It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:20 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:17 am 
Obduction Backer

There was another story I remember. I believe this was after the GameTap era, after Cyan brought the cavern back to us.

At the time, I was hanging around helping with door runs. Don't ask me why, but the people doing them all seemed like good people and I enjoyed it.

There was one run I remember in particular, not because of anything spectacular that happened, but rather who I ran into.

I don't remember the name, but it was a little kid. I think he was around 10 at the time. And while our conversation really wasn't about anything important, I remember thinking that Myst really is universal.

That's it really. We went thought the door and collected the stone, and parted ways. I don't know what it was about this particular moment that stuck with me. It does strike me that Myst has the capacity to really bring people together, of all ages, races, and cultures. For whatever reason, it has endured in this manner. I know I've already gone on about how special I think the Myst community is, but this moment, to me, really highlighted that fact.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
DaVinci wrote:
There was a young avatar that came into the Guild of Greeters hood. Re'Ro'Dahn was his name, a frightened and scared explorer. He had been to the public city earlier seeking help and not getting any went to the GOG. There he stayed in the shadows trying to seek help but no one spoke his is language.

Do you remember? :)

Yes, I remember it quite well. It was very exciting! I thought it was done very, very well. It really seemed as if it might be real. Thank you for posting about it and reminding me of it. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:58 am 

Well, heck.. I actually had a reminder tonight, of a meager little story I'd like to tell about my first few weeks as an explorer in Uru.

My first playthrough, I did everything I could without looking at cheats.. if I got stuck, I decided I'd just come back, solve that bit later. But.. of course, nobody sticks with that. Sometimes you get to the point where no hint is enough, and you have the option of walking away in frustration.. or cheating a little.

Also, I didn't consider it TOO much of a cheat, to look up the locations of Relto pages. I found out thru some 'spoiler' sites that there was a music player available for Relto.. and it was located in Descent. Furthermore, I discovered the the only way into Descent was via a Bahro stone found in the rubble beside Tokotah Alley.

WHAT I gleaned about the Bahro stones, tho.. is that sometimes they show up, other times they don't. Sooo..... I am not joking.. I spent 6 hours one day, then about 5 the next, waiting in the rubble, popping out and solving stuff, then coming back to the rubble just HOPING that darn Bahro stone would show up.... and it never, ever did.

FINALLY, I told someone what I was looking for, and they said "You will probably have to look in the hood instance of the city."

And THIS was how I finally learned about there being different instances of various places. Before that, I did think it was weird that I'd leave the city when it was full, and then within about 10 minutes I'd come back and it was empty... well, I felt rather silly.

But I got my music cannen!!! And, I found the second cannen in the Kadish Gallery all on my own.

But, there's good news!! I just left the public instance of the city tonight... for some odd reason, before I left I popped into that pile of rubble.. and what to my wondering eyes did appear? There it was, the Descent linking stone, right there in the public instance!!!!

It's a new day in Uru!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:59 am 
Obduction Backer

HarveyMidnight wrote:
FINALLY, I told someone what I was looking for, and they said "You will probably have to look in the hood instance of the city."
(...)
There it was, the Descent linking stone, right there in the public instance!!!!

I guess we can then call that a urban cavern myth once and for all :mrgreen:

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:33 pm 

I was given a copy of Uru as a gift sometime in '04 or '05 - basically, just after the first Uru Live ended, which killed me. I played the standalone game and expansions endlessly, so I knew all the ropes by the time the GameTap version launched and I finally got to be a real "explorer." That year-or-so period in '06-'07 was one of my best experiences, and it still means a lot to me. A few little stories:

-----------------------

About a year ago, I was doing some closet cleaning, and I had reached the stage of deciding which of my old high school essays and homework assignments to throw away. After starting in on my towering pile of deformed multicolor folders, I began noticing an odd pattern. On the backs of worksheets and scraps of notebook paper, I had scribbled down lists of weird names, dozens of them, all in groups of seven, numbered.

I had an embarrassingly long moment of bewilderment before I realized that I was looking at the documented records of each and every "door run" that I had called in Eder Delin and Eder Tsogal. Some of those names had since become good friends. Others, I had probably never spoken to before or after that random encounter of strangers, yet I remembered them, and even a few of their colorful personalities.

Of course, I kept the lists, and even now, late in 2014, I'm still adding to them.

-----------------------

After a "town hall" event in some neighborhood auditorium - back in '07, those were going on almost nightly in the cavern - I ended up being invited by a small group of people visiting someone's Relto. We spent a while there, kicking around firemarbles, hopping islands or just walking. It was getting late, and people were starting to leave, one by one; eventually, the only ones left were another explorer, a girl named Luona, and myself.

Luona and I decided to go to Kadish Tolesa. On our peaceful stroll through the Age, we stopped in every room along the way, speculating to each other on the history of the place and what might be behind all the doors we couldn't open. We ended up at the overlook - you know the one - and sat down on the edge together. We kept talking until about four o'clock in the morning, about all manner of things. It was one of those conversations you remember.

I lost track of her after the GameTap version shut down. Luona, if you're still around: thanks for that. Would love to do it again sometime!

-----------------------

I love roleplaying in Uru. It's the only MMO that has made me feel like we as players were actually part of the story, like a big game of Dungeons and Dragons.

