It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:16 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ainia wrote:
Regarding the DI shard, as I mentioned earlier, I've been able to get the UruCC-based Wineskins to work (UruCc offline and DI shard) but they have horrible sound problems. Thus far, I haven't figured out if there's a magical combination of Wine engine version and/or Winetricks that overcome this. korovev seems to have a working Wineskin but my copy of it still has the same sound problems.

I will point out that in my very limited testing, the sound problems are not universal, but appear persistently in some locations (Nexus and parts of the Hoods so far, with Relto behaving just fine, though I haven't tested much more than that). I suspect this is an audio driver problem, but haven't been able to verify it. Similar sound problems can occur when the sound files haven't been decompressed, but I've ported copies directly from a Windows UruCC install which I know works flawlessly (which I've used many times via Bootcamp). So I believe the root problem must lie elsewhere.

Cross-reference for people who are not following both places: The sound issues with CC + Wine/CrossOver are also currently being discussed on the Cyan forum. They indeed appear to be unrelated to the sound issues with MOUL + Wine (which stem from bad decompression).

(Ainia, I find it interesting that Relto is “behaving just fine” for you, whereas it isn’t for me and wstrohm on CrossOver. Maybe there are several unrelated problems and/or differences between CrossOver and Wine.)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ainia wrote:
Regarding the DI shard, as I mentioned earlier, I've been able to get the UruCC-based Wineskins to work (UruCc offline and DI shard) but they have horrible sound problems. Thus far, I haven't figured out if there's a magical combination of Wine engine version and/or Winetricks that overcome this. korovev seems to have a working Wineskin but my copy of it still has the same sound problems.

No, I have the same sound issues, I just turn off the volume ;)
Relto and Zandi's trailer sound the worst; fan Ages usually have no problems.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

PRAISE BE TO YAHVO!!! :D :D

I believe I've conquered the UruCC Wineskin audio problems! :)

For folks who already have UruCC Wineskins installed, roll the engine back to version 1.5.0; simple as that!

For folks who want a fresh Wineskin, here are the ones I've just updated for my own use (note, these are .dmg files, you will need to right-click and pick Download Linked File):

And while I'm at it, here are the wrappers (.dmg files) I use for two of the MOULa-based shards:

As with all Wineskins, you will need to install and configure the software yourself; the wrappers *should* have the correct settings to work properly with the relevant software.

[[A possible exception is the Gehn wrapper, which became too large after making some Winetricks setting changes... please let me know if you have trouble with this one and I'll pass on the setting changes so you can make them yourself.]]

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:41 am 
Obduction Backer

Ainia wrote:
As with all Wineskins, you will need to install and configure the software yourself; the wrappers *should* have the correct settings to work properly with the relevant software.

I am downloading now the DI Shard wineskin. Now, I have Uru ABM and POtS ... not CC. I'll see what happens.

I tried to make a wineskin for ABM but it fails with the installer... and checking online it seems that no-one has managed to get a wrapper to get past the installer for Uru:ABM. Thanks for the help so far... I'll let you know how it goes.

***EDIT*** Just as I thought ... using the DI wrapper, when I try and install Uru:ABM the installer crashes :(

and ...

uʍop ǝpısdn ʇsod uɐɔ l 'sǝʎ

Ki # : 02037973

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah boblishman,

It might be worth your while to grab the gog.com version of UruCC, then. It's fairly affordable at $9.99US. It will go on sale from time to time at half off ($4.99US) if you're not in a hurry.

Another workaround (if you can find a Windows box to install the game on): do a complete installation in Windows and then copy the entire Uru directory to a thumb drive. You can then move the thumb drive contents to your destination directory in your Wineskin. Since no flavors of Uru alter registry or user settings in Windows, this is a very safe option. In going this route, I'd suggest you keep that thumb drive in a safe place as a backup should you need to reinstall later.

Another issue in favor of getting the gog.com version; it's DRM-free, which means you don't need to mount the game CD in order to play it. Especially since many newer PCs/laptops don't come with internal CD drives anymore, this can be an important consideration.

