It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:10 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:39 am 
Obduction Backer

Acorn1 wrote:
Hi, Larry, re Rand's new design and your latest edits, my eye is drawn to the fact that the squee and the symbols for Cosmic Osmo, Manhole and Obduction are all grey where the others are all black. This creates a diagonal slant to the design. If you keep the symbols their existing colours, might you perhaps rotate the design slightly anticlockwise so the squee is at 12.00 and the other three grey symbols are balanced at the base? Or you could change them all to black, or mix and match the colours more randomly?

The coloration should be more even now, although it's at the expense of the symbols for The Manhole and Cosmic Osmo becoming rather skeletal, which makes them appear to have less "mass" than the others.

As for mixing the arrangement? No, because the games are in the order that they were created, traveling clockwise around the circle from 6:00 o'clock. Still, the changes I've made so far should go toward addressing the issues you pointed out.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Hi, Larry, I understood that the symbols are in order. So I wasn't suggesting you should mix their order, just their colour: ie you could have made some of the black ones into grey to dilute that strong diagonal element.

But now you have made the grey ones into black, that solves that problem!

I just had what to me is a cool idea, but you might not like it (and it might be a lot of work) - your design uses a sort of compass rose element to the design - so might it be appropriate to use the Stoneship compass rose?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

LOL. It's actually a snowflake, but since I'm only using the outer sections and it's black, it doesn't look like it. I'll give the Stoneship rose a try if I can find it.

...Okay, found examples. Because it's from Myst, it isn't a vector. It's photograph style, and that means it has a background that would be difficult to remove and shadowing that doesn't match my layout at all. Second, it has black rays in the positions I have the symbols placed.

I might be able to recreate it, with a lot of work. I'll have to mull that over.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Here's a shot at the compass rose idea. I changed the symbols to a button theme to give them the same approximate "mass", and overlaid a glass effect on everything to make it glossy and polished looking.

I also changed the rotation of the symbols to start at the 1:00 o'clock position.

I'm fairly happy with this as it is now.

Edit: Having said that, I changed my mind. The latest addition is a gear pattern over the black ring around the name, which is another design element lifted from the Stoneship compass rose.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Last edited by larryf58 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

I like it! :mrgreen:

Edited to take account of the new gear wheel element - it's a great idea, Larry, but is it possible to get the cogs to line up with the compass rose elements? It annoys me that they don't!

Last edited by Acorn1 on Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Larry, these are fantastic. RAWAs really does sum up so much about him, and I love the wood-compass effect of Rand's.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

At this point, I'm caught up on the ones I was asked to make. Wouldn't mind doing another if anyone is willing to give me the info about themselves. Remember, the more you're willing to tell me, the better I can do.

Favorite colors -- at least two, or one and a texture that you like, such as a kind of wood, stone, gemstone, metal, etcetera.

Hobbies, interests, passions -- at least four. I need to be able to mix and match, or use one as an alternate if I can't find or make a symbol for another.

As an example, I like black, blue, and white. I like silver as a metal tone. I am a computer tech professionally. I like anime, music, military history (or history in general), writing poetry, messing with computer art, and science fiction.

If I were making a monogram for myself, that's all information I could use in it.

Alternatively, another angle would be to choose a theme for me to work with. George Caboy asked for a metallic disk with a red stripe. For myself, I chose a relatively simple black and chrome design. Yutiel wanted a simple design, and I ended up having black on white pearl for hers. Give me an overall look, and I can see what I can do with it.

And you'd better hurry before I start wondering why I'm not charging commissions for this stuff. :roll:

...I really am a terrible businessman!

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:40 am 
Obduction Backer

Hi, Larry, I'd really love one, if you have the energy to do even more!

I love growing flowers - I'm especially fond of camellias - and I keep bees. Clearly there would need to be an acorn in the design! I like the colours purple and teal. I like natural materials - polished stone, nicely-grained wood (but I hate mahogany or pine). Shiny would be good, but not a plastic effect. Silver rather than gold.

Is this enough to go on, or do you need more?

Many thanks in anticipation!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:46 am 
Obduction Backer

Yes, that should be enough for a start. We'll see what I come up with for a draft.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Rand's design was the second one to get a seal of approval from RAWA's mother. :D

LOL. Maybe I'm sneaking up on him by making a fan out of a higher authority.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:49 am 
Obduction Backer

This is not what I want to go with. It's giving me that "oh, heck no" vibe. But I wanted to put it up and show you just to see if any part of it strikes your fancy. If nothing else, it might be amusing for you to see how far afield I get before I start zeroing in on a real design.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Last edited by larryf58 on Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:21 am 
Obduction Backer

Hi, Larry - something about it reminds me of a wooden lavatory seat, which is not exactly the vibe I'm after, sorry! Maybe try polished stone (granite, marble, that sort of thing) rather than wood? The individual design elements are fine, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I thought the design for Acorn's was beautiful - until she mentioned the lavatory seat and now I can't see it any other way. :lol:

I don't think the single bee is the best icon for beekeeping; maybe a beehive where the single bee is and a handful of bees at the top?

Keep up the good work, Larry. I'm enjoying this thread and your images very much!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Still not happy with the overall look, but the background coloration has a little more promise. It and the lettering bring a bit of teal and purple into play.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Last edited by larryf58 on Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
I thought the design for Acorn's was beautiful - until she mentioned the lavatory seat and now I can't see it any other way. :lol:

Sorry, Tai' :lol: Thanks for your suggestions! You're right, one bee would be a bit lonely.

Larry, thanks for all your hard work! It's fun to have the bees looking at the acorn, almost as though that's their skep/beehive. And the pink picotee camellias are pretty. My feeling now is that it's a bit Christmassy - with the marble so light that it's almost like snow, and the oak leaves a bit like holly. Christmassy is nice, of course, but maybe a darker figuring to the marble, so it's more obvious that's what it is, might give it a less seasonal effect? Or, here's a thought, maybe go for a polished honey-coloured marble, to link to the bee and acorn theme. tho' we'd then need to rethink the colour of the camellias and the use of purple and teal.

Looking forward to the next iteration!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Putting the bees in the honeycomb shapes was a very creative solution!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next