It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Obduction
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:26 pm 

It seems as if most people here are Obduction backers. Has anyone heard anything about it lately?

Post subject: Re: Obduction
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:33 pm 

KayM wrote:
It seems as if most people here are Obduction backers. Has anyone heard anything about it lately?

Nothing in the public forum, that i can see.
http://forums.cyan.com/viewforum.php?f=111

The backers' forum has very little in the way of updates. No release date set, and enough unofficial chatter to conclude that the estimated October deadline will not be met. No extra previews for backers, no stealthy peek at new content, not even the clip shown to attendees at Mysterium (who are sworn to secrecy).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Is 20 minutes before your post lately enough? :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyaninc/obduction/posts/1371029

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rand wrote:
Things are going really, really well...

I really, really LOVE when Rand says that :)

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:24 pm 

I didn't think that creating a new topic was worth it, so I'll just post this here:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2995031/software-games/hands-on-with-obduction-mysts-spiritual-successor-straddles-the-line-between-familiar-and-alien.html

It's a new PC World article on Obduction that I accidentally stumbled across whilst Googling (16 minutes after it was published, no less). There are some minor spoilers in the article, so I'd probably recommend not reading it if you're trying to avoid those, but it does contain some interesting information on the state of the game.

MO:ULagain KI: #00042189 (unused) • #01521023
The cavern is Image, Minkata is Image
@rivenimagebot@CavernCondition

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

A wonderful and inspiring article, not spoiling too much IMHO, but appealing enough to want more ... Thanks for posting this, Carolyn ... :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

An email message just arrived. Seems that they were going to try for a much bigger game by getting financing by a small game distributor.

The distributor kept pushing off signing the contract, though. Cyan was just told that the deal is off. They'd been working on the expanded game in the meanwhile, working in good faith. Now they have to figure out what to do.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:20 am 
Obduction Backer

Yep, the full text of Rand's KS Backer update was published on the Cyan forums Obduction Backer section by greydragon.

Seems to have been a very bad day for our beloved Cyantists. :-( I think they could use some cheering up (especially considering some of the unpleasant comments at the KS post).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:20 am 

Ainia wrote:
I think they could use some cheering up (especially considering some of the unpleasant comments at the KS post).

Wait, hold on, some backers are blaming Cyan for this? Rather than the publisher? That seems... extremely unfair to Cyan, considering the fact that the publisher had assured them that it was a done deal. Besides, it's not as if the game was cancelled; it is still going to be released, it's just going to take slightly longer than originally expected.

Edit: Oh, and RAWA made a post about it on the Obduction dev blog, directed at the people who are complaining.

And to anyone who didn't back or preorder Obduction and hence can't see the letter, Cyan posted it to the Obduction Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Obduction/posts/421999051327246

MO:ULagain KI: #00042189 (unused) • #01521023
The cavern is Image, Minkata is Image
@rivenimagebot@CavernCondition

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks again, Carolyn, I've just commented on RAWA's Blog post on the Cyan forums ... :P

[Reveal] Spoiler: This is what I've said
Great, interesting and funny update as always, thanks, Acorn and RAWA, this one I've received through my RSS feed ... :P

I've read the comments in the KS comments section too (not the ones beneath the update as that's not public this time), and most seem to be ready to fund and back Obduction (the extended version) again ... It was never about timing, and the reasons for the update delay has been clarified sufficiently too ... As for the timing, it is not at all unusual for release dates to be delayed and postponed for many reasons, even quite similar to Obduction, like refinements and modifications here and there/further extensions/whatever contents or new stuff (navigation-graphics-wise etc.) being added, even more funds requested etc., and the comments beneath the Obduction Dev Blog tell me that there'd be many more folks who didn't hear about Cyan's new project at the time of the KS campaign and would be glad to contribute their share and enjoy the adventure of course lol ...

Yeah, this feels and sounds all very promising, now it's on Cyan to evaluate the options and opportunities, which present, and what they envision and are heading for, and see what might be the best and most elegant and graceful way to move on and go about the most successful and satisfactory completion of this wonderful and ambitious project ... :D

Besides that, I'd say, there's no one to blame, Cyan of course not as well as this other company ... It is good for them to withdraw from a project, which might have seemed too big and too much to handle for them, and it is good that Cyan is now again free to move on with other options and opportunities, instead of having to deal with a small company, which anyway wasn't financially and in whatever else ways not stable and reliable enough to serve them well ... 8)

So, I believe everything looks and feels quite positive right now, the waiting game is over and they are free to move on and evaluate and choose anew of whatever presents, which might be even and most probably much better, and most of the backers are still behind them and even ready to fund this again, isn't that just awesome? ... :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:12 pm 

Some friends of mine have been trying to get a movie made since I met them in 2003. I've lost count of the number of times that a backer they've talked to has said "This is a done deal! The money is in place, and we're going to do it!" If it ever gets made, and if the movie manages to retain any of Nate's ideas, it will be good. I've seen the storyboards and demos. They're still trying to get this made.

These big projects aren't easy. They're even less easy when the big project is something unique. The trail to completion is rough, rocky, winding, long, and steep. There are windstorms, droughts, floods, earthquakes and other uncertainties. As with any other situation in life, the only way to arrive is to keep walking; we're not a culture that places much value on long-term faith, but Cyan's people aren't noted for giving up. "Step by step, the longest march..."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Lord Chaos wrote:
Some friends of mine have been trying to get a movie made since I met them in 2003. I've lost count of the number of times that a backer they've talked to has said "This is a done deal! The money is in place, and we're going to do it!" If it ever gets made, and if the movie manages to retain any of Nate's ideas, it will be good. I've seen the storyboards and demos. They're still trying to get this made.

These big projects aren't easy. They're even less easy when the big project is something unique. The trail to completion is rough, rocky, winding, long, and steep. There are windstorms, droughts, floods, earthquakes and other uncertainties. As with any other situation in life, the only way to arrive is to keep walking; we're not a culture that places much value on long-term faith, but Cyan's people aren't noted for giving up. "Step by step, the longest march..."

This.

Well said! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Haha, I just wanted to say sth to this, but I decided I don't lol ... You both mean it so well, LC and Ainia, and every positive energy and encouragement counts, I just felt to mention in my way that it mustn't necessarily be so hard and with much struggle involved anymore in these times ... :P

Go for more ease and grace, Cyan, then the needed inspirations and ideas flowing from within are more easily discernable and recognizable on the 'outer screen of life' and the universe, but you know this of course, you are artists and creators after all, and I know that this is easier said than done, but that's the training for all of us lol ... :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:56 am 
Obduction Backer

What I find puzzling here is that Obduction was funded with a Kickstarter precisely so that Cyan did *not* have to go and find conventional business funding, with all the uncertainties, penalties and disappointment that comes along with it. We fans backed it because we believed in Cyan's track record, wanted to see an exciting new game and to let them bypass all of that crud (which generally ends up costing more than it's worth).

Now we find out that Cyan wanted to go further than they planned, and went to find conventional funding to make that happen.

That's a bit of a slap in the face to those of us who thought that, by putting in our money up front, we were freeing Cyan from the restrictios of the money market. I for one am now worried that all I'm going to see is the T-shirt...

Guys, it's been two years, and a lot of the original backers will be in a position to consider addding to the pot. I really think that you should have come back to us first.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
We should all pool our money together and call ourselves a publishing company. :P

AlanD wrote:
I for one am now worried that all I'm going to see is the T-shirt...
I can guarantee you that won't be the case. If I'm wrong, then the world is ending and we'll have more important things to worry about than playing a new game. :wink:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next