It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:11 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:45 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:04 pm
Posts: 1022
Location: Macon, MO
ventris wrote:
Ooh! Time to start discussing what should replace the badly placed inscriptions someday?


How about "we don't need no education" above the classroom, and "we don't need no thought control" over the meditation chamber? :wink:

_________________
*
b'tagamem mot seKem ril ge'Dan Kenen reKElen faex b'sEnem ge'Dan -- lårE leDA
Until next time! -- Larry LeDeay
3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:32 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 1279
Location: Central Europe
“Practice makes perfect” for the classroom, and “watch this space” for the chamber.

“Obey” on top of the stalagmite in the Plaza :mrgreen:

_________________
KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:02 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:29 pm
Posts: 297
Location: california
"Going Out Of Business Sale. Last Day to Save" on the mall?

_________________
I'll look that up BRB


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:05 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:04 pm
Posts: 1022
Location: Macon, MO
I've heard of stores that have "going out of business sale" signs up for years, but to have one carved into the stone over the building? That would take guts!

_________________
*
b'tagamem mot seKem ril ge'Dan Kenen reKElen faex b'sEnem ge'Dan -- lårE leDA
Until next time! -- Larry LeDeay
3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:24 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:29 pm
Posts: 297
Location: california
Those D'ni, they could probably change a stone carving as fast as painting but even if not, we know Kadish had plenty of brass in most senses of the word. :wink:

_________________
I'll look that up BRB


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:04 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:04 pm
Posts: 1022
Location: Macon, MO
That reminds me that I actually did change the text over the Canyon Mall buildings some time back. Probably should have spelled coffee with an E, but I was just doing a straight D'nenglish translation of that one.

Image

Image

Image

_________________
*
b'tagamem mot seKem ril ge'Dan Kenen reKElen faex b'sEnem ge'Dan -- lårE leDA
Until next time! -- Larry LeDeay
3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:55 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:29 am
Posts: 520
Talashar wrote:
ventris wrote:
Though I hope there were not some clues that he just got tired of waiting for someone to find.


It would have been a big clue if the inscription had been limited to the arch and ferry terminal as intended. Unfortunately, "The Island welcomes you" doesn't make a lot of sense above doors in City neighborhoods!

(EDIT: City Proper neighborhoods, I should say for clarity.)


Minor quibble the Neighborhoods as well as Bevin, Kirel and Seret are not located within the City Proper, they are part of city expansion areas that also exist along the cavern walls, while the City Proper, is actually directly north of the main island.So if you stand in the island courtyard, and look directly toward the arch, you are now looking north and toward the city proper, if you turn slightly north west you'd find K'veer and the hoods behind it, Hope that helps.

_________________
MOULAgain KI: 024104

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:28 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:04 pm
Posts: 1022
Location: Macon, MO
ChloeRhodes wrote:
Minor quibble the Neighborhoods as well as Bevin, Kirel and Seret are not located within the City Proper, they are part of city expansion areas that also exist along the cavern walls, while the City Proper, is actually directly north of the main island.So if you stand in the island courtyard, and look directly toward the arch, you are now looking north and toward the city proper, if you turn slightly north west you'd find K'veer and the hoods behind it, Hope that helps.


That's not at all certain, Chloe. We've got some very mixed signals about it. It would make sense if that were true, because it is written in cavern notes that the D'ni built all of their most important buildings along the zero toran line that runs from the Great Zero through Kerath's Arch.

The problem is arises from Aitrus' Map, which shows the City in an alcove in the cavern wall about 45 degrees counterclockwise from the direction of K'veer. On the map, K'veer is marked "121", and the City is shown as a large hashmarked area. On this edited section of the map, I've marked the approximate location of the neighborhoods with a yellow star. That's based on the view from the balcony toward Ae'gura as seen through the telescope.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Image


Since we can't link to the City and get a navigation reading from our KIs, there's no way to know if the map is completely off.

