It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:19 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hey you're back, you're back!!

Nice to see you here, boblishman (and I still absolutely *love* Sonavio, though I'm *still* trying to break into the mineshaft!!) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:24 am 
Obduction Backer

Hi Ainia,

Well, Thank you for your kind words about Sonavio. It seems like a lifetime ago that I wrote that! I still shudder when I think about its biggest "flaw" ...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
the fact that when you finally manage to open the "secret steps" that I totally forgot to remove the collisions from the steps and replace them with simple (invisible planes). Because the steps are quite complex models, when they move, the amount of data being processed by the engine almost makes the Age grind to a halt. It's particularly noticeable in multiplayer. What I SHOULD have done was to have made the models of the steps WITHOUT any collision property ... and embedded into them a simple plane for each step that DID have collision set on it. That way, when the steps moved there would be almost NO collision data being sent and it would happen without any lag. Oh hindsight, what a cruel master you are ... ;)

As for "back" ... yes, I guess so now that, thanks to you and 'sky', I have got MOULa up and running on my iMac. I doubt I will be building any more Ages though ... not after what happened with Adrael :(

Now ... I just need to figure out how to get the Shards up and running on my iMac ... Any advice?
(I have no intentions of ever putting Windows onto my iMac via Bootcamp. I am now completely M$-free and intend staying that way...).

and ...

uʍop ǝpısdn ʇsod uɐɔ l 'sǝʎ

Ki # : 02037973

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Welcome back Bob!
boblishman wrote:
Now ... I just need to figure out how to get the Shards up and running on my iMac ... Any advice?

Yep, here. (Disclaimer: I haven’t tried it, so far I’ve only run the Gehn client on Windows in Parallels as I need Windows for development anyway.) Minkata also still works with the Cider wrapper from MOUL. For Deep Island I use CrossOver, but I think plain Wine should work as well these days.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah again boblishman :)

What Christian said for Gehn shard. And I've gotten the TOC MOULa-based shard running flawlessly using a Wineskin (though it's been such a while, I don't remember if I had to do anything "special").

On the other hand, the UruCC-based shards (and the standalone offline game) still taunt me mercilessly. I have gotten them installed and playing via Wineskin and Crossover but they all have the same horrible sound problems which thus far defy resolution... :evil:

BTW, you should be able to get all the other Myst-related games working on your Mac (RealMyst, Riven, Exile, Revelation, End of Ages for sure on Lion, RealMyst Masterpiece, Revelation and End of Ages for sure on Mavericks) . I've managed to do so using the gog.com versions via Wineskin (and the Revelation Cider wrapper from The Porting Team; though the port information seems to have been dropped from the web site, the linked file at dropbox still works).

Let me know if you have questions, I'd be happy to help out if I can! :D

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hi Ainia and Christian,

Thanks for the links and offers of help. Much appreciated. Still finding my Mac OSX "legs" at the moment so maybe a while before I'm brave enough to try the Gehn shard. I must admit though, seeing MOULa on my iMac at a higher screen resolution has made me very nervous about visiting any of my Ages. I'm quite stunned at how truly beautiful the texturing is in MOULa at higher res... and on a decent monitor!

If I get in a mess... I know where to call. Thanks guys!!

and ...

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:22 am 
Obduction Backer

I've never had any problem with any of the games on windows platform(s) so I see no reason to switch to MAC and have to go through all these compatibility issues....Maybe I'm one in a million? Lucky me

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Oh dear ... the stack dump is back. This time though it happens BEFORE the black loading screen... immediately I click the Uru Live ELUA ... :(

Any ideas?

EDIT: Could this be because I changed the graphic settings the last time I played (I "upped" them from 800 x 600 to a higher res) ?

If so, How do I fix this?

and ...

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah again boblishman!

The stack dump is a persistent problem for Mac Cider users in that the two offending files will be re-downloaded upon each login and so must be re-deleted before a new login. I can only theorize about why the Cider wrapper "objects" to the presence of these files, but the issue should eventually self-correct whenever the next MOULa update is rolled out by Cyan.

In the meanwhile, Cider users must either delete the two files by hand (I have pasted a shortcut to the dat folder next to my MOULa shortcut) or create a script to automatically delete the files before starting MOULa (Stone. posted instructions here).

