It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:19 pm 

Some newer modem/router combinations include a firewall feature where the default/recommended settings block port 14617. The symptom is that the Uru launcher just hangs at startup. Some have claimed that retrying might fix this, but for this cause that will never work. My modem is a Netgear B90 (as tweaked by Frontier Communications):
Firewall Settings -> Port Forwarding -> OK -> Add

There create a new trigger port entry with both global and local ports with both start and end values of 14617.

Note that it really does block trigger ports - older modem firewalls (and on-computer firewalls) apparently didn't do that. (I had my prior modem for many years, but Frontier forced the upgrade to the modem/router/firewall that exposed this. I have no guess as to when this sort of modem with this feature started shipping.)

You could run the modem with "wimpy" or no firewall, but that's not recommended.

DonnKey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:31 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I've seen this kind of thing reported a few times over the years but it's a bit bizarre as port forwarding is normally only needed to allow a client outside your firewall to access a server inside your firewall, and the MOULa servers don't initiate connections to your client; it's the other way round. So what normally happens is that the Stateful Packet Inspection part of the firewall knows whether a packet received from the outside (whatever port it originated from) is in response to a request sent from the inside and therefore whether to allow it through without needing to manually set anything up.

So, yeah, cases like yours crop up from time to time, but they're "odd".

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:10 pm 

I also read online journals from my professional society, and they have been hitting the same problem (different ports, of course), and tell me they're looking to change to a well known port because of it. (That provided the clue necessary to figure this case out.)

Whether this is a feature or a misfeature, that modem has it, and it's being deployed by at least Frontier (which covers a fair part of the country). Undesirable, maybe, but it looks as if it will become more common.

DonnKey