It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:46 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:26 pm 

Lord Chaos wrote:
I believe the dot that shows up frequently indicates an automatic save game is being created.

I guess so since I went back inside the game yesterday for a short visit and I started right back where I last saw this purple blinking dot...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:17 pm 

Obduction looks to be like Uru with its automatic saves and long update screens (not able to go forward). :!: Many players often saw that as game freezes.

Btw, what is I have seen on the internet reminded me of the previous Myst, Riven, a bit of Myst 3, a lot of Spire of Myst 4 games and big numbers of long links in Uru.

Edit:
PDF manual:
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... mo&cad=rja

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tomala wrote:
... My only big issue so far is that the game likes to consume all of my system memory after about 20 minutes of playing, then Windows will prompt me to shut down Obduction. If I ignore the warning the game itself will tell me I'm out of VRAM, and I have 12 gigs total of DDR3, a 4GB GPU and a 6 core 12 threaded processor. I haven't had a chance to look into it since I've been busy (long work week). I have other 64 bit games but haven't run across this issue.

Hmmm. This begins to look like there may be [slow] "memory leak" problems. My graphics card has 8Gb, and the main system has 32Gb DDR4 memory, but Obduction doesn't crash until it's been running several hours for me. I don't get a specific "Low memory" message, just a program crash message.

-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:46 am 
Obduction Backer

I've moved the game to my SSD and made some changes to my swapfile. I played for about 20 minutes yesterday while recording some game footage and haven't crashed so far. When I find more time I'll try for a longer session. Still lags like the expletive in numerous places where hardly anything is happening.

The game detected that I could run everything on epic (as expected since I run all of my other games on highest settings all the time), but I have a feeling since my GPU is AMD and not NVidia it might explain the extremely poor optimization. If I want to reduce lag I have to delete my ini's in the Obduction appdata folder and set everything to the lowest setting possible, which I shouldn't have to do on a system with an R9 Fury and a 3.3 GHZ Xeon. :roll: Cyan's implementation of GameWorks is starting to make me regret backing the kickstarter.

I plan to test this on my laptop when I find more time since that has a NVidia 870m dedicated GPU. Will report back on that when I have the chance.

Edit: expletive is censored? Good thing we're not talking about any Charles expletive novels... :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Now I'm curious what it is that's being censored.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
KathAveara wrote:
Now I'm curious what it is that's being censored.

The last name of the classic literature author who wrote, "A Christmas Carol," "A Tale of Two Cities" and "The Overly Sensitive Editor." :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ah!

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:35 am 
Obduction Backer

Ok, finally had some time to test the game on my laptop. For the record here are my specs for both systems I've played on thus far (taken from my Steam profile):

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Desktop:

Operating Systems: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit/CentOS 7 Core
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5
Processor: Intel Xeon X5680 3.3Ghz
Displays: 27" Viewsonic LED monitor and a 32" Samsung UN32EH5000
Graphics Card: Sapphire Nitro AMD R9 Fury (4GB HBM)
Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro with external breakout box
Sound processor: Digitech DSP 286 (for extra sound effects)
Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro
Microphone: Shure SM58
Headphones: Audio Technica AD700
Keyboard: Logitech G510
Mouse: Logitech G502
RAM: 12 GB

Laptop:

Laptop Model: ASUS ROG G750JS
Operating Systems: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Processor: Intel i7-4700HQ 2.4Ghz
Display size: 17"
Graphics Card: GTX 870m (3GB GDDR5)
RAM: 16GB

Installed Obduction to the SSD, began a fresh save, the game recommended High but I up'd it to Epic just to see what would happen. Other than a stutter from time to time while walking around the terrain I can say it ran far better than it did on my desktop. :evil: While I'm happy my laptop can play Obduction near perfectly I find it rather depressing. There is no excuse for a 2.4 Ghz i7 and a 3GB GPU to beat out a 3.3 Ghz Xeon with six cores and threads and a 4GB GPU with High Bandwidth Memory. Thank you Gameworks Gumworks.