Hope this helps. :) if not, please let me know, as you might be having a separate (new??) problem from the one mentioned above. In that case, you might try the standard deletion of the TOS.txt file, which should force the server to do a check and update of all your MOULa files.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes, this is (EDIT: now "was" : see below) a NEW problem. The two "offending files" are not in my dat folder as I delete them before trying to start the app.
I had managed to play successfully for several days, logging in and out at will (and removing the files each time) but the last time I played I decided to change the graphic settings whilst in-game. It continued to play (with a better, higher resolution) and I added the missing "headshot" to my avvy in the closet... and then I logged out (and deleted the 2 "offending files". Now, I cannot even get the (first) black book loading screen. The game stack dumps immediately after I click the EULA agreement. (Before, the stack dump was after the two "loading screens").

Now, I *could* just delete the whole app and start again but I was hoping to avoid the (slow) download of all the "dat" files for a fresh install.

I have a hunch the problem may be with the graphic settings ... which files contain those user preferences and can I just delete them ?

any help is appreciated.

thanks!

EDIT: OK, not sure what that was all about yesterday??????? I just tried again today to get in and .... BOOM.... straight into the loading screen(s) and safely into my Relto (and at the higher resolution too!!). I guess the cider was a bit too warm yesterday :-/

Thanks anyway for your help ... see you in the City!! :)

and ...

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:49 am 
Obduction Backer

Whew, so glad to hear you are back in business! :D

Wish we could tell more about what happened, though... Keep us posted here if you encounter any more symptoms. We'll get this sorted! ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks again.

Well, my BIG problem now is trying to get the Gehn Shard installed with Wineskin. The current installation instructions (http://forum.guildofwriters.org/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=5631) are totally out of date.

I have never used Wineskin/Winery before and I am getting LOTS of errors during the creation of the Wineskin wrapper although the Gehn installer starts to download all the dat files. That then "times out" ... the installer continues saying it is installed but when I try and run the wrapper it cannot find the UrULauncher.exe. At no point am I given an option to copy a previous install (from my MOULa ... well.... it's just a total mess.

The problem is that the thread hasn't been updated for two years and so its instructions bear no resemblance to Wineskin 2.6 which is the current version.

Someone who really "understands" Wineskin/Winery needs to write a set of instructions (for a NEW user) for the current version of Wineskin and the CURRENT Gehn installer (which does NOT ask for a folder to copy!)

I hope someone can help

****EDIT ******

Don't ask me how, but by hook or by crook (mostly copying the dat and sfx folders from my MOULa install and replacing the "zero bytes" files in the Gehn Wineskin install) and I managed to get in!!! It is doing "odd" things and I needed to change my dock settings to "hide on" and change the graphic settings in game to "Windowed" ... and then un-Windowed to make it behave "normally" ... but, hey, I'm in. I even managed to get into the Fan Age via the Nexus. Not sure how long this will last, but it's a start!

and ...

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Great! I was just setting up a wineskin install myself to see whether I could help you :)

The Gehn installer downloads the game now if it isn't detected (which probably doesn't happen because wineskin). This is meant to be an user friendly change but recently the servers have been having more issues (which can also happen with the official launcher). Usually people run the launcher in repair mode in that case but copying seems to work too :)

Btw, the wineskin method on mac isn't really officially supported as none of the developers uses a mac to play Uru and you're the first person to note that the guide is outdated afaik. I'll try to remember to make a updated version :)

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ok, my Gehn Wineskin install seems to work flawlessly. The second time I launched it it opened perfectly (Full screen with no dock). It downloads new Ages flawlessly when linking and all is good.

