It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:25 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:09 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Karkadann wrote:
Those who can, do.
Those who can not, criticize :mrgreen:

Hmm, welllll... That follows a dangerous line of thought, too, that we have no right to criticize unless we make movies. If only moviemakers can be critics, we exclude all our own arguments - both in support and in criticism.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:34 am 
Obduction Backer

But critic without arguments is worthless: “Gone with the Wind is a forgettable film”.

I would also argue that those who consider any work ‘ruined forever’ by a subsequent one, deserve the frustration.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:56 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Yes, folks are very much presently enamored of deep continuity and expanded universes. For these people, one bad movie can ripple backward and forward into the continuum to ruin the entire experience. This is especially implied by the lengths writers will go to maintain the continuum with alternate realities or multiverses such as Abrams' Star Trek, Terminator Genisys, or X-Men: Days of Future Past. There is enormous acceptance about the contemporary physics of the Many Worlds Interpretation of quantum mechanics.

To wit, this from Wikipedia about Bryan Singer's X-Men: Days of Future Past:
Quote:
Singer also talked about "changing history" in an interview with Empire magazine. He said he does not want people to panic about events in the past "erasing" the storylines of the previous X-Men films, as he believes in multiverses, explaining the possibility of certain events can exist equally in the histories of alternate universes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men:_Days_of_Future_Past#Development

That attitude also conveniently "happens" to preserve franchise revenues of all those old timelines and toys.

That said, I want Neil Blomkamp's Alien 5, assuming Ridley Scott can get over himself and allow it, to obliterate Alien 3, especially, and Alien: Resurrection from the mythology. Others prefer to retain its entire continuity. The trend toward expanded universes is very cool; I like stories with great depth where your imagination can go live for an eternity. But in this case, or other severe injustices from poor writing and development, I'd rather those two movies just go away. Clutching to a fiction even when it is badly done and counterproductive is a too religious for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:37 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
Yes, folks are very much presently enamored of deep continuity and expanded universes. For these people, one bad movie can ripple backward and forward into the continuum to ruin the entire experience. This is especially implied by the lengths writers will go to maintain the continuum with alternate realities or multiverses such as Abrams' Star Trek, Terminator Genisys, or X-Men: Days of Future Past. There is enormous acceptance about the contemporary physics of the Many Worlds Interpretation of quantum mechanics.

To wit, this from Wikipedia about Bryan Singer's X-Men: Days of Future Past:
Quote:
Singer also talked about "changing history" in an interview with Empire magazine. He said he does not want people to panic about events in the past "erasing" the storylines of the previous X-Men films, as he believes in multiverses, explaining the possibility of certain events can exist equally in the histories of alternate universes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men:_Days_of_Future_Past#Development

That attitude also conveniently "happens" to preserve franchise revenues of all those old timelines and toys.

That said, I want Neil Blomkamp's Alien 5, assuming Ridley Scott can get over himself and allow it, to obliterate Alien 3, especially, and Alien: Resurrection from the mythology. Others prefer to retain its entire continuity. The trend toward expanded universes is very cool; I like stories with great depth where your imagination can go live for an eternity. But in this case, or other severe injustices from poor writing and development, I'd rather those two movies just go away. Clutching to a fiction even when it is badly done and counterproductive is a too religious for me.

To be fair, the comic story it is based off of is an alternate timeline scenario.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:40 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
Karkadann wrote:
Those who can, do.
Those who can not, criticize :mrgreen:

Hmm, welllll... That follows a dangerous line of thought, too, that we have no right to criticize unless we make movies. If only moviemakers can be critics, we exclude all our own arguments - both in support and in criticism.

Your right if all people do is offer complements you assume your work is perfect and your less likely to make improvements or if people don't or can't offer criticisms again your more likely to leave the work as is.

Ive also known people to invite criticism so they can improve their work only to fall on deaf ears, or the criticism is so generalized is difficult to determine whats being suggested. Compliments are great but they don't really help you improve your self or your work, and what was once a daily persecute becomes occasional activity

I stand corrected criticism is helpful however it can also be hurtful I guess the trick is to take the criticism being offered as constructive criticism and use it to your advantage, not criticizing is like laughing at a bad joke just to be polite, you think the joke is good and you go and tell others only to make a fool of your self

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:48 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

To clarify, I muddled the concept when I wrote "both in support and in criticism" because it implies that criticism isn't supportive, as if they were opposites. Criticism is supportive when it is constructive. After all, people are taking time out of their lives to help you. I should have written "both in praise and in criticism" because they both can be supportive.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4