I even loved the ugly chapters. One of the more ignominious sidebars in Uru lore - an episode I suspect many people would like to forget - was the "Anti-DRC Movement," led by Sydney Austin and her merry men. They were loud, confrontational, and, well - "controversial" would be an understatement. In April of '07, they held a disastrous public meeting which devolved into complete chaos; it was the only time I've ever seen a gathering of explorers become an angry, unruly mob.

At that time, I had joined an obscure IC group called the "Unbound Hearts," a neutral faction dedicated to "protecting" those who felt threatened by the political storms brewing in the cavern. (Yeah, we were a little melodramatic - drama is good for story, after all. :) ) Our leader at the time was a man named Vormaen; he and Sydney had been quite publicly at each other's throats. As for me, I was trying to nudge UH into taking a more active role in current events. During that awful night at the ADM, I had an idea.

After the organizers gave up on their futile attempts to resume the speaker itinerary, I made my way up to the front and found the ADM leaders. On a whim, I invited the 4-5 of them to retreat to the Unbound Hearts' hood, offering an opportunity to have a more civil conversation about their ideas. Sydney never came, but I was delighted that her colleagues did, including Chloe Rhodes (of whom I am still very fond). We had a great discussion in the fountain courtyard that night, especially about Chloe's theories regarding the Bahro and the origins of linking technology. It stood in sharp contrast to the bedlam we had witnessed just hours before.

Not long after that event, Vormaen resigned his leadership of the Unbound Hearts and turned the position over to me. Inspired by what had happened, I recast the Unbound Hearts as not only a "sanctuary," but a neutral meeting place where groups with heated political differences could be ensured of a safe, respectful environment and a civil dialog. In the end, my little initiative was overshadowed by (frankly) more capable groups, like the D'net and the Guild of Messengers. But in my time, I did some Yeesha preachin', I stood on a stage with some big names, and once I was even entrusted with "secret documents" by a turncoat from a rival faction. I felt like I had made a tiny contribution to the epic tale that is Uru, and that was (and is) an awesome feeling.

KI #140389 | Unbound Hearts | Twitter | Tumblr | Blog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:24 am 
Obduction Backer

Everyone is telling stories about Uru and I have some of those too, but I want to tell you about my first meeting with the Myst Community. I had played Myst alone, and played Riven, mostly alone. I got some help from the Prodigy Games Bulletin Board for the firemarble puzzle, and that was it for a while. Because I had registered these programs, I got a notice about Myst III Exile when it came out in 2001, but the game wouldn't run on my computer. By then I had a real internet connection, Prodigy having gone from a closed format to an open internet one. I went to the Exile forum, hosted by Ubisoft, and discovered a patch for Exile and a whole group of people from all over the world talking about the game and everything else that you can imagine.

There was a very young teenager there who was the forum moderator. His name was Alahmnat, and he ruled the Exile forum with an iron hand. Nobody dared get out of line there. After everyone finished playing the game, the "Exile Forumites" created their own stories, in a round robin fashion where each poster continued the story as he or she liked. These stories were called Mysthillariums. In the beginning, the stories were short and made pretty good sense; later ones rambled around in circles and got boring. One of the players, named Emmex, created a PDF file of the first Mysthillarium, added graphics from the game. Between Emmex and Preacherman, the first three Mysthillariums were saved to PDF files. using RL photos of the contributors. These PDF files were private, submitted only to the people who sent him their photos. I got them later after getting permission from everyone who had a RL photo there.

In between Mysthillarium 2 and Mysthillarium 3 was a story called Trip To Mars, and I thought it would be cool to make a web site of that one. It was a big hit with everyone on the forum. Preacherman owned the domain name mysthillarium.com and when it came up for renewal he arranged to transfer it to me. I I have had it ever since and had gone on to put the first, second and third Mysthillarium stories (minus the RL photos) on the site as well as some subsequent ones, including a Riven BBQ, a Trip to Brussels, and a journey through time as well as to a newly discovered cavern.

As the cancellation of the first UruLive loomed large, an explorer named Hogarth started collecting Ki pictures of other explorers, calling it the Rogue's Gallery. I put that on Mysthillarium as well. There is also a section of vocal recordings by explorers describing their appreciation for the Until Uru Shards after UruLive was cancelled.

The web pages look a bit primitive to me now 13 years after being created with clip art, but they were a lot fun to create. Maybe when I retire I can upgrade and add some the others I still have saved.

Check it out here. http://www.mysthillarium.com/

Last edited by Donahoo on Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:43 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I am greatly enjoying these stories and appreciate each one of you taking the time to write them down and share them.

Harvey, I identified with yours. I prefer to use hints instead of walkthroughs, too, but sometimes while looking for a hint on a forum I'd accidentally stumble across information about something else.

Kaelri, I remember that time period in the cavern and the Unbound Hearts Hood. I recall going there once to find out what it was all about, but you've still enlightened me with more details about its mission and activities.

Donahoo, your story is pure gold to me. So much rich community history in there. You can't imagine how tickled I was when I stumbled upon the Mysthillarium site. I was especially touched by the collection of voices. The site was very well done and I don't think it needs an "upgrade." What you see as "primitive," I see as "classic." It was very nice for the time period and obvious that you put a lot of time and effort into it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2