It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:00 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm a bit concerned, but then I don't know what the new game will need to operate....If it takes what we have now as a computing machine to run URU, then I can see the numbers dropping significantly...If it is above what we have, then I'm not sure....What do you think?

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:16 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Do oranges hurt the apple market? Eh, maybe if you're on a budget, but Uru (MOULa) is free.

;)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
JW pointed out that the two are quite different. Not only is MOULa free, but it's also multiplayer and never ends. So, I think a lot of people will vacate the cavern long enough to play Obduction to the end and then they'll return to the cavern and their friends.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:12 pm 

There is a possibility that Obduction fans unfamiliar with the Myst saga might be curios about other games Cyan has made :shock:

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:05 am 

Charura wrote:
If it takes what we have now as a computing machine to run URU

I don't know what *you* have now, but today's PCs can run games a lot more demanding than MOULa/Uru. A 10-y-o PC could run MOULa/Uru.

Karkadann wrote:
There is a possibility that Obduction fans unfamiliar with the Myst saga might be curios about other games Cyan has made :shock:

I doubt this very much. Do people who play GTA V look up the first two GTA games? Nope.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:57 am 

Alien wrote:
I doubt this very much. Do people who play GTA V look up the first two GTA games? Nope.

Hmm you may be right I bought with the original version of Myst off the shelf and worked my way forward threw the rest of the video games in the story I must have been thinking backward :oops:

E=mc2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:19 pm 

The Obduction Kickstarter didn't hurt Uru in any obvious way, and the release of Obduction probably won't either.

Most Obduction players who haven't played any Myst games, won't go back and look at Cyan's earlier work, but a small number might.

Even if a successful Obduction release does nothing for Uru, it will be good for Cyan, and probably will put them in a better position regarding the new Myst game that is planned to tie into the upcoming Myst TV series.

And THAT publicity from the game and the series, will be very good for Uru since Uru is clearly connected to the Myst franchise.

My thinking is that many Myst-fans will be away from Uru for a span of several months playing Obduction, but that if the fanbase continues supporting MOULa enough [financially] to keep it running during that time, then things might actually improve for Uru a little bit, roughly 3-4 months after Obduction is released. But during the initial stretch following Obduction's launch, the cavern may be very empty indeed.

My feeling is it'll be a mix of good and bad for MOULa, but maybe a bit more positive than negative.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
I doubt Obduction players will play the game non-stop. It is possible to play Obduction for a while, then come and visit The Cavern to connect with friends for a while.

The two games don't have to be mutually exclusive.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:10 am 

I'm pretty sure, the Obductee's hood will be full of people one hour after release. Trying to figure out the puzzles, help in a non-spoiler. :lol:
Also, I agree with TOOO: People will of course spend much time with their new game, but will still return to the cavern more or less regular.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:32 am 
Obduction Backer

cpt-jericho wrote:
I'm pretty sure, the Obductee's hood will be full of people one hour after release. Trying to figure out the puzzles, help in a non-spoiler. :lol:

Oh, I look forward to that time - afraid there hasn't been much purpose to the Hood in recent months.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:53 pm 

matthornb wrote:
The Obduction Kickstarter didn't hurt Uru in any obvious way, and the release of Obduction probably won't either.

Where's my manners. Welcome back Matt
Any thing new brewing with Sevcor?
I personally have not heard any thing final
as far as how the Nexus and Sevcor will be set up on MOULa
However with Cyan getting busier and and busier with Obduction
as the year go's on and the new Korman plug-in for Blender
I just thought I would check in with you to see if Sevcor is still
gonna happen and if you still need my help with it

E=mc2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:16 pm 

Regarding Sevkor, the external hard drive failure turned out to be more of a setback than was initially obvious. I lost about 1/6 of the base texture maps that went into the level, files I was unable to recover.

So I set it aside in frustration temporarily and then a while ago began trying to rebuild the missing artwork. It's been slow going not just because of that but because all the files that were saved have to be reconnected now that they're on a new drive, etc. And there were a LOT of files tied to this project.

The good news is the problems of data loss I had before are not going to occur again. I have an online backup service running now on my computers (Backblaze) and it is a per-computer service, meaning it is far more affordable than other cloud backup systems for me, as I have over 15 TB of data stored between my two computers and my array of external hard drives. That data includes a ton of video files and visual effects projects, game dev stuff, etc. That doesn't help the data I already lost and have to rebuild, but it ensures that this doesn't happen again in the future.

Not sure what the prospects for Uru are though, at this point. The engine is aging and difficult to work with. Our best and newest option Korman, is still in an early beta build and far from feature-complete.
Bottom line is we will need a solid effort from a team that knows Plasma well, and can expand on the work that's been done already. But with Adam Johnson (Hoikas) gone, I am not sure how we could pull that off short of assistance from current and former Cyan staff. (The Headspin guys who built the engine?) We could try to organize a Kickstarter to fund such an effort, but it'd need to be done with Cyan at the center of it. Cyan was generous to reopen MO:UL for us 6 years ago. But it has been largely stagnant ever since and could really use an ongoing stream of content to keep players interested. That content won't happen without a better set of tools, that people can realistically use.

But I don't want to be the dreaded 'ideas guy' who has an idea for how things should be but no way to make it a reality. Which is why I'm making my own Myst-like game and a few other promising projects. Yes, they are siphoning some time away from Sevkor. But when they're launched in the next 3 months I might be making enough money through them, to give a large amount to the MOULa fund. Might be enough to redirect the efforts of one or two Cyan staffers toward Uru long enough to get the work done.

It's a long shot but it might work. I have that sense of optimism that comes with being a young person in America. I believe that I can change the world and moreover, that I have to because the needs are so great. Uru is just a small part of my bigger agenda; I aspire to save human lives all over the planet and tackle systemic environmental and social problems. I don't just want to save virtual worlds. I want to save the real one. The world is far more open now to entrepreneurs than in the past. There are no gatekeepers stopping us from, say, publishing our own books, making our own games, making our own movies, running our own businesses. Things are now faster, cheaper... you don't need a ton of collateral to start a business on the internet, and that's incredibly exciting and freeing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:21 am 

I was kind hoping for a yes or no answer on the last two questions, however I do remember the last time I lost my source files, luckily Im a fanatic when it comes to save files, Relativity had about 20 something, The Lost Stonehenge is over 14 save files, The Tardis interior 15 or so save files so far, and every time I lost my work I just went back to the last save file and worked my way forward, it always seemed to turn out better then what it was before for some reason, In any case I just do this for a hobby. its a nice distraction from my blue collar work.

As far as saving the world is concerned you gotta start someplace even if its just a virtual world its a start, and its just a bit to ambitions for this crusty old man, however I might be able to make my little corner of it a little better for my self and those who exist with in it threw my work and my hobby.

The possibilities of what might be going on with Korman in three months may suggest you might not need my help after all but if you do let me know. In the mean time Ive got two other projects going one for each game engine, that Im going to get back to.

Remember you need to spend money to make money, and starting a business is always a gamble, Find a need and fill it as they say, not that im trying to discourage you its just stuff you need to know if you don't already and the better informed you are the better your chances of being successful, an educated gamble like the Stock market is always better then a Poker game in Vegas. In addition if you do start your own business as far as investors are concerned I would advise against selling more then 49% of your company in stock, once you do that its no longer your company and you answer to who ever owns that 51%.

TTFN

E=mc2