It is currently Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:47 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:17 pm 

So, since most of us cant seem to get in..and its been like that for about a week now, what you guys think the actual problem is and what will that result in?

Do you think its just bugs?.. or could it have been that the system simply scales horribly badly and cant handle more than 50 ppl at best?.. or maybe they have massively underestimated the power of the machines needed and the network capacity required to run this game well..? or ????

imagine if lets say next week.. gametap comes to the conclusion that spending 800 billion $$$ on new servers and global fiberlinks to run URU aint worth it.. or maybe they are running the game on PS3's and simply didnt manage to get enough of them on launch day? :D IT COULD HAPPEN!!!.. heh

the

"There has been a network error. If the problem persists, please contact support"

msg is starting to read more and more like

"omg, we have totally screwed up everything, if problem persists as we can assure you it will.. please start kicking and screaming until support personnel dressed in white accompanying a white padded van arrives to help"

it was bad enough going through withdrawls the last time this beta was cancelled.. having to go throught it again could .. well I dont wanna think about it even hehehehe :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:31 pm 

Posted by eap:

eap
Cyan Employee

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:04 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings everyone,

Thank you all for continuing to hit the servers for so long; that was extremely valuable as it brought out a few performance issues (you may have noticed). I've been hacking away at those bottlenecks and managed to iron out a few of them, but unfortunately the most cripling one is not directly within my control. It's a database configuration issue, which is controlled by the DBAs over at AOL. I've put in an urgent change request. Let's hope they work nights and weekends!

-eap

Recently posted by LBell:

lbell
Cyan Employee

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:28 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still waiting on a more current update from our tech side about whats going on with the DB. But from talking with EAP it sounds like hes narrowed the problem down even further, just need the guys who are physically there at the DB servers to help us in fixing this. I should be able to get more answers withing the next couple of hours. So If you all need to eat or rest (lol) This would be a great time to do it. I'll keep you guys in the loop as soon as I hear something.

OH and I loved that statement about communications from something named "oracle" being unclear hehe that was toooo funny.

Lbell

Last edited by Nissa on Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:33 pm 

See the "status update" thread.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

We're beta testers. Beta. We cannot expect everything to go perfectly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:57 pm 

In fact, things can be expected to not work perfectly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:58 pm 

lego_addict wrote:
In fact, things can be expected to not work perfectly.

In which case, things are totally going according to expectations...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:59 pm 

Bugs are here and there
All testers must look for them
Thus is Beta Test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:08 pm 

Sorry people are upset because after moving the beta testing over to a completly new server archiecture and by the looks of it integrating it into Gametap, they've met with a few design problems. Which they are working on.

First off it takes time to move and build your new hardware

Secondly Nothing ever goes perfect by the sounds of it the major issue is out of their control until AOL sort it they can't do much, be happy Ibell is in on a sunday. (we really should send some dounuts for that)

oh and if they have to deal with AOL come on give them some slack

AOL:Hello how can I help you?
Ibell: Hi yeah we have a oracle DB that your hosting that needs some alterations.
AOL:I'm sorry you feel that way we can offer you anouther months trial for free and see how things look then
Ibell:No look I need you to change a oracle database or put me through to someone who can
AOL:I'm sorry your service hasn't been what you had hoped perhaps we could offer you increased web hosting
Ibell: No just put me through to your oracle guys
AOL: I'm sorry my managers on break, perhaps I could tempt you with the next 6 months free?

----kerrtimeouterror---------
Line Disconnected

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:08 pm 

Beta like Windows
Slow and crashy, doesn't work
Hope it's online soon.

Beta Haiku

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:09 pm 

Stevecrox wrote:
oh and if they have to deal with AOL come on give them some slack [..]

I know you're just joking, but I can assure you the technicians at AOL are nothing like the salesmen. ;)

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:15 pm 

Ahh Steve that really isn't fair look at lbells last post

'Last night I contacted our AOL techs and they put me in touch with the on-call DBA who was very helpful and made some adjustments on their end that greatly increased our concurrency with the database.'

The guy not only responed he started getting things put right. On a Saturday night at that. I have no love for AOL but its the people that count and it looks like AOL have got a good one.

So can we please stop bashing the techs by attacking the company they work for. I know if it was me and i'd worked through part of Saturday night to fix a clients problem. I'd be royally p***ed if went over to there forum only to find that the people I'm doing it for are dissing my company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:21 pm 

In fact, if you read the entireity of the latest post by EAP (not lbell), you'd find that what remains to be done is in fact on CYAN'S end...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

And I would just like to take a moment and point out that he level of detailed information we are getting from Cyan is completely unheard of!! I've been in other game betas where something went wrong, and not only did they never give any sort of explanation, when people got angry about it, they took the forums off line.

I am very grateful that we have the wonderul community that we do, and for Cyan, not only for their excellent communication with us, but for everything that they do!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

I was in the 2003 beta of the previous online version of Uru. There were always problems with the environment (network, server - not sure which) and it never got better.

So, I'm actually glad, oddly enough, that it broke now, in the closed beta. I hope that if they are going to experience more database/server/network problems (you pick) that it breaks in the closed beta.

There seems to be a nice professional, techical relationship between the people on the Gametap side (Turner, AOL) and the Cyan technical folks. That's really good.

Ibell, I love your reporting to us of what's going on it - thank so much much. It's nice to read what is happening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:51 pm 

Whilyam wrote:
Beta like Windows
Slow and crashy, doesn't work
Hope it's online soon.

Beta Haiku

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next