It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Okay I wanted to do this for some time and still practicing at at but to complete all myst games without any walk through, hints or anything for that matter. Hard right here what I have got done so far

1.Myst can do 100% without hints or walk through
2.Riven can only do 60% without hints or walk through
3.Myst III Exile can do 85% without hints or walk through
4.Uru 20% without hints or walk through
5.Myst IV Revelation can do 20% without hints or walk through
6.Myst V End of ages can do with 60% without hints or walk through

What do is complete each game in the series without any hints or walk through and try to solve them on my own. Then I set them aside for a couple of months then try again when I forgot everything sometimes a couple of years. My goal is to get 100% depended on all the Myst games where I wont need the walk through or hints.

by the the percentage is estimated of how many puzzles I solve. So say I cant solve 1 puzzle it knocked down 5% each time in that general sense.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Not something I could do; I'll never make it through Myst IV. The controls are just too clunky and the puzzles are rather poorly executed. Examples of that are the crystal tuning puzzle on Spire, where sliding the controls requires timing that the user interface makes very, very difficult, and the monkey puzzle on Haven where the timing for the sound making wheels is also very hard because of the user interface. Dunno what the guys at Ubisoft were smoking when they decided to try mouse gestures in that game, but I wish they'd left well enough alone.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

I agree the puzzles were executed very poorly in Myst IV and some of the answers were after the you solved not before.

This how I see Myst IV puzzles were just slapped on there at the last mintune but here a link to video about the making of Myst IV https://youtu.be/rAE1gHLzAoE

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

I’ve replayed Myst, Riven and Uru many times and I can do both almost 100% (I have notes for coded puzzles like in Mechanical, as I already know the process).
Revelation and End of Ages instead I’ve replayed only once or twice, and with extensive guides (the fisicx ones in particular) for puzzles like the aforementioned mangrees or crystal tuning, as they feel more like motor coordination tests than games.
Exile is in between, I tend to get lost (in the non-fun way) in the lower parts of Edanna.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Most of the games I have replayed without hints, though there are parts I just look up rather than bother figuring out for myself: the Narayan patterns, Minkata, and the Pod Age portals. Though when I replayed the series recently after a gap of several years, I was surprised how often I was frustrated on the details of a puzzle, especially in Revelation and End of Ages, which I've played less frequently.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think I could manage everything but Revelation and Uru without hints. I'd need a piece of paper for notes, though ;)

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:00 am 

My ma and I beat every Myst game without guides as they came out. It was a sort of a family tradition. We would see who could finish a puzzle first, and then when one of us got it we would give little hints to the other.
Nowadays I basically have all of the solutions memorized :|