Thanks, Cyan. :roll:

_________________
*
b'tagamem mot seKem ril ge'Dan Kenen reKElen faex b'sEnem ge'Dan -- lårE leDA
Until next time! -- Larry LeDeay
3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:32 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 1279
Location: Central Europe
So, the neighborhoods are the banlieues défavorisées of D’ni :lol:

_________________
KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.


Last edited by korovev on Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:38 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:29 am
Posts: 520
larryf58 wrote:
ChloeRhodes wrote:
Minor quibble the Neighborhoods as well as Bevin, Kirel and Seret are not located within the City Proper, they are part of city expansion areas that also exist along the cavern walls, while the City Proper, is actually directly north of the main island.So if you stand in the island courtyard, and look directly toward the arch, you are now looking north and toward the city proper, if you turn slightly north west you'd find K'veer and the hoods behind it, Hope that helps.


That's not at all certain, Chloe. We've got some very mixed signals about it. It would make sense if that were true, because it is written in cavern notes that the D'ni built all of their most important buildings along the zero toran line that runs from the Great Zero through Kerath's Arch.

The problem is arises from Aitrus' Map, which shows the City in an alcove in the cavern wall about 45 degrees counterclockwise from the direction of K'veer. On the map, K'veer is marked "121", and the City is shown as a large hashmarked area. On this edited section of the map, I've marked the approximate location of the neighborhoods with a yellow star. That's based on the view from the balcony toward Ae'gura as seen through the telescope.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Image


Since we can't link to the City and get a navigation reading from our KIs, there's no way to know if the map is completely off.

Thanks, Cyan. :roll:


Four words - Aitrus' map is wrong.

[Reveal] Spoiler: "Deeper Explanation"
It'd be great in a perfect universe if all things lined up to all versions of the story, however limitations exist in our real world and those limitations make it impossible for the map to be correct. These limitations are due to recreating D'ni in a 3d game engine. For that reason Aitrus' map should not be taken as a literal translation of what the cavern looks and where areas exist within it. In order to help us and others fill up the cavern with fan content, the Intangible's group was given access to more maps than just the Aitrus map to fully flesh out placement of the cavern locations, for the most part all of these maps are consistent with each other which is why the Intangible's group has come to the conclusion that its best to treat the Aitrus map this way:

IC - The Aitrus map is a mass produced version of the real Aitrus' map which remains in the DRC archives because of the age and deterioration of the map. When trying to leave subtle hints of the existence of D'ni through games and books the DRC partnered with Cyan. DRC restoration experts tried their best to recreate the map to give to Cyan to ship with the Book of T'iana. However just like early map makers that recreated maps based off of earlier source maps from the middle ages - the age of Aitrus map made it impossible to create a fully fleshed out version so liberties were taken to recreate the map as close as possible, with a greater emphasis put on the map being a tool with language assistance in translating the D'ni language rather than a tool for actual distance/placement of cavern locations and areas. This is why a great deal of existing cavern locations are not located on the map or appear in the wrong location when we visit D'ni.

_________________
MOULAgain KI: 024104

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live


Last edited by ChloeRhodes on Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:41 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 1279
Location: Central Europe
Anyway, the numbers 147, 121, 116 are merely annotations for places and are absent from the original; only the 100° mark is.

_________________
KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:47 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 1279
Location: Central Europe
Oops, I forgot a link to the maps.

_________________
KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:51 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:04 pm
Posts: 1022
Location: Macon, MO
Does that mean more accurate maps are available? I for one would love to see them and get permission to show them on my site.

_________________
*
b'tagamem mot seKem ril ge'Dan Kenen reKElen faex b'sEnem ge'Dan -- lårE leDA
Until next time! -- Larry LeDeay
3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:55 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:29 am
Posts: 520
larryf58 wrote:
Does that mean more accurate maps are available? I for one would love to see them and get permission to show them on my site.


For that you'd have to get permission from Cyan.

_________________
MOULAgain KI: 024104

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:20 pm
Posts: 24
So the line of the Great Zero is actually north? That would mean that the rugs in the Baron City Office are the wrong way around, since they both have 'east' (vamo) pointing towards the Arch.

_________________
MO:ULagain KI: #00042189 (unused) • #01521023
The cavern is Image, Minkata is Image
@rivenimagebot@CavernCondition


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ahrefs [Crawler] and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron