It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: What happened to EAX?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:03 pm 

Got a new speaker system for Christmas today and couldnt wait to log in but something sounded off, I cant enable EAX :( Totally ruins the experience for me, is this just a glitch or does anyone know how to enable it? Thanks

MOULa-Current KI# 1895294

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:44 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

See here: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 85#p420385

Basically, EAX is not available in the Open Source builds (there's a longish story about non-availability of SDKs and EAX being a 10-year-old technology that was deprecated in favour of EFX about five years ago).

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

It was nuked from orbit!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:18 pm 

That was my fear, well why cant they keep it in the core game though? This totally ruins my enjoyment of the game, R.I.P Uru I guess. I cant play it without. :cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

What the heck is EAX? I get stereo moving images in MOUL as well as in URU:CC without it. What does EAX offer (to Windows users, I presume)?

[Edit: Sorry, forgive my ignorance; just looked it up and appears to be multi-source sound support as for 5.1 and 7.1 systems.]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:02 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

EAX is a set of extensions to the DirectX audio that originally targeted SoundBlaster audio cards and allowed better (more natural) representation of an audio environment - finer nuances in the movement of sounds, more detailed sounds, etc. Not everyone could use it, and even then not everyone noticed the difference.
EFX is available to the Open Source builds and offers the same things (and more) but it's not trivial to re-write the interfaces from EAX to EFX - it's bit like changing the physics engine would be: a lot of the same things are there but the data structure elements are all named differently and in different places and catching all the places it's used would be difficult.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:19 pm 

Mac_Fife wrote:
EAX is a set of extensions to the DirectX audio that originally targeted SoundBlaster audio cards and allowed better (more natural) representation of an audio environment - finer nuances in the movement of sounds, more detailed sounds, etc. Not everyone could use it, and even then not everyone noticed the difference.

I certainly noticed the difference.. but I always thought it was supposed to more realistically represent how sounds would echo inside a giant natural cavern. For me, it was too much; the echo/ambience it created was so over the top, I never bothered to use it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Race wrote:
That was my fear, well why cant they keep it in the core game though? This totally ruins my enjoyment of the game, R.I.P Uru I guess. I cant play it without. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I know how you feel. They could take literally anything else out of Uru and I'd be happy.

R.I.P EAX.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:54 pm 

EAX is in Myst V and URU CC, so if you have one of those you can try EAX. Keep in mind that on anything newer the XP you will need an emulator like Creative ALchemy(it's found on the driver disk for newer sound cards) to use EAX.

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:26 pm 

Yes creative alchemy works and if it worked with the drizzle conversion stuff I wouldn't be as upset but it breaks the Ui so the game is unplayable. You have to stick to straight up uru with no addons. The other issue with that is screen resolution, I have a big monitor now and the picture won't stretch leaving a huge black frame. Cyan should just compile Moul into an offline version, charge 19.99 and call it a day. The whole game can be played solo except Ahnonay and a tweak to the gardens could allow the player to solve the sequence themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Race wrote:
Cyan should just compile Moul into an offline version, charge 19.99 and call it a day. The whole game can be played solo except Ahnonay and a tweak to the gardens could allow the player to solve the sequence themselves.
There already is an offline version which includes an Ahnonay that can be solved solo. All it's missing is Minkata, the two garden ages, the Pods, the calendar sparks and the Myst library. But playing the game is not the only reason people continue to log in. Uru is old and that it's been kept alive this long is nothing short of a miracle. There are plenty of other games out there to play, but people still want to be in Uru for a variety of reasons, including socializing and that requires it to be online.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:51 pm 

I started uru before there was uru cc it's mostly always Been A Solo journey for me, even now it's solo as there's never anybody on that I know and only a small cluster in the city at any given time. Yes I'm well aware of what the differences are between uru cc and Moul. I even had signed up for the original uru live and wondered why I never received my invitation not realizing until sometime later the whole thing was canned. Lol.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Yes, I noticed your sign up date, so your comment about Ahnonay confused me a bit. You're not the first to express a preference for Uru to be a solo journey, but that was never Cyan's intention.