It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:02 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:04 am 
Obduction Backer

I have been pooling over my D'ni guides and searching on the internet for stray bit of info with which I might carry out a sacred quest:
To attempt to Decipher the names of the D'ni-named ages.

I became inspired while reading the Book of D'ni over again- I was curious as to what the name "Terahnee" could mean, and I did a little research.

"Terahnee" seems to come from "Tehra," a noun meaning Tree, and "ahnee," a verb meaning to take/get. It therefore seems that Terahnee translates loosely as the tree-getting age, which makes sense, I guess, since it was the primary age that the people of Ronay fled to.

Looking through my guide, I found the word "Tahg," which means to give. I realized, then that "Tahgira" must mean something about giving. I realized that what was missing, -ira or maybe Gira, may then explain Eder Gira's name as well. Well, I thought about it and a common theme of both ages is ventilation of some sort.

Eder means to rest, or resting, so

Eder Gira may mean The rest age of ventilation
Tahgira may mean age of ventilation-giving, or something of that sort.

"Kemo" means fish, making Eder Kemo the fish rest age.

We still do not know what "Delin" means, so there doesn't seem to be any way of telling what Eder Delin, the apparently new age whose pictures I have fallen in love with, may have in store for us.

Eder Tsoghal seems to mean the rest age of ground/earth but may also mean caves or tunnels, as Gahlpo is a cave.

I can't figure out what Noloben means, but we do know that it was used as a museum age. That doesn't seem to help us, though.

Teledahn seems to be a word fused from pieces of two words: Tel, meaning guild, and Geh’Dahn, meaning wisdom. Maybe during the combination of these two words the G is dropped, forming Telehdahn. Thus Teledahn seems to be the age of the wise guild.

Kadish Tolesa. Well, took me a while to find out and I think I’ve surmised a reasonable answer: Kadish obviously refers to King Kadish. Took me a while to find out, but “to” means “place” and “lesh” means rule. To-lesh, and then with an extra “a” vowel at the ends for apparently no reason. Kadish Tolesa could therefore be Kadish’s place of rule, but could also mean Kadish's main place. Very iffy, but it makes sense.

Gahreesen- this is a weird one. Gah means and, Rees means to eat and ehn is a suffix turning rees into the third person. Basically it means “And it eats.” No idea why it’s named that. Maybe because it used to be a prison, who knows.

So, I know that there are a lot more but I'm sort of beat right now...so feel free to contribute if you have anything to add! :D Let's let this topic "toolehn!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:43 am 

You might be interested in a couple of threads at the D'ni Linguistic Fellowship. This one deals with the names of the Ages, though much is still unknown, and this one deals with Tolesa specifically.

BTW, Kadish was not a king. The era of the kings ended about 2,400 years before the Fall, when Kadish fled to his vault. Kadish was a former guildmaster in the Writer's Guild, then he became a merchant and ran an art gallery.

Noloben was not a museum Age. I think you have it confused with Negilahn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:59 am 
Obduction Backer

Oop, that's right. I meant Todelmer.

DOesn't mean I know what Noloben means, either. /shrugs

Eh, Guildmaster, King, What's the Difference?! :D
I do get Kadish confused a lot. I keep forgetting that he wasn't a king.

I looked at that topic about Kadish Tolesa. Kind of interesting.
I have this theory, though, that the D'ni may have taken bits of different words when naming things, similar to the way we do today.

For example, we have many prefixes and suffixes today that are based off of root words which are much longer, as opposed to using all of the full words to describe something. Perhaps The D'ni did something similar?

WHo knows. But I still can't get over "Gahreesen." >_<

Nonetheless, my main concern for this topic really, was to determine what "Gira" meant as it appeared in more than one name of an age.

THe topics you sent me are interesting. Very similar to some of my arguments, and yet they forgot something very important when considereing the naming of Taghira- that Tahg means "to give."

Last edited by Maurus on Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:03 am 

TakuaKaita600 wrote:
Oop, that's right. I meant Todelmer.

DOesn't mean I know what Noloben means, either.

Actually, we think we're pretty close to pinning down Todelmer. "To" means "place" and "mehr" means "watch", so "Todelmer" could be something like "place of star watching". But, we still need confirmation on the "del" element.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:10 am 
Obduction Backer

AH, yeah.

Actually, what had happened was, I had no idea what noloben meant, so moved on, and then forgot which age noloben was later on. >_< But that's interesting about Toldelmer. That's probably it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:18 am 

TakuaKaita600 wrote:
WHo knows. But I still can't get over "Gahreesen."

The problem with your theory is that the name is more likely based on "gahro" (great) than on "gah" (and). The D'ni often dropped the "o" when forming words: gahrtahvo (great tahvo), Garternay (great tree root), etc.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:58 pm 

TakuaKaita600 wrote:
I became inspired while reading the Book of D'ni over again- I was curious as to what the name "Terahnee" could mean, and I did a little research.

