It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:08 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:38 am 

All very well said, Jmp12 and Lord Chaos.

I don't think the big things change. I still love URU and will be eternally 'here', whatever the weird, cosmic-y notion of 'here' is when it comes to URU.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:02 am 

Hello again, i am very happy to see a typical powerful and insightful discussion as I had hoped when i started this thread....i was a bit hesitant for i feared it might sound as if i were not supportive of Cyan, i am 100 percent supportive and care a lot about CYAN and the Myst and URU games and story. As any will know who have known me over the decades. My concern is that discord and other anti social channels of gossip are NOT a positive or open form of communication they are like people throwing a rock thru your window and then running back to their window. The only comment I will make about the suspension (I choose that rather than closing) is that I would have been willing to personally pay for the software upgrade and for a staffer to moderate the forum to keep them open and still am. I and others have offered such support to Cyan and I hope they may still consider it.

We have flourished because URU and the Myst games had and have powerful tools for communication on line and in real life, and allowed for the human element to flourish and grow and become vital and alive. When GAMETAP URU closed we kept it alive with a moderated live chat room for weeks and weeks indeed months. until the new MOUL woke up. Same for the Shards BEFORE GAMETAP and before that there was Myst Community and many other sites. There ARE still sites and I hope to support them and maybe at some point start a new URU FORUM funded by myself. We will see how things go.

I do not agree with my good friend Lord Chaos, we and I do NOT brush the dust off my feet i treasure it. it is the dust of the Ages of the D'ni Ages and of the love we have for them and for each other.

I will continue to visit the Cavern along with Henry and many others, including the wonderful Story Night Every Saturday night, and host and visit with any new and old players. Our Hood, one of the first to be created ...Amber Horizons and we hosted some of the first in Cavern Parties, our Beach parties by the waterfalls tossing fish baskets around. The spirit of adventure and fun have always been part of our shared Explorers' Journey. I have hopes we can continue this. ...Cyan has its challenges and I can understand the difficulties of manning and staffing constant support, and appreciate all that they have done up to now.

One post I need to address specifically in this thread, I am sorry but this form of communication, a full featured forum with a chance to consider, discuss and share both text and images and to see the discussion evolve in parallel with other topics IS NOT OUTDATED.......it is NOT just passe or like vinyl records....it is a solid valid and very useful form and will continue as long as there is internet and digital communication. The fad is the so called social media which is literally gossip, tiny blurbs, and bits of chatter, with no context, no way to really respond with thought an constant stream of static, created by yuppie midget minds who enjoy the thrill of such chatter in their lives...but who cannot focus and take time or allow time for considered response and congitation. That form IS a threat to culture of all kinds and Discord is no valid replacement for more complete and contextural discourse. I can understand it was an easy shift for Cyan but it is NOT a valid alternative and we will need to see what may be possible in the future to restore fuller contextual sharing.

We will see how things develop. I am preparing notes, and history I have gathered in my interactions with experts over the years to post for archiving and also pictures of the adventures and events in the past which I have always kept a good records of. As for the Explorers we have lost, we can preserve their memory and their love of the Cavern best by being true to and supporting the Story and the Journey now, and in the future. I plan to and hope to see many with us there too.

There is no "me" in URU in my experience, it is rather "us" and all of us that has made it so special and so i choose NOT to take my coat or wipe the dust off but to treasure both, and keep them right here where they belong in the CAVERN. thanks for all of the thoughtful posts, and tho I may either agree or disagree with you and with others, it is ALL of us that have made and make the Cavern such a vital and alive place and I would not lose any single one of us, past, present or future.

The Cavern Lives. As Long as We Believe

See you There.

Dr CrisGer and Max

Rand at a Cavern meeting

Beloved ResEng Mr Appling hosting Explorers in the Beginners Bevin

The original opening Screen of URU

The Miracle of the Rain...Yeesha Welcoming it

The Wonders of the Pods....so many adventures therein

Ireenquench's last Cavern Tour this was when the Bahro appeared with us :) SuperGram was there but she is taking the picture :)

Group Picture on the Great Stair, GAMETAP...are you there?

Original Cyan Promo picture of the Cavern and the Ferry Dock

in closing for now, until i post more pictures and Myst and URU data, i repeat, you may not have agreed with me or I with you in the past, but we were on and are on this Journey Together and I would not lose a single one of us, Past, Present or Future.

Max getting ready for the New Ages to come....

See you in the Cavern

"We Build Worlds"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

forums can be archived and stay on the internet forever, but someone has to do it. i for one don't know how. so if someone here knows how to archive a forum, please let us know.

there is so much info here that deserves to be preserved.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

ZestyOfXeniphers wrote:
... if someone here knows how to archive a forum, please let us know.
I did make a couple attempts using the open-source HTTrack scraper software, but both attempts choked due to too many URLs - and operator ineptitude, no doubt.
Maybe someone else has more smarts than I about this process?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:42 pm 

Still we need to clarify whether this board will exist after June--whatwasit, I thought it was very clear that it would be deleted, others say that it wasn't and we don't know what will happen to it.

And thank you Dr CrisGer for this wonderful post ♥

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yah, this one stings a little. As much as I understand where Cyan comes from on this Discord is nice an all I suppose, but it is a very different format. That's not replacement.

[edit]
Wait, was this supposed to go read only yesterday?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:43 pm 

aloys wrote:
[edit]
Wait, was this supposed to go read only yesterday?

Shhh ... don't tell them :P

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:23 am 
Obduction Backer

Still live :lol: :P

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:44 am 
Obduction Backer

Final thought:
While you’re dying I’ll be
still alive.

Final thought PS:
And when you’re dead I will be
still alive.

Still alive

Still alive.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

ZestyOfXeniphers wrote:
forums can be archived and stay on the internet forever, but someone has to do it. i for one don't know how. so if someone here knows how to archive a forum, please let us know.

*sneaks in under the radar*

I'm helping Cyan get a read-only static archive of the board's public content put together that they can stand up in-place here once the June deadline rolls around. Fret not :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:16 pm 

One more reply!

Still alive! :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3