It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:30 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:47 pm 

If you're a Windows user it's time to ditch QuickTime, quickly

Apple is no longer offering support for the PC version of its multimedia player and that is getting United States Department of Homeland Security worried. So much so that it has issued a statement warning users of the risks of using software that is no
AFP Relax News

How will this affect the Myst series programs?????

How about Quicktime Alternative - a third party program?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:40 pm 

None of the recent Myst games use QuickTime, I think only Myst (original and ME) and Riven do. Myst III and later (including Uru) use Bink instead. Myst and Riven don't work with the current QuickTime anyway, so there's no harm in uninstalling it if you don't need it for anything else.

As an alternative I can suggest VLC (https://videolan.org/vlc/), it supports a lot of media formats, also works as a streaming client, is open-source and actively maintained. Of course it won't work as a replacement for QuickTime for programs that depend on it, but such programs normally have their required QuickTime version bundled.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:20 pm 

Installing Quicktime Alternative does nothing. It used to install with Media Player Classic and installing that (and setting .mov to that) gets back mov files
I remember I couldn't play Riven from CD or DVD for years because of Quicktime but I can now with the GOG version. Whether I can now with Quick time uninstalled, I don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:14 pm 

Re: Myst & Riven,
from this post by wstrohm...
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/658416-10th-Anniversary-DVD-Problems-with-MME-and-Riven-on-Two-Computers?p=8158603&viewfull=1#post8158603

Older QT 4.1.2 zip archive, middle of page...
https://download.qt.io/archive/qt/4.1/

As mentioned by wstrohm "Disable Visual Themes" is checked.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:17 am 
Obduction Backer

I have to leave it installed for a couple of programs that I use (encoders), but I make sure the Quicktime TSR's don't run in the background.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:04 am 

you should have quicktime 6 installed for Myst and Riven, but that's all you need. Just turn off all the background processes so it only runs when the game is running, and you'll be safe.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:49 am 

Twitch wrote:
you should have quicktime 6 installed for Myst and Riven, but that's all you need. Just turn off all the background processes so it only runs when the game is running, and you'll be safe.

You forgot to tell us about you pc and your operating system. Do you beleive we have the exact similar setup as you have ?

Have you tried it under windows 7 or later windows versions ?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:17 pm 

I have windows 10 & I tried installing gog.com version of Riven and chose not to install quick time (no quick time installed on my pc at all) when it asked. The game still started up ok. I had a quick look around, seemed fine, but I admit I haven't played it through like that.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:03 pm 

Quote:
You forgot to tell us about you pc and your operating system. Do you beleive we have the exact similar setup as you have ?

Have you tried it under windows 7 or later windows versions ?

Yes, my setup is windows 7. There's no reason to have a verson of windows later than that, and if you do, it's time for you to set up a windows XP virtual machine to play old games on.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:38 am 

Twitch wrote:

Yes, my setup is windows 7. There's no reason to have a verson of windows later than that, and if you do, it's time for you to set up a windows XP virtual machine to play old games on.

I have windows 7 and windows virtual XP virtual machine that I cannot modidfy. I can play on Win 7 and be able to save progress only with the old QuickTime version 4.1.2 . (Myst & Riven games)

The main reason I use XP virtual is because it comes with Outlook email.