It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

I have read that High Sierra will no longer support 32bit Apps. My Moula installation is via the old GameTap Cider Wrapper which is 32bit.
Can anyone advise me how to ensure that I'll be able to log into Moula AFTER upgrading to High Sierra?

Thanks in advance

and ...

uʍop ǝpısdn ʇsod uɐɔ l 'sǝʎ

Ki # : 02037973

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:21 pm 

As far as I know, High Sierra (10.13) will be the last version to fully support 32-bit programs, so there's nothing to worry about yet. The version after that (10.14) will show warnings when using 32-bit programs, and at some point in the future, 32-bit support will be dropped completely.

Source: Heise (article is in German, but you can find lots of English articles too if you google for "high sierra 32 bit")

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:35 am 
Obduction Backer

More of Apple's planned obsolescence. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:17 am 
Obduction Backer

boblishman wrote:
Can anyone advise me how to ensure that I'll be able to log into Moula AFTER upgrading to High Sierra?

Backups ... BACKUPS ...
I would strongly suggest making at least one clone of your drive before you attempt any major change.
Then you are free to experiment. The worst that happens is you loose a few hours cloning the old OS back.

My Wineskin wrapper works fine on the beta.
From a quick google, it seems like your good with High Sierra and all it's security, bug fixes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:00 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks guys! Looks like I misread the original article and that High Sierra WILL still run 32bit Apps like you say. I always have Time Machine active (backing up to an external HD) which I assume will enable me to reinstall Sierra if there are any major problems with High Sierra. However, from more reading it seems that it's unlikely this new update will cause any of my existing software to stop running properly. Looks like I "knee-jerked" to the original article, so thanks for straightening things out! :)

Stone, you say your wrapper is a WineSkin ... what wrapper version and engine are you using?

and ...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:44 am 
Obduction Backer

You can have a 64-bit Wine emulating a 32-bit system. But indeed, Cider itself will probably have to be left behind if 32-bit support is dropped.

Abandoning 32-bit support seems to be a general trend in the Linux world, not just an Apple thing.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes, that's what I thought korovev, so it seems that it might be wise to prepare my machine by changing over to your Wine wrapper (which I assume is 64 bit ?) now, before the next big MacOSX which will only have partial support?
I'm guessing I could download your wrapper and then simply copy across (from my Cider install) the 'Uru Live' folder (to save downloading everything) ?

and ...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

boblishman wrote:
Stone, you say your wrapper is a WineSkin ... what wrapper version and engine are you using?
I have a few clients. Haven’t had many issue, so I don’t pay much attention to the version numbers. I’ve been using the first two below for a while with no major issues. Last night I tried 2.16 (newest version at the time I’m writing this) and it seems to work fine.

Wrapper Version: Wineskin 2.6.1
Engine: WS9Wine1.7.52

Wrapper Version: Wineskin 2.6.2
Engine: WS9Wine1.9.24

Wrapper Version: Wineskin 2.6.2
Engine: WS9Wine2.16

boblishman wrote:
I'm guessing I could download your wrapper and then simply copy across (from my Cider install) the 'Uru Live' folder (to save downloading everything) ?
Yes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:52 pm 

I just updated to High Sierra and now my Wineskin wrapped Uru Live doesn't won't anymore :( The one I used previously was using Wineskin 2.6.2 and WS9Wine1.9.21 engine. Also my Myst III Wineskin fails to start, too - it complains about graphics issues, which appears to be the reason with Uru, too.

Code:
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33cb4c,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33d2cc,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33d2dc,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33d74c,0x00000000), stub!
err:d3d:resource_init Out of adapter memory
err:d3d:wined3d_device_decref Context array not freed!
xp_import_surface: assertion failed: s == NULL
error: xp_import_surface returned: 2
xp_destroy_surface: assertion failed: s != NULL
xp_destroy_surface error: 3
X Error of failed request:  0
  Major opcode of failed request:  148 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  26 (X_GLXMakeContextCurrent)
  Serial number of failed request:  2253
  Current serial number in output stream:  2253

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:32 am 
Obduction Backer

Could try disabling... Screen Options -> Other Options -> Auto Detect GPU Info for Direct3D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:38 am 

Stone. wrote:
Could try disabling... Screen Options -> Other Options -> Auto Detect GPU Info for Direct3D

Hey thanks a millon, that worked! Both Uru and Myst III are now working again, great. I was considering reverting back to Sierra just because of Uru if it hadn't worked.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:41 am 
Obduction Backer

Not sure whats happened today but my MOULa install using the CIDER wrapper now has a major cursor problem. I cannot access the Relto/Ki/Setting/Quit icons as the cursor will not got to the bottom of the screen!
Further, I decided to change resolutions by pressing F4 to access the settings panel - to see if that would fix it.
I changed the resolution to the basic 800 x 600 and now the cursor will not go lower than a couple of inches from the top of the screen. I quit, and now I can't get back in because the curser will not reach down to the "Explore Uru" button on the opening screen!!

Anyone else got these problems?

and ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ok, I fixed it. I deleted the cache files for the Cider wrapper and now its ok.

However, I STRONGLY advise anyone to NOT use the Graphics settings dialogue box in game if you use the Cider wrapper. Every time I use it it screws up the cursor and I have to delete the cache files again. You have been warned :roll:

and ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

With cider my cursor was also stuck at the top of the screen. I was able to press <Command, Return> to toggle out of full screen. Everything seemed to work fine in windowed mode. Did not spend much time looking into it yet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:53 am 
Obduction Backer

The old Gametap Cider fullscreen is broken in High Sierra. I've wasted 2 days trying to get it to work properly and have now given up and created a new Wineskin Wrapper that works properly in fullscreen. I suggest that everyone who upgrades to High Sierra and wants to play in fullscreen does the same, especially as it has been suggested that the old Gametap Cider wrapper will not even open in the next update of MacOS.

The working Wineskin Wrapper I have made uses Wrapper 2.6.2 and engine 1.5.2.1.
You will need to UNTICK both of the "Other Options" boxes in Screen Settings Screen.

You can speed things up by copying the whole Uru Live folder from your current Cider wrapper and then running the PhysX installer from within WineSkin.
Once you have installed the Physx stuff, swap the wrapper back to UruLauncher and you're good to go.
The initial download will just be a few files PLUS, by copying the whole Uru Live folder, your login details will still be there, just in case you've forgotten your password or account name.

Your initial fullscreen screen resolution will be 800x600 but you can safely change this in game using the Graphic settings without having cursor problems

and ...