It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:44 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

I looked through the marriage notebook for possible metaphors. As KathAveara mentioned, "tie/join/bind" is probably the best, but we don't have a good idea of how to express that. The section on how the fathers of the bride and groom would "give" their children suggests "before she was given to me"/"before I was given to her" as possible circumlocutions (though for all we know, these were the standard phrases!).

Going out on this limb a little further, using active pilel for "receive" would have the advantage of maintaining the parallel with Yahvo and the soul.

Turning to purely grammatical matters, there should be a copula in "what's her name", though I'm not sure whether kam foosahtahvon kenen or kam kenen foosahtahvon would be better.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Talashar wrote:
I looked through the marriage notebook for possible metaphors. As KathAveara mentioned, "tie/join/bind" is probably the best, but we don't have a good idea of how to express that. The section on how the fathers of the bride and groom would "give" their children suggests "before she was given to me"/"before I was given to her" as possible circumlocutions (though for all we know, these were the standard phrases!).

If so, then tag would be the word, but tagal v'ja could mean a great many things. The same goes for pilelal v'ja. Since neither specifies what is being given or received, we'd need a word to modify it. That goes back to not having any sort of word for a spouse, bride, etcetera.

Quote:
Going out on this limb a little further, using active pilel for "receive" would have the advantage of maintaining the parallel with Yahvo and the soul.

Turning to purely grammatical matters, there should be a copula in "what's her name", though I'm not sure whether kam foosahtahvon kenen or kam kenen foosahtahvon would be better.

That would be kåm kenen fūsatavom, then. There's no reason for kenen to be at the end of the sentence.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:43 am 
Obduction Backer

The fact that penalties were applied to children conceived out of wedlock implies that the D'ni frowned on premarital sex, and I can credit that they were in general more patient and solemn than surface-dwellers, but that doesn't mean they never did, or joked about, such things. Whether or not this specific joke would have fit well with D'ni culture is another matter! I don't remember if we have any examples of D'ni jokes...

larryf58 wrote:
Talashar wrote:

If so, then tag would be the word, but tagal v'ja could mean a great many things. The same goes for pilelal v'ja. Since neither specifies what is being given or received, we'd need a word to modify it. That goes back to not having any sort of word for a spouse, bride, etcetera.

Well, I was thinking you could just use a verbal construction and not bother with v'ja, as you seemed to be doing at first.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

larryf58 wrote:
Yisha is the word for planet

This is still only speculation, and should be indicated as such.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:53 am 

Just looked through most of them. They're great, and I'd love to see them all in a book or something like that. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:56 am 
Obduction Backer

well done, Larry, what a huge body of work you have created!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Check back and flip through them later. I'm still converting the older ones and searching for better pictures for a few. Some of the recent ones I've changed the pictures in are gate, imprison, and move. There are others too.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:03 am 
Obduction Backer

Most of the illustrations have been edited. All that's left are the numbers. I plan to keep the square shapes, make larger borders to put the text on, and add the English definitions. A question I have for you all is this: Should I keep the tally marks?

I put those on as a way of visually demonstrating how the numbering system works, but I don't know if they got the idea across. If you think they should stay, I'll move them somewhere else, since the English text needs to go at the bottom of the image.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:56 pm 

I just looked at the numbers and I like the ones you did with the tallys on the side and black lettering on the bottom. I like the tallys.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm mostly done with the editing now, although in the future I may alter them as better information becomes available. As an example, pekā doesn't mean "equal", so if we ever get the real definition of the word it'll have to be changed.

Now I'm back to making images either on request or if the mood strikes me particularly hard.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Here's another proposed extrapolation.

We know that tefūnet means "memorial", since RAWA gave that one to Tweek.

We are about 80% certain that rifūn means remember, from the quote on the red and blue pages in RealMyst.

Is it reasonable to think that the root word from those two examples, fūn, might mean "memory"?

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Here are two tidbits that RAWA told me which I can't illustrate.

First, the Age names Er'cana, Er'duna, and Er'jera. He had this to say.

"Er'" became a common prefix for the Ages where the Guild of Caterers harvested their ingredients. "cana" - I have not been able to find in any of my documentation. Sadly, I do not remember what it means, but it would be a word related to the main crop there, which I also do not remember.

So, the "er" prefix is an indication that it was a food-production Age. The root word is the name of the main ingredient, although those words remain undefined.

The Age name Jalak is also still undefined, but...

"Jalak" was the name of the pillars in the Age. Ryan Miller thought is sounded like "Did you lock" all run together. So he started calling it "Jalak Dador" as in "Did you lock the door?" Apparently that stuck, even though it was meant as a joke.

In other words, jalak is not the word for pillar, but they were called Jalak pillars, which means it may be that the game played on them was called Jalak. RAWA said that he never calls the Age "Jalak Dador", by the way.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:55 am 
Obduction Backer

larryf58 wrote:
"Er'" became a common prefix for the Ages where the Guild of Caterers harvested their ingredients.

Some nice confirmation there.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Now that I have the illustrations for åtinor and garkal up, I can share this part of the conversation. I asked him about the difference between -(e)t and -(e)ts. I'm not sure how much it clears up. :wink:

Quote:
I'm of the opinion that there are three related suffixes, -ets, -et, and -(e)t. -ets seems to convert nouns into adjectives, -et seems to convert verbs into adjectives, and -(e)t seems to convert nouns into a particular type of adjective. There are at other opinions that -(e)t is the default for converting nouns into adjectives, and another that -t is just a way of shortening -et for use with vowels.

RAWA's reply:

et - "-ful" (makes adj. from n.)
    chev - (n. thank(s)) --> chev-et (adj. thankful)
    å-ti-nor - (n. beauty) --> å-ti-nor-et (adj. beautiful)

ets - "-y" (makes adj. from n.)
    gar-kal - (n. storm) --> gar-kal-ets (adj. stormy)

ets - "-th" (makes ordinal number)
    tor - (four) --> tor-ets (fourth)

And, yes, if the word being modified ends with a vowel, the vowel at the beginning of the suffix (or end of a prefix) is usually dropped. (This was a judgement call. Every once in a while, it was left alone if I liked the sound of the word better with both vowels)

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:48 am 
Obduction Backer

This is great! Can't wait to see more.

reatinorokh re ter kenen t'ahlon roob regerahnokh re ter kenen t'nayon
Though we don't know for sure what ahl (leaves? flowers? fruit?) and gerahn (strength?) mean yet, the meaning of the proverb as a whole is pretty clear now, contrasting a fair appearance with the actual source of (strength?).

Is the word garkal or garKal? It looks like Rawa's using OTS consonants, but you have garkal in the dictionary picture.

If -et is applied to nouns, this suggests that at some point there was a noun teeg 'work' which may have been replaced by teegtahv or still be used alongside it.

The way -et and -ets are defined makes me think that there might not actually be a robust semantic difference between the two. It seems that for some words, the English definitions actually work better reversed: tromets is more like "wingful" than "wingy".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next