It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:24 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: The Backdoor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thank you Nicoleleigh and Mac_Fife.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:44 am 

jek,

Quote:
Oh, hope you are safe where you live and away from the recent dangers!

As far as I'm concern the only real danger in my country is the freezing weather or the ups and downs, going from -30 celsius Saturday to 3 celsius Sunday to -20 tonight, a real fun time &... a cold! I stay informed on world events though and I empathised with those living more harsh conditions whereever they live :(

---------------------------------
For the subject of this topic (or how it became throughout the posts...)

Hips** :lol: Waist (stay over the belt :wink: ) versus Shoulders: what do I mean?

It's quite simple. I told you first that you must run up the rock pile following the separation line (see pictures) up until your shoulders are clear over the lowest rock then you hit the spacebar to do a run-jump. What I'm saying is that if your system is older then your PC is slower, you can try to go a little higher before hitting the spacebar, up to your waist.

**: I have hard time identifying body parts in English, I always make laugh people around me when I'm speaking, I'm going quite fast in spoken English and all of the sudden I can stop and say "euh euh euh, that part" pointing with my fingers which part of the body I'm talking about

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Very cold temps! I converted to F and it comes out -17 so that is dangerous to be out in for extended time. Your explanations are very good and your English is WAY better than my French (none :cry: ). I took one year in high school and was asked not to continue :oops: . My temps are right around the freezing point so nothing dramatic.

Sorry all for going off topic :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think, the "slower machine" is a quite relative definition, especially in this case. The engine of Uru is more than 10 years old now, and even if there were a few face-lifts in 2007, a recent 4-5 years old "slow machine" is, in fact, much better than the hardware demand of Uru.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ah, it helps so much when you follow directions :roll: . I saw an EXE file and just decided I must just run that EXE file and my Uru Live would now be modified each time I started it with the shortcut I always have used to allow the skydiver client. NO! I followed the directions and then went to the rock pile and easily jumped over, once again following Annabelle's kind hints. I have also tried jumping from the arch to clear the rock pile but have more work to do there.

I also did a first ever jump from the ledge at the top of the ramp that leads from the link in point to the arch. I have long been jumping from the arch to the ledge but never the reverse direction. Hmm now to find more places I have overlooked :twisted: .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Annabelle wrote:
An excerpt from my memory: "In the locker room, climb the ladder leading to the ledge where the cloth is located, touch the cloth, then climb back down the ladder and climb the opposite side ladder to reach the other ledge. From there, climb the broken top floor piece to reach what's remain of that original top floor..." I'll say there's more easy way to do that :lol: Once you touched the said cloth just run-jump on that broken top floor piece then you just need to keep run-jumping until you reach the top floor. So the writter of such walkthrough was option 1 not aware of that or option 2 unable to do it because of the behaviour of the game at that time. (talking of Gahreesen in that paragraph)

There are at least several easier ways. But the ones I'm thinking of could be done in Uru CC so it can't be option 2.

Annabelle wrote:
I think many explorers are just afraid and don't exploit some little stuff. In Gira, for example, it amazes me to read explorers saying, I'm reaching (hardly?!?) the vent in the middle of the lava stream then (exhausted?!?) by this (awesomely hard?!?) jump, I link out and return after.

That's not an exploit, you are meant to be able to jump from the vent "island" back to the mainland.

A better example is being able to walk along the canyon wall to get into the cave without falling into the water.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:02 pm 

related to Ehren's post:
Or maybe like Mac_Fife said in an earlier post, it's because the guy who wrote the walkthrough did it thinking of the more common way people would solve the game rather than going wild.

It reminds me of a newbie one day who saw me climb from the clock courtyard up to the classroom rooftop with combo jumping. He asked me: "How can I reach that balcony?" So I began to explain in very details how I manage to do such a thing. He then stopped me and said: "Wait a sec... Is there an easier way to reach that balcony?" I then realized I might have someone new to the game and he confirmed me that fact. I was laughing and I explained him how to do it normally with stone linking.

And yes Ehren, the jump from the rock formation with the vent is not an exploit, I only used the verb to exploit to explain that a lot of explorers are just afraid of doing easy stuffs.

related to jek's last post & Norfren's post:

jek, great news!
To reach the top of the rock pile from the summit of the arch, you must use a slower PC to be able to get those extra pixels length needed.

So what my definition of a slower PC is?
It's a PC with a videocard under 1 Gb which can brought us back 5 to 6 years ago. With the nowadays super duper extreme far more better than reality 3D Graphic Cards of 2, 3, 4 Gb and maybe even more, the game is just too old and everything related to skydiving is just impossible.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2