Welcome to the Uru Mac world, where the puzzles are just as challenging as any in the Ages!! :D

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ainia wrote:

And while I'm at it, here are the wrappers (.dmg files) I use for two of the MOULa-based shards:

Hi Ainia

Just a "heads up" to let you know that the TOC-MOULa .dmg doesn't install. It starts, then hangs during the install screen- The report says that there are some .dll files missing that the installer needs.

I have't tried your Gehn .dmg (as the one I made with Wineskin 2.6.0 and the latest engine works perfectly.)

I have made a new TOC Wineskin using 2.6.0. and the latest engine and its now downloading the Shard files.

I'll let you know how the TOC-MOULa runs and if I need to change the engine ...

and ...

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ainia wrote:
Shorah boblishman,

It's fairly affordable at $9.99US. It will go on sale from time to time at half off ($4.99US) if you're not in a hurry.

It's not the money, it's the principle. I am not buying the same game twice, even if it goes down to $5. By hook or by crook (probably get a Windows friend to install) I'll get the Windows install folder onto a pen drive and use that method. Thanks for the help! :)

and ...

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

boblishman wrote:
Hi Ainia

Just a "heads up" to let you know that the TOC-MOULa .dmg doesn't install. It starts, then hangs during the install screen- The report says that there are some .dll files missing that the installer needs.

I have't tried your Gehn .dmg (as the one I made with Wineskin 2.6.0 and the latest engine works perfectly.)

I have made a new TOC Wineskin using 2.6.0. and the latest engine and its now downloading the Shard files.

I'll let you know how the TOC-MOULa runs and if I need to change the engine ...

Thanks for the feedback! I'll update the wrapper and engine versions accordingly. :)

boblishman wrote:
It's not the money, it's the principle. I am not buying the same game twice, even if it goes down to $5. By hook or by crook (probably get a Windows friend to install) I'll get the Windows install folder onto a pen drive and use that method. Thanks for the help! :)

Yeah, I understand! ;) in this case, you'll want to find a no-CD crack version of the .exe files. I've gone down this route myself in the past and spent countless hours wrestling this alligator. In my case, I reached a point where I'd spent more time than it was worth trying to resolve things (and *no* time playing my favorite games of all time). So I didn't mind paying someone else $5 to solve them for me! :D

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

So... My TOC install is a mess. Kinda.
I created a Wineskin exactly the same as I did for the Gehn Shard, and, exactly the same as the Gehn install, lots of the game file downloads came in at zero bytes, so I copied across the dat and sfx folders from MOULa (the same as I did for the Gehn Shard). The game then started to run ... downloading some more game files and finally I got the TOC's "create player" screen. The mouse was a nightmare but eventually I managed to create a new avatar name and sex and hit "play".

Now, this is where the real fun starts. I now get the Cyan (dark) opening screen to set the gamma ... and hit the play Uru button:

The screen then goes to a (TOC) loading screen ... and then the screen opens to ....solid colour... the colour of the background for the avatar personalisation screen (closet) but nothing else ... except the hotspots! Now, as I know more or less on the screen which and where those hotspots are, I was able to hit the >>Uru one and the screen blackened and took me to the loading screen for Relto ... and into Relto. Perfect sound BUT ... no graphics. Just the plain "blue" background colour for Relto., nothing (and I mean nothing!) else.

Great sound though! No crackle ... perfect.

So, my question is ... obviously there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with the graphic driver running in the Wineskin wrapper... so my question is: Is there a "quick fix" for this ? ... or do I remove the whole wrapper and start from scratch (or maybe save the dat & sfx folders?)
Any ideas?

and ...

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah boblishman,

First I'll ask a somewhat obvious question... you are trying to install the TOC MOULa version right? (Not the TOC UruCC version.)

If you're sure you've been downloading/installing their MOULa files, then I'll need to check the settings in my Wineskin at home to answer your question about graphics drivers, etc.

BTW, one setting that seems to "make or break" some Uru Wineskins is the "window decoration" (which toggles between a fullscreen or stretched-to-fit windowed version showing the app name and menu at the top). You might try fiddling with this and see if it makes a difference. I know it did for my Gehn install.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes, the TOC-MOULa version. (Don't ask about CC ... I still cannot get an install for CC, no matter *what* I try ...). I'm really baffled by this TOC-MOULa graphics issue. Obviously I have all the necessary game files downloaded or I wouldn't be able to get into my (invisible) Relto. It's just weird.

and ...

