It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:51 am

All times are UTC

Should the 24 Hour Lake Light Event occuring during the episode or between episodes?
During Episode 17%  17%  [ 20 ]
Between Episodes 83%  83%  [ 96 ]
Total votes : 116
 Post subject: 24 Hour Lake Light Event
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

With the expected release of Er'cana and presumably the ability to start relighting the lake in the next episode, I'm hammering away trying to get things together for another 24 hour event, in the style of The 24 Hour Great Zero Recalibration Revival. Unfortunately, the switch to episodic format has brought up a new conundrum that I'm going to lay out for everyone to think about...

Should the event occur during the episode, or in the downtime between episodes?

Having the event occur during the "down" period will give explorers something to do during the awful three to four week silence before the next episode begins.

Having the event occur during the episode, will likely result in a lot more explorers participation, as well as increasing the chances of something actually happening because of the event.

What do you guys think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:53 pm 

Right at the end of the episode. A New Light starts on the 23rd; so if we hold T24HLLE on the 30th; we'll still have lots of players in the Cavern, and there's the possibility that the DRC might stick around to do something about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:05 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

You seem to be excluding the possibility that story will not require such involvement anyway. You should be ready to respond immediately if the story requires it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:52 am 

Vid, you've created interest in the event with this post. It sounds great!

I like Paradox's idea of having it at the end of the next episode. But JW is correct, you will have to be ready for anything.

Why don't you go ahead and let us know what you will want us to do. Oh, that could get a little spoilery.

Good idea anyway!
Looking forward to it!

Ad'ytum - MO:ULagain KI#11466138
Don't make me get the flying monkeys!
A towel (an Umbrella?), is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:09 am 
Obduction Backer

I... really think it was unnecessary to hide this in the "spoilers" forum, since it's all based on information that Cyan/GameTap have posted...

Oh well. I guess I was at risk of getting too much valuable input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:43 pm 

Hi guys,
maybe I'm just stupid but what event are you talking about? Do you mean the point in time when the lake is illuminated to it's fully potential?
And what about the Great Zero Recalibration Revival? The GZ machine is still not running. So I'm pretty confused about this thread. Can you help me to understand this? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:35 am 

at the end of TPots, Yeesha lighted up the cavern for a moment, and there is speculation that we shall have to do this too.

The 24 hour GZ recalibration was a different event, totally separate.

Post subject: Whoho
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:07 am 

:shock:
Having spent a lot of time in a virtually empty cavern the last few weeks because everybody rushed to finish Minkata 20 minutes after it hit the servers, and then stayed away because they didn't have anything to do after, I'm voting for holding this significant event between episodes.
:P
Let's give folks a reason to at least pop in and say hi, and at the same time have something significant to do. :wink:

If today is the first day of the rest of my life, I think I'm in trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:20 pm 

I highly doubt the lake will be lighted during a 24 hour time frame. All explorers are called to bring in their "bakery results" (I mean pellets) - old ones and also new explorers. I mean Er'cana becomes useless once the lake is lighted and new Explorers couldn't take part of this task. Furthermore we've got a pellet display in our KIs which is, IMHO not suitable for a short time goal. All that makes me think the lake illumination is a long time process similar to the GZ calibration process which leads to the activation of the GZ machine at last.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:04 pm 

The scientist in me needs to spit this out -

Dumping a ton of fertilizer in a lake without knowing anything about the ecology of said lake is a Bad Idea. For one, nutrient loading isn't sustainable. For two, it causes all sorts of problems like eutrophication, oxygen depletion, and other weird effects unique to the particular system. Its a well-documented but often unthought-of side effect, as anyone in Water Quality work around agricultural areas can tell you.

Since this is an OOC forum I'll admit that Cyan probly won't worry about stuff like that. But as a responsible scientist and DZS-er, I just have to make the point... :roll:

I vote "No" for 24 hour fertilizer dumping.

Last edited by Rils on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Maybe we'll have to keep doing it over a long period of time to keep it lit up. Maybe, if we neglect it, it will darken again.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:12 pm 

Kerryth wrote:
Maybe we'll have to keep doing it over a long period of time to keep it lit up. Maybe, if we neglect it, it will darken again.

That's a very good idea and would match what we've experienced in Pots. :)

@Rils: I wonder if the Bahro know about this danger. Maybe this even influences the war in a certain way (if it is human friendly Bahros vs Bahros who are against humans).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rils wrote:
The scientist in me needs to spit this out -

<snip>

Since this is an OOC forum I'll admit that Cyan probly won't worry about stuff like that. But as a responsible scientist and DZS-er, I just have to make the point... :roll:

<snip>

I understand Rils - the nurse in me had a few problems with some of the storyline in the "Scars Episode" from a medical point of view....so, I feel your pain. :wink:

As for the lake, I don't think it will be lit in a day, just like the GZ calibration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:07 am 
Obduction Backer

Rils wrote:
Since this is an OOC forum I'll admit that Cyan probly won't worry about stuff like that. But as a responsible scientist and DZS-er, I just have to make the point... :roll: [/b]

It'd be hilarious if they did.

Cyan watches the "24 Hour Lake Event," then sends out a DRC member to say "Oops, you broke it."

I'd enjoy that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:55 pm 

Rils - from what we saw in PotS, the pellets are consumed rather quickly. It may take a lot to overload the lake. Also, I expect the algae population to be quite a bit lower than it was when the cavern was lit normally. We may need to feed it a lot at first in order to bring the population back up to the level necessary to light the whole cavern.