It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:13 pm 

Greetings!

Nice to see everyone out and about the forums. I'm late to the party, but I'm ready to go.

I need some advice, please. I'm ready to do a fresh install of everything on a new high-end machine with Windows 7 64-bit. I have two key questions after reading the Guild of Writers install instructions.

1. Where is the best place to get all the games for Win 7? The GOW instructions said digital was easiest to install in Win 7. I still have all the old CDs--but is digital best? If so, where can I snag the files?

2. I also have a Win XP machine up and running strong. Would that be better? What's your experienced opinion?

Very much looking forward to getting back in the mix. Feel free to PM or email me.

(Wasn't sure to post this here or in technical. I flipped a coin. You won ;)

Romer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:36 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Many of the older Myst games don't play nice on recent operating systems. For example, Riven depends on a version of QuickTime that you just can't get hold of these days (and the version on the disks won't install in the presence of a newer version). Even Windows XP is challenged with these games, so it's not much of a help. The newer digital downloads fix pretty much all the issues, so the GoW advice is probably good.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

For most of the games, Steam or GOG (Good Old Games) will be your sources. If having to have Steam running to run the game bothers you, go GOG. If you already have a few Steam games, it makes that source convenient. I believe there are a few you cannot get from either source. Exile, Revelations and End of Ages you will have to run from your disks. Exile from the 10th anniversary DVD runs fine as far as I can tell on Windows 8.1, so 7 should be very easy. I believe there was some missing music on that disk, but I can live with that.

And I recommend the RealMyst Masterpiece edition over the others if your computer is up to the task.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah Romer,

You also might want to check the Cyan forums here. AlanD has gotten all the original CD/DVD games working in Windows 7 and talks about some of the details in that thread.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:34 am 

Thank you, Wafna and Ainia. Exactly the info I needed. Do either of you run URU via Steam?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:11 am 

Remember, if you have trouble with the Steam or GoG versions, the 10th anniversary DVD versions (of Myst and Riven in particular) have always worked for me when the others have failed (something to do with overlapping versions of Quicktime). You could also just run them in a virtual machine, which is what I do nowadays.
As far as the Steam version of Uru, you'll find that it works but it only supports a narrow range of screen resolutions. The free downloadable version will no doubt serve you better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:40 am 
Obduction Backer

Free downloadable version?

I think Romer is talking about Uru:CC, not MOULa. I have never heard of a free downloadable version of Uru:CC... :?

Romer, I run Uru:CC with a Wineskin wrapper (and MOULa via a Cider wrapper) so have no experience with the Steam version.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:14 am 

Yes, I was referring to MOULa as an alternative to Uru:CC.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:41 pm 

A good distinction. Frankly, I thought of running offline first, but I've since decided to go all-in with MOULa. I've played it countless times and collected virtually everything, but now with a clean wipe and having been away for a couple of years, plus new shards, I look forward to starting a-fresh.

Thanks for the input. See you in the under down.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:00 am 
Obduction Backer

As Ainia mentioned, I have got all six games (Myst Masterpiece Edition (Myst Trilogy version), RealMyst, Riven (5-CD version), Exile, Revelation and End of Ages) installed and working on this Windows 7 64-bit Home Edition laptop, along with Uru and several shards. The later games are relatively easy to install, but Myst and Riven are not.

Riven (5-CD) will not install as the installer is a 16-bit program. Myst ME was a bit easier for me, but it appears that my way doesn't work for everyone.

A summary of the methods I used can be found in this post