It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: pods
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:02 am 

Depends on the browser for me. i can't see times with FF, but IE works.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:33 am 

Seems to be a browser problem for me also. Firefox doesn't work, but Chrome does. Still not sure if the time will be accurate. I'll have to give it a try.

KI# 29337

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:57 am 
Obduction Backer

I use the Reallife site too - I find it accurate but not to the exact minute. My tip is to be there early, as sometimes the portal appears a few minutes ahead of the predicted time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:51 am 
Obduction Backer

Moiety Jean wrote:
So, I'm guessing the wipe will have de-synched all tools?

No, the portal times are tied to absolute time, so they were not affected by the wipe. All tools should continue to be accurate as long as the server clock is set correctly.

The gotcha is that occasionally, the server clock has been set incorrectly lately (though not since the wipe as far as I’m informed), as discussed earlier in this thread.

The Uru Reallife Calendar is generally accurate in my experience (to about a minute and a half right now), as is Zik Clock/Pod Clock – I already verified that. :) Keep in mind that the latter is intentionally off by a few minutes if you don’t calibrate it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:33 pm 

And whatever the clock you are using, remember that the portal won't show exactly at the same time for everyone***. I've been waiting lately with many buddies each inside different pods and they didn't open all at the same exact time. Some were already returned in their Relto from the bahro cave while others were still waiting in their pod for the portal to show up and they did show up! :D

***: There's a notable exception to that rule: if you are named Annabelle, have 2 computers with 1 avatar in each of their pod waiting for the same exact portal, then the 2 silly portals will be opening up at the same exact second, transforming the named Annabelle into a human octopus to grab the 2 portals. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Here are some more experiences coming in fresh from the cavern lol ... :P

Ok, I'm generally using and comparing three sources, I've included Christian's here as a fourth, before and after calibration (didn't know how that worked and that it works lol, now I know, very nice) ... 8)

I'm listing the examples with times as shown before the portals:
I missed Negilahn today, so, I start with Dereno, the times are local, so, my time, but that doesn't matter for others

1- Christian's Pod Clock: 14:08
2- Portal Calculator 4 by trylon : 14:15
3- D'ni Museum of Art Pod Clock: 14:18
4- Uru RealLife Pod age map: 14:21

The portal appeared exactly, I've opened the KI, at 14:18 = 06:18 KI time

Payiferen portal
1- 14:40
2- 14:49
3- 14:51
4- 14:54

The portal appeared exactly at 14:51 = 06:51 KI time

I didn't know about that calibration feature, Christian, and after having figured that out your Pod clock showed the times correctly for the future ... :P

So, you see they're all quite accurate, though the one on D'ni Museum of Art seems to be the most correct by now, for me at least ... The thing here is that it doesn't observe DST, it shows UTC+1, so, I had to add an hour ... It is btw very interesting what you're saying, Annabelle, I mean that different explorers might experience portal openings at slightly different times ...

Portal Calculator 4 as you see seems to be quite close too ... In case anyone might be interested in that one as trylon's link doesn't work anymore, you could download it from my MediaFire link ... It is a very small executable app without having to be installed, it has 28 kb only and shows times in UTC and local in an easy and simple overview, not as fancy as Christian's lol, but convenient nevertheless ... Tetsonot appears in about two hours that's why I've not mentioned it here ... Happy portal jumping everyone ... :D

Here's a screenshot of PC4, maybe anyone here remembers that
[Reveal] Spoiler:

I'd like to add that the Uru RealLife Pod age map only works in IE and not in FF for me ... :)

Edit: I'd like to add the times for Tetsonot
1- 17:37 after calibration 8)
2- 17:34
3- 17:38
4- 17:40

The portal appeared at exactly 17:37 = 09:37 KI time, means the newly calibrated time of Christian's app ... :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Annabelle wrote:
And whatever the clock you are using, remember that the portal won't show exactly at the same time for everyone***

I hear that a lot, but I still don’t know how to reconcile it with my own experience that the portals are predictable to a second or better (taking into account drift of the server time)… are the offsets between different people deterministic? :?:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Christian Walther wrote:
Annabelle wrote:
And whatever the clock you are using, remember that the portal won't show exactly at the same time for everyone***

I hear that a lot, but I still don’t know how to reconcile it with my own experience that the portals are predictable to a second or better (taking into account drift of the server time)… are the offsets between different people deterministic? :?:

I had the same yesterday being in contact with D'Lanor. For one portal he was already back to Relto when I was still waiting for my portal to appear while it had been just the other way round for the second portal.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:35 pm 

Christian Walther wrote:

I dunno if it's deterministic... It's by pure observations from my parts and others (like Morgon's post above).

