, fume, dust, weather etc., yeah, just as realistic and alive as it can be ... 8)

I mean, ok, the basic familiar story and environment will remain, it's just what it is, a part of Egyptian history as far as it has been researched and been implemented into the game by the team, but they say much hasn't and will become a part of the future release and everything else will be vastly improved and enhanced ...

Ok, this was and still is an epic adventure game, which I didn't play back in the days, I started with others (not Myst lol), but I looked into 'The Omega Stone', and the ROTS I've watched on YouTube last year or in 2012 I believe, and I was absolutely and completely impressed, though I felt that this might have been a bit too complicated and complex to solve for me as for the riddles and exploration etc., so I was glad that someone very very passionate about it played it for all of us to enjoy (and not for the first time I believe, he went through there as if he has done this all since almost forever lol), so that it was an absolute feast for the eye and the senses etc. indeed ... :)

Ok, what I was asking myself, dear Mr. Tobler, is, if you're a bit shy to announce your new Kickstarter campaign here or if you just forgot to post the resp. links ... I mean, the sands of time are running and they're running fast in these days and times lol, we all know from recent experience how fast four weeks are just gone and over ... (There's no Paypal option yet btw.)

Ok, I thought I'd just add those links here for all who might be interested to have a look and/or might be even inspired to support this great project ...

'The Riddle of the Sphinx Kickstarter project' ending on 22 May 2014, and this is the website of 'LifeTreeGames', the developer's main homepage ...

Yeah, you're a very nice team behind an auspicious and impressive project ... I'll keep my fingers crossed and wish you the best of luck and success and above all much much fun ... Way to go! LTG team ... :D


Hi Janaba1, you said everything I'd like to express. It really feels like a new game in many ways, but yes, it is still the core story of all of the actual non-fiction discoveries, the robot in the Queen's chamber, the seismograph of a hidden chamber of the Sphinx, and more... all wrapped into a fictional setting of ROTS and allowing the player to be the archaeologist who discovers it all.

Thank you for posting the project. Truthfully, we are behind in our trending, so we will need support. But we also believe the more people hear about it and understand the scope of this game and the others coming, the support will come. Hoping anyway ;)

Thanks again for your encouragement!

_________________
Jeff Tobler
Developer of Riddle of the Sphinx


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: