It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

I don’t really have working suggestions: for infinity, the decomposition “no boundary” seems fairly common among human languages, so ril + whatever word translates “limit, boundary”. Khrees’ dictionary speculates “stop” or “remove” for atmé, so another option could be rilatmétav (rilatmAtav). That shouldn’t be mistakable for “unstoppability”, as it lacks the “-ability” component.
By the way, infinity can summarily be divided in countable (e.g. integers) and uncountable (e.g. real numbers); D’ni might have two different words for these types of infinites.

As for cyclic zero, we have d’mala “to return”, so another option could be d’malaalrún, or assuming a bit of contraction, d’malrún (D’malrUn).

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

By the way, are we sure zunu is a gerund? The well-known quote it comes from (“the ending has not yet been written”) makes it look like a noun, translateable also as “conclusion”, wich indeed points to rilzunu.

Funningly enough, The Neverending Story translates Die unendliche Geschichte, where un-endliche means “infinite, without end”, suggesting riltezu(nu) (and come to think of it, look what I used for “endlessly” in my D’ni Notes :D ).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

korovev wrote:
I don’t really have working suggestions: for infinity, the decomposition “no boundary” seems fairly common among human languages, so ril + whatever word translates “limit, boundary”. Khrees’ dictionary speculates “stop” or “remove” for atmé, so another option could be rilatmétav (rilatmAtav). That shouldn’t be mistakable for “unstoppability”, as it lacks the “-ability” component.
By the way, infinity can summarily be divided in countable (e.g. integers) and uncountable (e.g. real numbers); D’ni might have two different words for these types of infinites.

I just looked up some synonyms for infinite, and eternal is one. How does tsanoth sound? It has the advantage of being very short and sweet, and should read as "eternity" if I'm not barking up the wrong tree again.

Quote:
As for cyclic zero, we have d’mala “to return”, so another option could be d’malaalrún, or assuming a bit of contraction, d’malrún (D’malrUn).

If you add the -al suffix to make it an adjective, then it falls after the zero, as Kath reminded me earlier. So it would be rūn d'malaal. However, I can't say I see why it's needed... except that the -al suffix can also be used as -ed, which would make the meaning "returned zero". Is that what you were thinking of?

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Last edited by larryf58 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

korovev wrote:
By the way, are we sure zunu is a gerund? The well-known quote it comes from (“the ending has not yet been written”) makes it look like a noun, translateable also as “conclusion”, wich indeed points to rilzunu.

That's what I've been saying, that zunu is a noun. It's listed as one Chris's dictionary.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

larryf58 wrote:
If you add the -al suffix to make it an adjective, then it falls after the zero, as Kath reminded me earlier.

Unless it’s attached to the noun: regarozíro or rezíro garo.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

korovev wrote:
larryf58 wrote:
If you add the -al suffix to make it an adjective, then it falls after the zero, as Kath reminded me earlier.

That's not the best example to use, because garo is an exception to the rules. When used as an adjective, it falls after the noun, but as part of a pronoun (at least in place names), it precedes the noun.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:58 am 
Obduction Backer

larryf58 wrote:
KathAveara wrote:
Well, rilshufeyth "what is unfinished" could be better (and has the advantage of being short!) Though I still prefer bivjeruth

Rilshufā is a verb, and it would be used something like "I would prefer that you not finish". Converting it to a noun would use the -tav suffix, not -(e)th. I added the -al suffix to changed it into the adjective, finished, which calls for -(e)th.

If we go with rilshufātav, we get "that which is not finish" or "that which is unfinish", which is grammatically nonsensical. Rilshufāaleth, "that which is not (or un-) finished", makes more sense, but it doesn't imply infinite -- it just means we haven't finished yet.

