It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:10 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Should the sparklies appear one per month?
Yes, it makes no sense having them all active 39%  39%  [ 12 ]
No, I’m too lazy to wait a whole year :P 61%  61%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 31
 Post subject: Sparklies behavior
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Something I’ve been thinking about for a while: currently all the sparklies are active, but they were meant to appear one at a time each month. Assuming reinstating their former behavior could be done easily, would you agree with this change?

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

Post subject: Re: Sparklies behavior
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
If we'd had this discussion back in 2010, I might have voted for one per month just because that's the way it was meant to be. But, it seems to be a moot point, now. Everyone either already has them all or could grab them quickly enough if they knew they were going to be turned off. That leaves only the new players (and new avatars on current accounts, yes) without them and that just seems a bit unfair.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:16 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference either way. There's little or no novelty about them the way there was when they first appeared and we don't know what Cyan's intentions for them were had MOUL run to a second season.

When MOULa opened up, the notion then was that it carried on, more or less, from where MOUL left off, so all the sparklies were enabled.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:34 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Keep them all on. Feathers should be one per month. ;)
Mac_Fife wrote:
...and we don't know what Cyan's intentions for them were had MOUL run to a second season.

My wish at the time was for Cyan to reacquire clear rights to Myst V and have the completed Relto sparklie island contain a link bubble to the starting point in Myst V. Then add those Myst V ages to MOUL one at a time. How cool is that? Beats fireworks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:32 pm 

Thank you, Korovev, for offering ideas to improve MOULa. :)

I voted for "No, I’m too lazy to wait a whole year :P."

I first registered for URU Live during GameTap MOUL, and at that time, all of the sparklies (except for the borked Minkata sparkly) were active. As I played the online game the first time, it did not bother me that all the sparklies were available; I just accepted the conditions as they were.

I think one or more shards release the sparklies once per month, and so if someone wants to enjoy that experience, s/he can join a shard.

Although I'm not vehemently opposed to changing the availability of sparklies in MOULa, I don't think it would make much difference in the enjoyment of the game. I'd prefer to see the pellet points scoreboard improved and the Heek scoreboard activated.

Oh ... and of course, I'd love to see Myst V: End of Ages integrated into MOULa; but I won't get my hopes up.

Susa'n KI#1040105 (member Shorah gah bigtotee's Hood)
CT Hostess Susa'n KI#9122427 (member Cavern Tour's Hood)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:23 am 

JWPlatt wrote:
My wish at the time was for Cyan to reacquire clear rights to Myst V and have the completed Relto sparklie island contain a link bubble to the starting point in Myst V. Then add those Myst V ages to MOUL one at a time. How cool is that? Beats fireworks.

Hang on...what?!?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:56 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Nev'yn wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:

Hang on...what?!?

;)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12653&p=210049&hilit=bubble#p210049 (Wesa goin' home!!!)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15393&p=255708&hilit=bubble#p255708 (whoa, Fan Content possibility!)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15414&p=256013&hilit=bubble#p256013 (aww, got none of them)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15414&p=257689&hilit=bubble#p257689 (wow, some came true!!!)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16155&p=269367&hilit=bubble#p269367 (now we're talkin')
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22910&p=360450&hilit=bubble#p360450 (one track mind)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27394&p=410692&hilit=bubble#p410692 (give it meaning!)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:59 am 
Obduction Backer

I think Nev was commenting on 'reacquire clear rights to Myst V', something which doesn't need to happen since Cyan always had those rights.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:59 am 
Creative Kingdoms

KathAveara wrote:
...Cyan always had those rights.

Nope.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16642&hilit=myst+2008
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=17750&p=295515&hilit=myst+2008#p295515 (*)
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=17750&p=295542&hilit=myst+2008#p295542
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25380&hilit=myst+2008

* Broken GameSpot link in post now found here:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ubi-so ... 0-2884849/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
That leaves only the new players (and new avatars on current accounts, yes) without them and that just seems a bit unfair.

I’m not sure it would be “unfair”; it would make acquiring the fireworks more worthwhile the those we have now.

Basically the main reason I propose this change is to have something (for new and old explorers) to look forward to for 12 months. And it’s a change that (I presume) would require little fiddling with the data, unlike the pellet score and other additions.

By the way, delayed achievements like this are not unheard of in other-more-popular-games.

Mac_Fife wrote:
When MOULa opened up, the notion then was that it carried on, more or less, from where MOUL left off, so all the sparklies were enabled.

I don’t get it; if they were meant to be all active, the previous months should have stayed on, wouldn’t they :?:
In my understanding, there’s actually just one sparkly that moves every month.

It could be argued that the calendar island would have been a gateway for an expansion, like JWPlatt suggested.

JWPlatt wrote:
My wish at the time was for Cyan to reacquire clear rights to Myst V and have the completed Relto sparklie island contain a link bubble to the starting point in Myst V.

It would be fantastic! But I don’t see that happen while they still sell Myst V. Same reason we don’t have the whole Myst island: they’re still selling realMyst.

Though, if the Launcher were capable of importing datafiles from an already installed game folder...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:46 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

korovev wrote:
Mac_Fife wrote:

I don’t get it; if they were meant to be all active, the previous months should have stayed on, wouldn’t they :?:
In my understanding, there’s actually just one sparkly that moves every month.

That's true but as I recall all the sparklies were turned on during the final months of MOUL to allow all the more recent players to complete their collections.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:33 pm 

Perhaps this is just a crazy thought...As someone who has worked for the government...Many of the best solutions are those that make everyone happy...or more correctly, at least not unhappy.

What about having one sparkly appear each month...and then remain on the rest of the year?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nev'yn wrote:
and then remain on the rest of the year?

Permanent please. December lasts only 31 days you know. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mac_Fife wrote:
as I recall all the sparklies were turned on during the final months of MOUL to allow all the more recent players to complete their collections.

Ah, so they’ve been on cheat mode long enough to become a feature :P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:56 am 
Obduction Backer

I apologize for deliberately misunderstanding your post Nev'yn, sorry for that.
The idea of having all the sparklies availlable in december makes it pointless to gather them earlier.
The reward for having the full set is disappointingly anticlimatic though. A portal would remedy that, but.
I do not think it would be wise to integrate MystV EOA into MOULa anymore than adding Myst, at least not in their original form. Parts of them in an earlier or later state could be an entirely different matter.
Myst is Cyan property, MystV EOA is partly owned by UBISoft and there seems little chance of a return, let alone profit. It would be quite a large and costly project. Who is going to pay for it? A second kickstarter seems the likeliest option.
But for Cyan being a compahy ANYTHING else would be smarter unless they come up with something briliant.
A TV show that may or may not become real or Obduction becomming a major hit could change everything. Nothing to do but wait or in case you have the skills join the Guild Of Writers. https://www.guildofwriters.org
If you are as good as Tweek, Blake Björke or the 59Volts crew there are other options offcourse, but who is?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next