"Terahnee" seems to come from "Tehra," a noun meaning Tree, and "ahnee," a verb meaning to take/get. It therefore seems that Terahnee translates loosely as the tree-getting age, which makes sense, I guess, since it was the primary age that the people of Ronay fled to.

According to the DRC, "Terahnee" means "The New Tree". It's on the DRC site in the D'ni Essentials section, under "Pre Earth" (4th Paragraph). The same article says that "D'ni" means "New Start". :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

"deh" = "re-", & "nee" = new
"deh'nee" = "d'nee" = "D'ni" = "Renew" (a symbol of a "new start")

"ter" = "tree", "ah" marks the direct object of a sentence, & "nee" = "new"
"ter-ah-nee" = "Terahnee" = "The New Tree"

"to" = "place", & "mehr" = "watch"
Todelmer is an observatorial Age, so it's speculated that "del" means "star/sky" or something to that extent, so:
"Todelmer" = "Place of Sky-Watching"?

Both Eder Gira & Tahgira have steam, so it's supposed that "gira" means "steam". As for "tah", that's the D'ni word for the noun "it", but I don't think that's quite right in this context.

For Eder Tsogahl, the D'ni Linguistic Fellowship has a fascinating thread about the possible relationship between "gahl" & "gahlon", & the possible meaning of "ohn".

"Gahreesen" literally sounds like "gah-rees-en", which means "and it eats", but this is probably a coincidence, like "therapist" looking like "the rapist". "Gahreesen" also looks suspiciously like D'ninglish for "Garrison" *twitch-twitch*. Hopefully, it's actual D'ni, in which case it's probably a contraction of "gahro-reesen", meaning "Great [Something]".

"to" = place
Kadish Tolesa was written for the purpose of protecting Master Kadish's hoards of wealth. "lesa" most likely means something like "protection", "wealth", "treasure", etc, so:
"Kadish Tolesa" = "Kadish's Place of Treasure"?

"tehl" = "guild", but I don't think that's the case with "Teledahn". "-ahn" is suspected to be a suffix that makes something a place-name; not that it literally means "place", like "to", but more akin to adding an "a" to the end of words in English (Example: "serene" + "a" = "Serenia" = "a serene place"). I'm guessing the active word in "Teledahn" is "teled" (whatever that means).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:17 pm 

K'laamas wrote:
"tehl" = "guild", but I don't think that's the case with "Teledahn".

I think it might well be the case. Remember that the Age was originally written as a birthday present for a guildmaster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm of the opinion that Teled is D'ni for Mushroom or a specific form of muchroom and the ahn is the 'ahn thats found on Laki'ahn.

I wonder if reesen is not a term for fortress or something, but then the sen on the end could be sehn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:21 pm 
Cyan Employee

K'laamas wrote:
"Gahreesen" literally sounds like "gah-rees-en", which means "and it eats", but this is probably a coincidence, like "therapist" looking like "the rapist". "Gahreesen" also looks suspiciously like D'ninglish for "Garrison" *twitch-twitch*. Hopefully, it's actual D'ni, in which case it's probably a contraction of "gahro-reesen", meaning "Great [Something]".

While I generally leave these kinds of mysteries alone so you all have things to discuss, debate, and discover on your own, I realize that it's also sometimes nice to occasionally get a confirmation.

So, in that spirit, here's a small present:

<garEsen> "Gah-ree-sen" is derived from three D'ni words:
<garo> "gah-ro" - adj. great, mighty
<arEu> "ah-ree-uh" - v. to protect
<senaren> "sen-ah-ren" - n. building/structure

So, basically, it's a mighty structure for protection. It would more accurately be translated as "fortress", but since it sounds so similar to "garrison", it has been generally translated as "garrison".

Hence, those two terms ("gahreesen" and "garrison") are used interchangeably by the majority of the DRC members, and when someone (who shall remain nameless) says anything about the difference, he is generally dismissed as being needlessly pedantic.

Not that he's bitter.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yay! Thanks RAWA! *hands RAWA a thank-you cookie*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:28 pm 

RAWA wrote:
So, in that spirit, here's a small present:

Are you feeling all right? In case you hadn't noticed, that was a lucid explanation without the least hint of cryptic ambiguity. And it gave us TWO new words! I'm glad I'm sitting down ... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, it is the holiday season. The penguins are all tucked, snug in their beds, visions of sugar-herrings dance in their heads. Or maybe the eggnog's been fglowing freely at Cyan HQ.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:33 am 

Ooohh! The Man has arrived :o
RAWA wrote:
<garEsen> "Gah-ree-sen" is derived from three D'ni words:
<garo> "gah-ro" - adj. great, mighty
<arEu> "ah-ree-uh" - v. to protect
<senaren> "sen-ah-ren" - n. building/structure

So, basically, it's a mighty structure for protection. It would more accurately be translated as "fortress", but since it sounds so similar to "garrison", it has been generally translated as "garrison".

Now this begs the question whether the -sen is a productive suffix or not. It certainly seems fun enough to be used frequently. Can you form new words with it rather freely, or is it a closed class of words, praytell?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next