It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:28 am 

My computer updated itself today and now I've been having issues logging on. After I managed to log on, I was booted off of the server during my first ever door run. :cry: My apologies for that! I was wondering if anyone else is having issues like this, and if it's the site or if it was the computer update. If it was the update, how do I fix it?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:57 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Unlikely that the update caused anything (I presume you mean a Windows update). There was a server restart yesterday, so depending on when you experienced the problems,that might have been a factor. Often it's just network conditions that cause trouble - it might just correct itself.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Shorah Lek'si. I can't offer any technical advice; just wanted to welcome you to the forums and say I'm sorry you crashed during your first door run. But, these things happen from time to time; we've all experienced it, so everyone understands and there's really no need to apologize. I do hope your future experiences in the cavern are smoother. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:46 pm 

Mac_Fife wrote:
Unlikely that the update caused anything (I presume you mean a Windows update). There was a server restart yesterday, so depending on when you experienced the problems,that might have been a factor. Often it's just network conditions that cause trouble - it might just correct itself.

Thanks for the reply, (and the welcome, Tai'lar!). It happened a few times throughout the evening last night, and again today, within the first 10 minutes of logging in. Hopefully it will resolve itself. I'm not sure what to try otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:34 pm 

Are you on a wireless network? Use a wire if you can. What type of internet do you have(satalight, DSL?, cable?)

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:28 pm 

Jamie Marchant wrote:
Are you on a wireless network? Use a wire if you can. What type of internet do you have(satalight, DSL?, cable?)

Wireless. Cable. I kind of rearranged some things so that the computer would be closer to the modem/router. That seems to have helped a bit. I could use a wire, but it would be awfully long and unsightly! :) Thanks for the reply!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:45 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Uru is a bit susceptible to network gremlins that wouldn't affect most other things. A few people have had problems with wireless connections in the past. Even if you seem to generally have a decent signal it can get disrupted enough to mess up Uru if, e.g. someone walks between the router and the PC. Wireless isn't great at going through solid objects like walls and floors, especially at shallow angles (it increases the distance that the signal has to remain inside the object) and the high frequencies don't go round corners very well. So keeping the distance short is good, as is trying to make sure that when you do have to go through walls etc., that the path is as near to perpendicular to the wall as possible.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.