It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:41 pm 

http://obduction.com/update-so-close/?utm_content=buffer7ad54&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

As much as I, and all of you, want Obduction out NOW, I think we all can agree that we want Obduction to be it's best. No glitches, no bugs. 100% pure fascination. So, buckle up your seats belts, because we got a little bit more driving to do.

BUT STAY EXCITED AS ALWAYS!!!!! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:30 pm 

I am so glad I did not back this game. I really do have my doubts weather it will actually be released. Plus I have a fairly new computer and according to the specs will probably barely run.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
At the risk of sounding snotty, I'm glad you didn't back it, either. It's something of a badge of honor to have believed in Cyan and backed the game from the very beginning. And, not once, no matter what the bad news was or how long the silence lasted, have I ever doubted Cyan would come through. And, not just produce a good game, but a very exciting, polished, high quality game.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Snickuster wrote:
http://obduction.com/update-so-close/?utm_content=buffer7ad54&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

As much as I, and all of you, want Obduction out NOW, I think we all can agree that we want Obduction to be it's best. No glitches, no bugs. 100% pure fascination. So, buckle up your seats belts, because we got a little bit more driving to do.

BUT STAY EXCITED AS ALWAYS!!!!! :D

Realistically it's impossible to squash every single bug in a program let alone a piece of hardware. All you can do is squash them as they come along. But I do see what you're saying. 8) I don't mind the wait. It's not like I'll be bored or anything.

Tai'lahr wrote:
At the risk of sounding snotty, I'm glad you didn't back it, either. It's something of a badge of honor to have believed in Cyan and backed the game from the very beginning. And, not once, no matter what the bad news was or how long the silence lasted, have I ever doubted Cyan would come through. And, not just produce a good game, but a very exciting, polished, high quality game.

It's hard to doubt a company that can do no wrong. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:40 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:

With the risk of sounding snotty myself, but I think it is crazy to upgrade my computer the which is only 2 years old to run a game that costs around $30 if it gets released, that was being planned for about 3 years or more ago, has been through some possible unavoidable changes and delays. It is impossible to get evey bug and run perfection. How many times has Uru been released and there are still plenty of bugs to go around? I understand their commitment to quality/cutting edge and they delays in the gaming world. I have stuck by Cyan for a long time and through the hardships they have overcome, so please spare me the "badge of honor" lecture just because I want to express my opinion on an open forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:33 pm 

J'ffrey wrote:
but I think it is crazy to upgrade my computer the which is only 2 years old to run a game that costs around $30 if it gets released

A lot of people happen to not meet the specs from what I've heard, but the reason is most likely because Cyan is building Obduction to meet "gamer standards." Gamers have big computers built to play the large, graphic games, and Cyan is not only trying to sell to the community that has grown with them, but they are also selling to a new community. One that will potentially help them grow even LARGER and build even BETTER games. Your computer may be 2 years old, but it depends how it's built. Is it built to just use the computer, or is it built to play games? Cyan isn't making you upgrade your computer, they're just trying to sell to a large group of people who spend a lot of time playing high quality games.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
At the risk of sounding snotty, I'm glad you didn't back it, either.

This is my biggest laugh of the week :lol: I couldn't let it pass me by ROTFL
How is waiting a few more weeks for a huge production going to hurt anybody ?
Patiently waiting and giving Cyan time to bring it out the right way :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:04 am 
Obduction Backer

J'ffrey wrote:
I am so glad I did not back this game. Plus I have a fairly new computer and according to the specs will probably barely run.

You must have bought the cheapest e-Machine at Wal-Mart then :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:07 am 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
touche :mrgreen:

I'm more than happy to wait because, by then, Quern will already be solved... :twisted:

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:37 am 

AdamJohnso wrote:
J'ffrey wrote:
I am so glad I did not back this game. Plus I have a fairly new computer and according to the specs will probably barely run.

No it wasn't bought at Walmart. Lol. The graphics card in the laptop has the Intel integrated and no solid state drive. According to the discussion on the developer blog those are 2 things that were highly stressed that would cause the game to not run right. CPU is fast enough and I have enough RAM.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:03 am 
Obduction Backer

J'ffrey wrote:
AdamJohnso wrote:
J'ffrey wrote:

No it wasn't bought at Walmart. Lol. The graphics card in the laptop has the Intel integrated and no solid state drive. According to the discussion on the developer blog those are 2 things that were highly stressed that would cause the game to not run right. CPU is fast enough and I have enough RAM.

Most standard laptops can probably have the hard drive upgraded to a SSD, and prices of these have come down. The graphics hardware is another matter. Some higher-end laptops may have options, as my Sony VAIO did when I ordered it set it up to run CAD and Adobe CS5, but this may not be possible for most if they are depending on either the main processor or chipset for the graphics.

-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:14 am 
Obduction Backer

J'ffrey wrote:
I am so glad I did not back this game. I really do have my doubts weather it will actually be released. Plus I have a fairly new computer and according to the specs will probably barely run.

J'ffrey wrote:

You have a fairly new computer designed for doing office work, not gaming.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:19 am 

J'ffrey wrote:
I really do have my doubts weather it will actually be released.

Whether you personally have any faith in the game itself or not, I highly doubt Cyan would do all this work, stir up all this buzz in the media, and come this far with the game just to not release it. That would sink them as a company, and rightly so.

It's just another relatively minor delay to make things even better. They did it a few times before with Riven, and look how that turned out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:20 am 
Obduction Backer

My PC is 5 years old, I updated the graphics card earlier in the year with a model that's been out for 3 years now (and only because my original card has a well known issue that causes constant crashing when gaming). It runs modern games just fine but then I built it with gaming in mind.

I'm not fussed I'd rather see Cyan take the time and get it all nice and shiny before release then release it early and have it tank. Gaming community is so toxic these days if you put a foot wrong you get death threats on twitter : \

The rock is hard, the rock-biter is patient.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:53 pm 

Just wanted to mention, Cyan originally thought developing Riven would take 2 years. In the end, it took them 4 years. Myst Online has been left mostly "as is" since 2008, and yet after 8 years people here are still crazy enough to come check the forums here daily.
Yeah, a few weeks of delay for Obduction is just fine :D

Also, it's worth noting an SSD is not a mandatory requirement for any kind of game. It just makes level loading faster, but doesn't have any actual impact on FPS. Graphic cards, though, are a pretty big deal, and integrated ones are definitely not built for 3D rendering... :?

Edit: and yeah, the trend nowadays is to strictly respect the release deadline - but it's also the reason some companies sell you completely buggy games. Cyan wants their game to be perfect at launch - all the better !
as long as it's better than RMME