I really hope Cyan optimizes this for AMD cards too. I'm fortunate to have two systems with two different GPU's just in case something like this happens (and for portable gaming). Not everyone has the desire or resources to do the same, and you alienate an entire group of people from enjoying your game the way it was meant to be played. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:58 pm 

Hi,

I have read many comments on the net about the "save" bug" of Oduction (image corruption).

I tried to find an explanation for the best way to save the game but have not been able to find something yet.

Post sample:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Can start new game but unable to load save (self.Obduction)
* by phosphoruscyclone

This is driving me nuts, have tried the language switch every which way I can think of and I still can't load a single save file. Even tried reinstalling but that did no good. Any suggestions beyond the language swap? Thx.

edit: Oh and it also keeps reverting to a low resolution on startup despite having higher saved in gfx settings.

Edit: Sept 2, 2016
Possible fix. See post from Mystdee at Cyan tech forum...
http://forums.cyan.com/viewtopic.php?p=10437#p10437

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:20 pm 

See update / edit / possible fix / new info / above post.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:20 pm 

I'm just a little bit stuck at the moment and want to make sure that it's not because of the stupid thing I did regarding one of the worlds:

[Reveal] Spoiler: Stupid Thing I Did
I locked the last gate on the tram ride in Maray (Is that how it's spelled? I'm still not quite sure on if I'm remembering it right) without realizing that I'd soon get locked out of the other way in into the Chambering area. Now I'm unsure of if there's anything I needed in that area that I now can't get access to, or if Cyan intended for that area to become inaccessible as the story progressed.

So, my question is to the people who have finished the game, or gotten past where I am at, do I need to restart from an older save in order to undo this, or can I progress ahead?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Locking that gate (after the ride) is not a mistake. In fact, I believe the game locks it for you when that area is closed down.

However, depending on what else you've done in the game, there is a chance that you can get stuck at that point in the game. See the Cyan forums.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:52 pm 

Okay, that's good to know that it locks itself. That's one relief....

But, I'm pretty sure I did do something wrong somewhere along the line. Bah. I'm gonna have to do a new save, I suspect, just to figure it out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:33 am 

Turns out I was just being stupid about a door- I wasn't as stuck as I thought I was. And tonight, I finished Obduction.

Did Both Endings. Good first, bad second... Man, it hit hard, doing it in that order... Poor C.W.

Wow! Just... Wow. Good game, Cyan! Good game and wonderful story telling! I still need to do a replay to get a few easter eggs, and make sure I *did* read everything about the story right, but overall... I think I understood the story you were trying to tell on the first try and that is amazing! Some games just don't do their storytelling plot moments right these days, and I'm glad Obduction isn't one of them! :33

Also, since I sat through the entire credits sequence to the very the end, let me just say "THANK YOU!" to all the backers! Obduction is a great game and it wouldn't have existed without your help. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

I also want to offer some high compliments to Cyan for their achievement on Obduction!

The level of detailing is incredible: the amount of rubble, aging, the props and the natural-feeling organic environment, the lighting, the audio environment, all synthesized so well. The visual effects are VERY impressive (no, I'm not referring to Unreal's ballyhooed particle effects), and I think a good number of these tricks were invented by Cyan. I also LOVED the huge number of "viewpoint" overlooks that were crafted for no other reason than to give the player a beautiful and/or immersive POV or to show a spatial relationship, and the number of red-herring paths that just make the place feel less of a Computer Game (you know, the games where every Thing automatically must have a Purpose). It's astounding what was achieved in just a couple-few years, with a small staff.

I also have to compliment Cyan on their restraint in posting teaser images in their publicity: it was so nice to have so many "wow" moments as one walks into some amazingly huge space for the first time, sight-unseen!

Very Well Done, Cyan - on both Quality and Quantity!