It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:01 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: The end of riven
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:27 pm 

some doubts and ideas ive started to think about when reading the"A Linking Book To RIVEN" thread.

What do we actually know about the end of Riven? I understood that opening the star fissure made everything go BOOM or be sucked in. What happens if we link there?

why did opening the fissure make the world go more unstable than before? Why didnt that happen with Relto? why didnt it make the world more unstable when it was created?

the things that where left from Riven were the Dagger (was close to the fissure) the telescope (right above the fissure), a whark (i think they are called like that) skeleton (somewhere in the rivenese sea). How come only these things came through? was there only one whark? how come no dome, or the link-in cell, or some rock or an axe or a mag-lev or etc. came through? how come no water came with the whark (i think there arent any mentions of torrential rains in new mexico 200 years ago)?

so what did really happen there? Might Riven actually still exist in some form?

how was riven supposedly destroyed? sucked away? just exploded? the islands went underwater?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:31 pm 

I think parts of it may have been diverted by the star fissure to other places and times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:39 pm 

mmh i thought about that but only now i understand what that means... what if we go to other ages and find Riven stuff on the way? mmh

Post subject: Re: The end of riven
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

crrash wrote:
some doubts and ideas ive started to think about when reading the"A Linking Book To RIVEN" thread.

What do we actually know about the end of Riven? I understood that opening the star fissure made everything go BOOM or be sucked in. What happens if we link there?

Stuff got sucked in (see The Cleft) the age collapsed. The descriptive book nolonger contains a link to Riven anymore so linking there proberbly isnt possible.

Quote:
why did opening the fissure make the world go more unstable than before? Why didnt that happen with Relto? why didnt it make the world more unstable when it was created?

The age was collapsing anyway due to the shoddy writing of Gehn. Relto is written by someone who is greatly skilled in the Art before she became the Grower.

Quote:
the things that where left from Riven were the Dagger (was close to the fissure) the telescope (right above the fissure), a whark (i think they are called like that) skeleton (somewhere in the rivenese sea). How come only these things came through? was there only one whark? how come no dome, or the link-in cell, or some rock or an axe or a mag-lev or etc. came through? how come no water came with the whark (i think there arent any mentions of torrential rains in new mexico 200 years ago)?

so what did really happen there? Might Riven actually still exist in some form?

how was riven supposedly destroyed? sucked away? just exploded? the islands went underwater?

They are called Wahrks ;) yes some of the stuff landed on Earth as to the other fragments who knows seeming Earth is one branch along the tree whos to say that an alternate Cleft doesnt have the remains we see but has fragments of the Link Cage and the Golden Dome instead ^_^.

There was a theory that each black cloud in the fissure was infact another Age. Not sure if it was just a theory or if it was actually the case but perhaps it offers an explination as to what happen to the rest of Riven.

Technically Riven exists in some form yes, that is the nature of the Great Tree of Possibilities there is an infinante amount of variations of Riven out there ready to be linked too.

How Riven collapsed is unknown I tend to think that the fissure opened causing the few items to be sucked in, the planets crust ruptured magma came to the surface and it generally went down hill from there ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:56 pm 

you mean to say that our age is the crappy one which missed out on the golden dome? i hate our version of earth :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:28 pm 

Here's what *actually* happened at the end of Riven, IIRC. The events of the game are slightly misleading.

You open the fissure to signal Atrus. He stops writing and links in to bring home both you and Catherine. Catherine assures us that she relocated all the Rivenese to Tay. They link out. You fall through the fissure, along with the telescope, dagger, and (presumably) a wahrk.

Atrus no longer writes any corrections into the Age, and so the Age slowly collapses over a period of a few months. It is almost surely not the case that the entire world was sucked through the fissure. The dramatic clouds and instability when you open the fissure are there to answer the inevitable question that people still ask: "Why can't we link back to Riven?"

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:48 pm 

At this point, the idiom 'Nature abhors a vacuum' springs to mind. As the fissure opened, it sucked a number of things in but eventually sealed itself and led to the eventual distruction of the age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:01 am 

You can see the Riven book in Myst III. (If it's still around) you folks can touch it if you want, but I won't go near it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:18 am 

I'd love to see Riven again, no age I've been to yet has matched it's beauty except for Tolesa - but I would have loved to have seen more of Tolesa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:09 am 
Obduction Backer

Here, here! riven was by far the most fantastic.

KI:06847856

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:14 am 

Looks like unless Yeesha can put Riven back together, or we get realRiven, we wont be seeing it again for a loooong time :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:41 am 

Riven was hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:58 am 

While riven was difficult, I think it was a great deal more logical than Path of the Shell. The contant bugs in POTS and the environment puzzles that were a little questionable made it a questionable experience. Thankfully the story made up for it.

Riven though, IMO Riven was the best Cyan game to date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:18 am 
Obduction Backer

li'aman wrote:
IMO Riven was the best Cyan game to date.

I have to agree. What I like most was that the puzzles fitted together to form an integrated whole, unlike the later Myst games (and Myst imitations) where the puzzles seemed to be arbitrarily included merely or primarily as a means to delay your progress.

In other words, each puzzle (or part thereof) had a purpose other than being just a puzzle (or an element of one). The place felt real, and it's a pity that it is unlikely we will ever be able to revisit it in the same way we can with Myst's ages in realMyst.

Then again, if Uru Live really takes off and gives Cyan extra money to spend... :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:30 pm 

thing is if riven would return it wouldn't be our riven, it would be different... at least we wouldnt have the same adventure, also we cant forget that as we have seen in myst 5's Myst, much can happen to an age in 200 years

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next