It is currently Sun May 24, 2020 11:30 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

I just received this in my latest email from GameTap

"Get a sneak peek at Myst Online: Uru Live!

We're putting the finishing touches on Myst Online: Uru Live, and while we do, we want to give you a sneak peek at the game and get your feedback on what you think so far. A beta version of Myst Online will launch within GameTap on Dec. 12. A "beta" version of the game means that not all of the game is functioning yet and some known errors still need to be fixed, but it will give you a taste of the game and while you're playing, you might run into some of the game's designers interested in your feedback. Feel free to be perfectly honest with them and help us create the best Myst Online game we can. For more information regarding this special opportunity, please read the Myst Online: Uru Live info card and visit www.mystonline.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:20 pm 

I just received the email two minutes ago. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:32 pm 

Awesome! :D

I guess this means open beta! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:20 pm 

Hurrah! So it is the 200-year anniversary after all! (Just not for launch.)

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

If that's a gametap email and it's "within gametap", is it really open beta? I thought non-preview people that do not live in the USA/Canada could not sign up to Gametap, so how would they get to this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Preview is a special arrangement between GameTap and Cyan and is international.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:09 pm 

THis is all well and good but at the moment there are some questions which need answering.

The Gametap messages directs people to this site but as yet there is no mention of it on the news page. Seems an oversight to me as people are going to come over take a look and not know if this is the right place or not. There needs to a big welcome banner hung out for them. Otherwise the curious may go away and not come back

What are the arrangements for international people who are not part of either the Beta or Preview groups?

I know quite a few people from countries currently on the eligable list who can't wait to get there feet in water, seems a shamed to 1) let them down and 2) miss this chance to get a feel for amount of international interest.

Having said that I'm sure Cyan and Gametap have it sorted its just pity there not better co-ordinated. Would on a lot of unneccessary speculation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:17 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

I made a quick call to GameTap Custoemr Service. Here's what they said, though they have been inaccurrate in the past:

Uru Live is still by invitation only.

On or about December 12, Uru Live will be released, as in "Go Live." I doubt this because the email says it is still beta. I think the email is to be believed. I think they really mean beta will be open to all GameTap members on December 12 without an official invitation. This isn't quite an open public beta. It's a closed public beta, though a bit more open than by invitation only. This is good way to ramp up load testing a bit more without swamping the servers with the general public. No Clerical Errors this time? ;)

Uru Live will be available through both GameTap and Cyan. This appears to settle the international issue.

Last edited by JWPlatt on Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:20 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
This isn't quite an open public beta. It's a closed public beta, though a bit more open than by invitation only.

Huh?

1) there's no invitation
2) there's no NDA
3) anyone in supported countries can join

I don't see what about it wouldn't be "open". It's still a "beta", not a final release, but how is it not open?

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:21 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

If you don't have an invitation and don't have a GameTap account, you can't get in. It's not open to the public without one of those things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:22 pm 

THis is what is posted on Gametap its self in the section for the game in the games catalogue

Myst Online: Uru Live
Originals - Adventure - 2006
ATTENTION: THIS IS A WORK-IN-PROGRESS BETA VERSION OF MYST ONLINE: URU LIVE FOR TESTING PURPOSES AND NOT THE FINAL VERSION OF THE GAME. ANY CHARACTER YOU CREATE AND ANY PROGRESS YOU MAKE IN THE GAME WILL UNFORTUNATELY BE LOST WHEN THE FINAL VERSION OF THE GAME IS RELEASED. We invite you to take a sneak peek at the world of Myst Online and spend a little time playing and exploring. Doing so, will help us test a few parts of the game. You might even encounter someone from the game development team who is interested in asking you a few questions. If so, feel free to be completely honest as your feedback will help us make the best Myst Online we can. Please note that as this is a beta version, some of the game areas and features will be turned ?off?. Also, there are still a variety of known ?bugs? in the game, so you may run into some problems or crashes. This is to be expected and is not a reflection of how the final game version will perform. This phase of the beta test is scheduled to end on Monday, December 18. Until then, make yourself at home and enjoy a special advance look at Myst Online: Uru Live. For more information and a copy of the instruction manual please visit mystonline.com

Note they are closing the 'open Gametap beta' on the 18th so its a pretty short open beta.

Last edited by darkstar on Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:25 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
If you don't have an invitation and don't have a GameTap account, you can't get in. It's not open to the public without one of those things.

So, it's not open to people in non-GameTap countries.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:29 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

chucker wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:

So, it's not open to people in non-GameTap countries.

It is if they have an invitation (from Cyan).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Whatever it means, it means progress. By the way, closing on the 18th, with a few days to a week for bug fixes, I hope we have Uru Live by the 23rd, then!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Here is a thought to consider:

Everyone is basing their understanding of this situation from an e-mail sent by GameTap, which is naturally going to provide a GameTap-centric point of view. If there is another way into Open Beta, then I wouldn't expect GameTap to bother explaining that in their e-mail.

Let's wait for Cyan to clarify things, and stop buzzing about like angry hornets. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next