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah again boblishman,

Have you tried toggling the "Decorate windows" option? If not, you can read more information about it here.
To get to the relevant menu, you will need to right-click your TOC MOULa application and select Show Package Contents, then double-click the Wineskin app. This should launch a small menu; select the Set Screen Options button there, which will take you to the screen shown above.
I'd be interested to hear what happens, if anything, when you change this setting.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Okay ... it just gets weirder.
First, the Decorate windows makes no difference, on or off ...

This is my log in screen ...

and, when I create a new player, it takes me to this screen ...

Second... and this is really strange ... I CAN get into the game (by fumbling in the screen and finding the hotspots) and, when I do get into my "blank" Relto the icons work ... so does the chat... I can also get into my in-game settings panel (which I have used to set it to run it in Windowed mode). This next screenshot, believe it or not, is IN my Relto (???????)

but here comes the freaky part ... this is what I get if I click on my Relto Book icon ...

and if I click the book ... it animates (perfectly) and I get this...!!

soooooo ... my conclusion is that this is NOT a graphics driver issue ... but that I simply have no game files for my Relto OR my closet( ?????) ... and I cannot remember what their .prp files are be called ....arrghghg (I know they are not called relto.prp) ... so I must NOT be getting them from the server?? ...or what???

btw, those last screenshots are IN my Relto. I have perfect sound (so I know I'm there), plus, if I click on the Panel in the (odd, large) Relto book, I link back to my blank, blue Relto.

How do I force TOC to redownload "missing" files ???

***NB: When I did the install, it NEVER asked me for the location of my MOULa install to copy game files from. After the install "finished", I found hundreds of zero byte files listed in the dat and sfx folders. I replaced those with copies from the Gehn Shard which may not have been the best idea :( ...)

I am so close to getting this work it almost hurts!!!

wtf.... ???????

and ...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah again boblishman!

Wow, cool Relto book glitch! ;)

I've never seen it from those angles before; and quite honestly, I'm impressed that it's even possible to see it this way at all. :)

I agree, it wasn't the best idea to copy your Gehn shard files into TOC. Both Gehn and TOC MOULa are *based* on Cyan's MOULa files, but customize things beyond Cyan MOULa. So Gehn's customizations will be unique to Gehn, TOC's customizations will be unique to TOC.

The Gehn installer is a relatively new "invention" by the folks at the GoW. In earlier days, explorers had to make copies of their Cyan MOULa installation and then customize them for use with the shard of choice. Although it looks like TOC has created a similar installer, particularly if you have a slow or unreliable internet connection, I'd suggest that you simply ensure your TOC Wineskin has a complete copy of a working MOULa installation already copied/pasted inside (but be careful to delete the two files in the dat directory, GlobalClothing_District_FemaleFan01.prp and GlobalClothing_District_MaleFan01.prp; these two files are unique to Cyan MOULa and may have unintended consequences if left in a TOC or Gehn shard installation). This will allow the TOC installer to work faster and avoid the apparent errors you were seeing in downloading the MOULa core files (all the 0 byte files you noticed).

BTW, I *think* the Relto age files are called PersonalAge or something similar (psnlAge maybe? Not at home where I can check for sure...). You might experiment a bit with this if you like... but it would probably be faster to just copy/paste your working MOULa files and then delete the two GlobalClothing files.

Here's to hoping we have this rascal nearly conquered! :D

I think you will enjoy exploring TOC once we get it working for you! BTW, if you like, I'd enjoy meeting up with you there and exploring all their fun stuff together! If nothing else, I can help you find your kitty, assuming you're a cat person; and if you're not fond of cats, you can change him to a raven instead ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ainia wrote:
The Gehn installer is a relatively new "invention" by the folks at the GoW

It's only been available since day 1. I made the scripts available so that other shards could be just as "easy" to install (we apparently still have some work to do in that regard).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next