You are absolutely right about -eth and -tav - my bad there. However, you are incorrect about the grammaticality of rilshufeytav. I will draw your attention to rebareltav "the made", used in the verse from Words, "Rever the Maker; Cherish the Made; Here lies wisdom." It can be easily extrapolated from this that bareltav, with no article, can be rendered in English as "that which is made" - it then follows that rilshufeytav can be rendered as "that which is unfinished". Please don't confuse D'ni, English, and your ill-informed assumptions about how to compare the two.

larryf58 wrote:
korovev wrote:
larryf58 wrote:

That's not the best example to use, because garo is an exception to the rules. When used as an adjective, it falls after the noun, but as part of a pronoun (at least in place names), it precedes the noun.

Actually, the rules of D'ni compounding seem to generally permit any adjective to be the first element of a compound. Consider the name Relto, where el, the adjective, stands before to, the noun.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

KathAveara wrote:
Please don't confuse D'ni, English, and your ill-informed assumptions about how to compare the two..

Okay. Enough is enough. If this had been the first time, that might be put down to poor phrasing, but it's not. Nor is it the second. You just can't seem to participate in a debate without devolving into personal insults.

Yes, I make mistakes because I'm still learning when it comes to D'ni. I will ALWAYS have learning to do when it comes to D'ni. It's an incomplete language, and no one knows everything there is to know about it. Personally, I find your attitude offensive because you seem to think you do, and that no one else has anything to teach you.

I don't care how good you think you are with D'ni. This and the insults you have thrown out before are inexcusable. From here on, I will thank you to stay out of my topics and never, ever reply to any of my posts in other topics. There are other people just as knowledgeable who can help me learn, and they can hold an enjoyable and civil conversation, which seems to be beyond your capabilities.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

I have to agree, Kath. Do I have to remind you the rules you set for the GoL forum? You’re not doing the Linguists a favor.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ok, I get it. I know full well I'm utter trash when it comes to dealing with people whose views I do not share, but thanks for rubbing salt into that wound. Asperger's isn't fun, y'know? All I wanted to do is help, but I guess that's not really my area of expertise. So I'm just gonna throw the towel in now, and move onto things where I can actually feel appreciated. Cheers.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

I can sympathize with a mental disorder that is out of the control of the person who suffers from it, the fact is that I have one too.

I've never had it diagnosed, so I have no idea what it's called. The symptom is an inability to deal well with the emotional distress associated with trouble or fighting of any sort. Instead of reacting appropriately, I tend to freeze up and not react at all. It's a sort of "if I hide my head in the sand, maybe it'll go away" response. But that doesn't mean I can brush it off; it can take months of feeling distressed, defensive, and upset before I can regain an emotional equilibrium.

So yes, Kath, I can sympathize. But that doesn't change the fact that your careless words hurt me in a profound and long-lasting manner every time you spout them. This was not the first time I've sworn not to respond to you. I done that almost every time I've dealt with you. But I kept thinking, "well, this time the topic is harmless enough that maybe..." only for it to happen again. And again. It's been too much.

That's why this time, I came out and said it; it's better that you don't communicate with me, because you can't control yourself and I'm dead tired of feeling absolutely horrible for weeks on end because of it.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

While I have a few words I'm trying to think of ways to illustrate, zunu is the last one in the first round, which is appropriate since it's a noun that means "ending".

I chose the illustration for it because I thought that the image of Charlie Chapman and his female costar walking off into the sunset was a good way to show the meaning of the word and say goodbye to the first series of words. What I didn't realize until a few minutes ago was that I had unintentionally placed the word "ending" right across their posteriors. Talk about a Freudian slip! :oops:

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:30 pm 

Dang. Guess I'll have to see what I can come up with some words for you Larry. I hate to see this ending! Like I said before, it's a great way to learn D'ni. I'm a visual person, so this has been a wonderful way to learn! Thank you so much for taking the time to make all of these pictures. I'll have to take a look at that list and see if I can shoot you any ideas! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:33 pm 

Funny what you said about the last image Larry! I like the way the letters add to the effect! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

I’m not sure about the “X is the D’ni word for Y” formula in the new layout. I would leave just the translation, but that would leave out the transcription. Maybe putting it under the D’ni word?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next