It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:39 am 

People are complaining about the 4-hour wait for the pellets in Er'cana. Obviously, nobody wants to sit and watch the bakers for that long. So don't.

Instead, every time you're about to leave Uru, start a baking cycle. This way, the next time you log on (providing it's 4 hours from the time of the start of baking cycle) you'll arrive to find your five pellets ready to go. Before doing anything else, go straight to Er'cana, throw your pellets in Uran, then set up another baking cycle. Then go about your business. Repeat this every time you log on/off, and you'll be dropping 5 pellets in 1-2 times a day. That's about 35 pellets a week if you time it right.

It's like doing laundry: if you sit and watch it all the time, you'll never get anything done. So you put some on and go about your day, then come back to it when it's finished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:42 am 

Each avvie can be baking one batch, so 5 simultaneously, not counting wistors.

D'nn (dmuk)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:49 am 

Another way to boost efficiency is to play lots of avatars. I have 4 that are trying different recepies.
[spoiler]So far the best formula i've tested is 25/30/40 which gives an average pellet score of 830 (and only takes 2.5 hours).[/spoiler]

Muggles 3563578

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:15 am 

Quote:
So far the best formula i've tested is 25/30/40 which gives an average pellet score of 830

It works consistently? :shock:

You should post that somewhere. That's good news.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:12 am 
Obduction Backer

Question;

Will the pellets disappear after a certain amount of time? Say it takes four hours to create, but I can only be availabe four and half hours later, will the pellets be gone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:31 am 

Good point. I had not thought of multiple avatars. Oh hey! And you could do this! Make sub accounts with your gametap account, then make 5 avatars on those as well, then you can drop pellets for hours!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:08 am 

Calam wrote:
Quote:
So far the best formula i've tested is 25/30/40 which gives an average pellet score of 830

It works consistently? :shock:

You should post that somewhere. That's good news.

My intrepid band of explorers found and even better one: 25/35/40 which gave a maximum pellet score of 885 and an average of 870. Yes these formulae are pretty consistent +- about 30 points. And you don't hafta be there when they "hatch".

Muggles 3563578

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:05 am 
Obduction Backer

cw889 wrote:
Question;

Will the pellets disappear after a certain amount of time? Say it takes four hours to create, but I can only be availabe four and half hours later, will the pellets be gone?

They pellets should stay there indefinitely, provided you don't start another batchon top of them. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:05 am 

Four hours?

"You don't like our timed puzzles, huh? How about every time you complain, we increase the timing exponentially? How do you like timed puzzles now?"

When the PotS puzzle opens up, I expect it will probably take four months to activate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:44 am 

coyote wrote:
When the PotS puzzle opens up, I expect it will probably take four months to activate.

Shhh! Don't give 'em ideas!

As for the nearly obscene duration it takes to create pellets, there's gotta be a more efficient way to create pellets. Problem is, by the time we figure it out, we'll have a new Episode. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:27 am 

Simon_Bitdiddle wrote:
As for the nearly obscene duration it takes to create pellets, there's gotta be a more efficient way to create pellets. Problem is, by the time we figure it out, we'll have a new Episode. :?

I think Cyan deliberately set such a long bake time to preclude the pellet baking taking over our in-cavern experience. Currently we just get KI points for it - we don't yet know what the payoff will be. But there's an interesting social phenomenon comes into play here, and I hope that the long bake-time will side-step it: Once there is a competitive advantage to be gained by having a high KI-score, *someone* will be prepared to grind, and do nothing in-game but accumulate KI points. If only a few do this, there's no problem - but there comes a kind of "crticial mass" after which (depending on what the payoff is) anyone who's *not* doing the grind is at a serious disadvantage. (It's has real-world parallels with inflation, 2-income families, etc.)

Four-hour bake times are a pretty good way of avoiding this problem - and my hat is off to Cyan for making it so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:40 pm 

Yeah Robinson5 you are so right. I for one don't want to spend all of my waking hours dropping over-sized Tylonol tablets in the lake. Elsewhere in the forum someone figured out that a 30 min formula gives a maximum "points per time" -- even though each pellet is less than 100 points!

Experimenting with my 4 players I found that 45/30/25 gives an average of 970 points with an occasional 1000 pellet. So each of my players has that formula set. I don't even look at points anymore.

And don't tell me this is "spoiling" -- I think Cyan intends this to be a collaborative effort.

Muggles 3563578

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:20 am 
Obduction Backer

billyat wrote:
Experimenting with my 4 players I found that 45/30/25 gives an average of 970 points with an occasional 1000 pellet. So each of my players has that formula set. I don't even look at points anymore.

Does that formula give off a bright orange glow when activated? The DRC KI message stressed that aspect was important. If the 45/30/25 covers all the currently known criteria, then more power to ya.

I've been using the 30/30/30 formula, and getting that approximate point average w/orange glow, so I'm content until I hear to do otherwise.

Just for the record, I'm not interested in "grinding" with this pellet thing either. I activate a batch first thing when logging on, set up a new batch to cook, then go about my business until the next log on where I repeat the process.

[MOULa KI #00075975]
[MOUL KI #00676569]
Member in good standing of the URU Karaoke Community

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:55 am 

Great work Horatio: 30/30/30 gives great points (for curiosity I'll let one of my players try it), but i'm only going to drop pellets every 4.5 hours anyway.

BTW -- they give a nice orange glow and that semi-circle thingy in the scopes shows a nice orange too -- not too red and not to yellow.

Muggles 3563578

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:58 am 

The point average is directly linked to the orange glow; the higher your points, the more orange the glow.

KI # 04260171