It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:48 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:54 am 
Obduction Backer

From this chatlog:
Quote:
(06/26 04:24:18) Chloe: nIck, there's been debates recently about the slave cages in teledahn, wether or not it was bahro that were kept there by the d'ni. Can you verify if the Bahro were kept there, or another slave race?
(06/26 04:24:34) Nick White: Another as far as I know.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:48 am 

Talashar wrote:
From this chatlog:
Quote:
(06/26 04:24:18) Chloe: nIck, there's been debates recently about the slave cages in teledahn, wether or not it was bahro that were kept there by the d'ni. Can you verify if the Bahro were kept there, or another slave race?
(06/26 04:24:34) Nick White: Another as far as I know.

Yeesha makes this comment in her recorded speech which is heard in the Bahro cave after an explorer completes Teledahn:

Quote:
Did you see the hidden caves and the cages? It is where the Proud would would keep the Least. The Least were only animals after all. Animals that could link.

That's a Bahro ability-- power to link naturally. I think that makes it pretty clear, the Bahro were housed in those slave caves in Teledahn.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Teledahn was used in conjunction to Rebek, slaves were shuffled from one Age to the other as part of the trading and games. The slaves/creatures on Rebek are very different looking folks.

In regards to the "animals that could link" thing. I'm not sure how much stock to put into that. Given the nature of how Linking works any living creature can Link. However with more sentient creatures you can tell them "hey use Book A or I'll whip you" and they'll use Book A. But if you have a cat and tell it to use Book A it will just look at you and proceed to clean its paws.

Now given the enslavement of the Bahro, it would seem to me that their innate ability to Link at will would be seen as a security issue. It's not easy to keep slaves that can go whether they want in space and time. It is likely that part of their tiered enslavement system would be to block this ability to Link at will. Whether this is a general stopping of them Linking anywhere or a "well we'll let them just Link to D'ni and Ages B and C" remains to be seen. I'm more inclined to believe the former myself, but its hard to judge just how much knowledge the D'ni had of the Bahro and if at the time of enslavement there was sufficient knowledge to block all linking or selective locations.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:35 pm 

It seems to me that the D'ni took a page from human history. Or, more likely, some D'ni ideas made their way into human society, given that the D'ni had a head start. Basic philosophy is that there everyone that isn't "us" is less powerful, and therefore less worthy, so "they" are there for our convenience.

I'd always kind of hoped that the whole slave thread in the story was a smear campaign. Obviously, it's not. A trip through Teledahn is all it takes to expose the wonders of the D'ni and their fancy writings. "Look on our mighty works, ye weak, and despair, for soon you shall be building for us, carrying our burdens, and fighting our battles for our amusement." By their infrastructure you will know them; examples abound in human history. Esher was full of it.

It's all very Roman. Maybe the rise of Roman power was helped along by a wandering D'ni up from the Cavern in about 200BC.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:40 pm 

Then there is the morality of Esher. We don't know where he stood within the range of D'ni behavior but I'm not an optimist. There is also the punishment of those who could write. I suspect the D'ni were right in the penalty and Ann was wrong - a writer has too much power. Also the punishment of exile/death in a trap book - Atrus own favorite form of punishment. Some of what I see here echos Nietzsche slave and master morality with every D'ni descendent we know practicing master morality, including Yeesha.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2