You know, it looks like the "subworld warp" when many people are in the same age waiting for the subworld "door" (if I can express it that way) arrives in the centre of their screens.

I remember telling this to some of my buddies in Gahreesen for example (or maybe more appropriately laughing at their suspected "bad luck")

"Hey you forgot to jump when the bridge came! LOL"

To what all my buddies answered me...

"What bridge? It's coming up! And how come YOU (as me) jumped in the void???"

(I stop laughing and asking when I realised what was going on)

It seems that the server doesn't show the exact same reality for everyone. I also realised that when I tried to help myself remotely with a combo climb I had a lot of difficulties doing it back in the time. My remote avatar (my viewer) was no help at all as she wasn't really seeing what my controlled avatar was doing (the climber).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:20 am 

You're right, it is working closely enough to tell me when to go and wait in the pod. That's all I need!

Annabelle, this human octopus effect.. I hope it's reversible! ;) ::imagines Octo Dad flailing his way through the cavern::

KI# 29337

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

I used the one Annabelle posted and Got three last night, still have to get Tetsonot. . .but the calculator was within a minute or 2 give or take of the appearance of the portals

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:12 pm 

My portals appeared about 3 or 4 minutes before they were predicted, so I'm glad I got there early. Now to find a time that fits with my schedule to pick up Negilahn's and Dereno's portals...

KI# 29337

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:48 pm 

I would say that for 99% of the pods I have been waiting for recently, I got all of them within 3 minutes from time scheduled on the link I shared previously.

I just missed 1 Tetsonot portal because I mixed up 2 accounts so I ended up reloading the same account on my 2nd PC causing a Net 17 on the 1st. Otherwise, I would have had them all.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:59 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm in cavern right now, and just got Direno and Payiferen, one right after the other. Barely had time, because I thought they were upstairs, not downstairs. :? But it was world of mouth how I found out. I went to the reallife website, and only see NaN, etc. text, no times, in Firefox. I'll try in Chrome.

Edit: I just checked Chrome, and the countdown is working in the reallife calendar, but not sure how accurate it is. Says Tetsonot portal will open in about 2 hrs 30 mins.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:21 am 
Obduction Backer

Christian Walther said:-
Quote:
I hear that a lot, but I still don’t know how to reconcile it with my own experience that the portals are predictable to a second or better (taking into account drift of the server time)… are the offsets between different people deterministic?

The belief in old Gametap forums was that the Pod portals sequence by DRC Hood number order...If true that would mean that 20 Neighbors max could be identically portalled, I suppose...otherwise it appears random for avies online and their hood proximities or KI numbers..and the advice given at the time was "to assume +/- 6 minutes accuracy". Someone must have known this from the code, in order to to declare it so.... but it might be interesting to test it.

I'll challenge janeerah. He's good at group empirical stuff !

OH ! and I ought to give you my old favorite Pod Clock url (Thanks to Andreus Jurenda :!: ), it had huge promise, not quite complete, but still remains very useful I submit. Its original intent was to let the user build their own versions, I seem to remember, to track all Pod events. But the baseline still stands. Here it is:-

http://members.chello.at/andreas.jurenda/moul/negilahnportalcalculator.htm

You can make your own adjustments; and it does deal with Daylight savings etc, I havn't checked its accuracy lately. I made my own 2 page Paper slide-rule Clock based on accurate Portal Intervals (with dawn and dusk etc) .. so all I need is any one reference time to align it for all present events in all Pods. I ought to post the Portal intervals for reference I suppose, which were originally derived from the Chart in Aegura Museum, ... as soon as I find my Paper Clock Records :(

Hope this helps...

Hi All !!.....Myst'ya !.....