It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:33 am 

I started recording a let's play series for Myst online URU live. But since I am a Youtube partner they will give me a strike if I put up anything that I do not have the right so put up there. I need to be able to know where I can find information about if it is legal or not before putting it up on Youtube.

I tried to e-mail Cyan's legal department, but they have not responded, so I thought that I would ask here if anyone know where I can find info about it.

An example of what I would like to find:
Mojang (creators of Minecraft) have the following in their terms of use (https://account.mojang.com/documents/minecraft_eula):

Quote:
"Within reason you‘re free to do whatever you want with screenshots and videos of the Game. By 'within reason' we mean that you can‘t make any commercial use of them or do things that are unfair or adversely affect our rights. If you upload videos of the game to video sharing and streaming sites you are however allowed to put ads on them. "

Anyone that can find something similar for URU or that know how I can get in contact with cyan about it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:55 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I don't recall there being anything that explicitly addresses that in the TOS, so I think you really need to wait on [email protected] to reply (it may take several days). However, I'd expect Cyan's attitude to be broadly similar to that in you quote.

There are plenty of other videos around YouTube of MOULa already.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:46 pm 

Why not contact the URU2U team?

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:57 pm 

Mac_Fife wrote:
I don't recall there being anything that explicitly addresses that in the TOS, so I think you really need to wait on [email protected] to reply (it may take several days). However, I'd expect Cyan's attitude to be broadly similar to that in you quote.

Ok.. Thanks.. Guess I just have to wait then.

Jamie Marchant wrote:
Why not contact the URU2U team?

What is that? And do they have the legal rights to give permissions like that?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:45 pm 

URU2U is video news project run by the Guild of Messengers - http://www.guildofmessengers.com/en/con ... eo-project that uses in-game captures. However, they won't be able to confer any rights themselves although they may be able to advise what approvals they obtained and how they went about it.

In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:57 am 

Mac_Fife wrote:

Yes but they are not monetised as far as I understand the whole situation here. As long as you don't make monetary gain out of them, it's okay for Cyan. I don't think for instance that my foolishnesses on videos will ever capture the attention of YT for publicity purposes. :lol: :wink:

But Cyoor (I don't know, I'm supposing from his tells) is a heavy YT videos poster and he is on a monetary program with them to earn money with publicities on his videos thus the eventual monetary gain from them...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:32 am 

I would not say that I am a "heavy" youtube poster, but I am a youtube partner and get to put adds on the videos I post. I do not need to do that, but since it takes a lot of time to do the videos it is always nice to get something back for doing it. I do not expect any URU video to give me much, but I love the game the game I would like to do it anyway. However, if I get something back at all for it, I might feel a bit more motivated to put some extra time in to making the videos be high quality with good content. (Basically what I will get is probably not even enough to cover for the food I eat during production of the videos.)

But basically, yes I would like to put adds on the videos if possible.

And regarding other youtubers having posted videos (with or without adds), that might not mean that they have the rights to do so. You will not automatically get taken down for doing so, but you might get in trouble if someone reports you. And since I want to do this the "right" way, I rather get everything straight before I even post anything. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:35 am 
Obduction Backer

While I was never very involved in the URU2U project, I don't think any rights were obtained, because no one thought of that. There is no monetization though, but I'm aware that doesn't make it right and I guess the team should probably send a email to the Cyan legal department :oops:

Edit: Apparently there is a fair-use clause for Parody and News reporting, who knew :P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:50 am 

Just for clarity, I only mentioned the existence of other in-game videos because I know that Cyan are aware of many of them and clearly haven't felt inclined to object. Small clips would no doubt be considered as "fair use" in copyright terms, but monetization puts a different twist on things.