It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Check this out: https://haven-moon.com/

Been playing for 4 hours already. It feels like I've been thrown back in time to 1994.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:45 am 

The graphics and world design in this are fantastic. I was very impressed by how things are put together; they look like things that were actually built and could be used.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Agree with what LC and Yali said!

I found the message from the game's creator especially touching:
It took me more than 20 years to create this game. From the first time I played Myst around 1994-1995 when I was a teenager, recreating the same experience became an obsession. During all these years, I tried many times to build my own Myst-like game, but it’s only 3 years ago that everything coincided to make Haven Moon possible.

This project represents not only 3 years of really hard work, but also a huge part of my life, the journey leading to the release of this game was incredible.

I absolutely loved working on Haven Moon and I was very lucky as I was able to make it 100% as I imagined it. So now I really hope that you will have as much pleasure playing it as I had creating it.

François Roussel.

You can really feel the spirit of reverence for the MYST style of gaming in everything Mr. Roussel has created in Haven Moon. I'm only maybe 1/3 of the way into playing (and am at a stall point, don't know that I'll have time to properly complete the whole thing for some time now), but his work is very impressive...especially for a self-taught, independent artist!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:52 pm 

Nice trailer.

Tell me about the money part of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:15 am 

The money part: $14 on Steam. Worth it, I think.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:09 am 
Obduction Backer

Looks amazing. Absolutely worth the money, I think. Too bad it's only on Steam.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:42 am 
Obduction Backer

Nice game..Although an option for audio control would be better.....

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

The game was pretty good. The puzzles made a lot of sense to me. The only puzzle I didn't care for was the Cannon Island. Far too much running back and forth... LOL.

Another game I liked was The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. It had great graphics and gameplay/storyline.

Saruk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:12 pm 

Agreed. Haven Moon is a great effort from a small indie dev and oh so very Myst like.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is also quite impressive, visually and narratively.

You might also want to take a look at Quern, as it also is a very promising Myst-style game made by a small core team of four indie developers.

Also - a bit farther off from the Myst aesthetic is 'The Witness' which is effectively devoid of narrative but does have a large and beautifully designed gameworld and an absurd number of puzzles.

Also there's 'Xing: The Land Beyond' in development which looks sort of intriguing, even if the puzzles look to be fairly easy, plus there's Chuck Carter's game in development, Zed. Plus the indie 'Eyes of Ara' and a number of others are worth a look.

I really think we are entering a new golden age of 'Myst like' puzzlers, there are so many good puzzle games showing up lately. Plus if you are okay with platformers (which are puzzle based) I'll go ahead and strongly recommend the Portal games and the indie titles 'Braid', 'Fez', and maybe also 'The Bridge'.

All of those, at certain points, were really nicely mind-bendy and clever. And the Portal series is hilarious on top of that!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quern is my favorite (non-Cyan) Myst-like so far. I haven't finished it, but so far it's up there with Obduction.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

I picked up Harvest Moon the other week but I've not had chance to play it yet.

Loved Ethan Carter though (well aside from the
[Reveal] Spoiler:
astronaut part
which really broke the immersion for me).

Did not care for the Witness however. Visually it's nice I love the colours and I like the "low poly" style but to me it feels like a glorified version of the daily puzzle section in the news paper. I don't much care for puzzles for the sake of puzzles.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Now I have finished Quern. An excellent game. I think it has more puzzle content than Obduction, although it's hard to make that comparison meaningful.

The puzzles are nearly all good. (There is one bad puzzle. This is a great average, really.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:29 pm 

I just bought Quern, haven't played it yet. Just started an older title called "Dream" on Steam; it's more atmospheric, exploration to unlock an explanation rather than a linear story, and there are puzzles along the way. I'd compare it to Kairo from a few years back.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

I tried _Dream_, found the initial puzzles to be annoying and not fun to work on.

My recommendations for adventure games over the past year (both narrative-focused and puzzle-focused) are _Obduction_, _Quern_, _The Witness_, _Vanishing of Ethan Carter_, _Everyone's Gone to the Rapture_, _Event[0]_, _The Guest_, _Californium_. (Some of those are older than a year, but I only got a Windows box recently so I'm catching up on older stuff too.)

There's definitely a range of approaches there. _The Witness_ is sort of only pretending to be an adventure game, except certain aspects of it really are.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

So it seems games are going more Windows than Mac supported...Why is that? Just curious, cause I've never used a Mac

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422