Creating the wrapper was not fun. Especially as it is the first wrapper I have ever made. However, now, with hindsight, it actually was not so complicated. I got errors saying that "UruLauncher had unexpectly quit" (typical Windows!) but I think that may have been more to do with the server than Wineskin. Once I had the Uru Gehn installer screen and it started to download the dat files I knew that the Wineskin wrapper build must have been ok. However, the downloading stopped and I got a message saying the server was not responding. However, after accepting the error, the Gehn installer continued and said the install had completed. I knew it hadn't as I had had the error box. Anyhow, when I checked inside the wrapper's dat folder I could see almost all of the files ... but then noticed that a lot of them said their size was "zero bytes". I then copied the dat folder from my Cider (MOULa) install to my desktop and then used that copy to replace the dat folder in my Wineskin wrapper. When I launched the Wineskin wrapper the game complained that it did not have a sfx ogg file... so when I checked in the sfx folder I found all those files had "zero bytes" file size. So I then copied the sfx folder from the Cider wrapper to my desktop and then used it to replace the sfx folder in the Wineskin wrapper. To my amazement, when I launched the Wineskin wrapper the game ran. However, it ran with the Mac OSX dock showing as well as the menu bar at the top of the screen and in widescreen. It made it a bit tricky to get into the spanner icon (persevere!) and into the game' settings screen where I changed it to Windowed mode. Of course, this made the game play in a tiny 800 x 600 window on my 1920 x 1080 iMac monitor, so I went back into the settings and changed it back to fullscreen. The dock disappeared and the game ran in fullscreen 4:3 mode (black side bars) which is actually how I prefer it to run (I hate the distortion caused by widescreen resolutions). I then quit the game and wrote my EDIT on my last post.

Since then, I have been in and out of the game several times without ANY issues. It runs as good as on native Windows, including the sound.

Now my only "beef" is that there are only a tiny fraction of the available Fan ages available on the Gehn shard, and none of the Ages I wrote have been "approved" for inclusion.

So now I have to try and get one of the other more "liberal" shards (that DO have my Ages available) wrapped up in Wineskin and running. I have done a quick look around but I don't seem to be able to find anything about anyone getting the Deep Island Shard running on MacOSX through Wineskin. Am I wasting my time trying to get it up and running using the DI setup.exe installer and Wineskin?

and ...

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:11 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for the post. As Luna said, I don't use a Mac, so I can't be of much help there.

A few folks have been complaining that MOULa likes to kick them off before they can download the entire game. Those Atrus.p2f files seem to be especially problematic. So, I have spent some time making the launcher willing to continue downloading and try those files again later. I also changed the error message to something a little more useful ("Download Failed blahfile. There appears to be a problem with your URU install, please run the repair utility from the start menu").

Unfortunately, I don't think I can change the installer to be smarter about re-launching the repair. I'm using NSIS, which is a fairly dumb script thing. It would be pretty lame to trash everything that was downloaded just because the server färted (I have very slow internets, so I am very sensitive to wasted download time).

This should all be available in Gehn 20, which is releasing in the next month.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah again boblishman,

So glad you have Gehn up and running! :) I will check my own version of that Wineskin and see if there are any other tips I can pass on to you.

One issue with the MOULa-based shards to keep in mind: they are not based on the current version of MOULa but the pre-November 2013 version. The November update is where the error causing the Cider fail came from and I believe the shards chose to await the future update which is supposed to correct this (at which point, the MOULa-based shards will once again be in synch with MOULa itself). Although Cyan rolled back the November update to the earlier Build 918, the current MOULa installation is *not* identical to the older one (see Mac_Fife's note here), though *should* only differ in the presence of the two new files in the dat folder. However, I'm suspicious there is more than that to the differences...

I am pointing this out just in case you discover some strangeness that might result from copying your MOULa files into your Gehn Wineskin. So keep an eye on things there...

Regarding the DI shard, as I mentioned earlier, I've been able to get the UruCC-based Wineskins to work (UruCc offline and DI shard) but they have horrible sound problems. Thus far, I haven't figured out if there's a magical combination of Wine engine version and/or Winetricks that overcome this. korovev seems to have a working Wineskin but my copy of it still has the same sound problems.

I will point out that in my very limited testing, the sound problems are not universal, but appear persistently in some locations (Nexus and parts of the Hoods so far, with Relto behaving just fine, though I haven't tested much more than that). I suspect this is an audio driver problem, but haven't been able to verify it. Similar sound problems can occur when the sound files haven't been decompressed, but I've ported copies directly from a Windows UruCC install which I know works flawlessly (which I've used many times via Bootcamp). So I believe the root problem must lie elsewhere.

BTW, since you have gotten Gehn to work correctly, you might want to create a Wineskin for the MOULa flavor of The Open Cave shard. They have some very nice enhancements there. The City of Dimensions is an explorable and enhanced version of Ae'gura, plus I very much enjoy visiting and playing with my kitty who lives there, Maxxie.

If you haven't found it already, korovev created two very nice, comprehensive posts about MOUL on Macs here and here. We really need to get Hannah to make them stickies... :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next