It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:35 am 
Obduction Backer

What's the upper level for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:49 pm 

To me it looks like there's a door up there. Maybe it'll open someday wandwe can access more of that area of the City.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:52 pm 

Nothing right now.

Later.... Who knows?

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:03 pm 

I hope it will be like the Kadish gallery. One day the DRC gets the door working, and we step out and go, "Oh, that's where it is!". Probably after more of the city is opened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:52 pm 

I was also wondering about the location of that silo in the city, and have done a little snooping this morning and taking readings around the city.

Surprisingly, it seems to be at a level much lower than the lake itself, as my Ki registers an altitude of -164 while standing on the lower level of the silo. The Ferry terminal right at lake level only registers a height of -93! The top of the great stair registers as -80.

So the silo would be below the ferry terminal's level by roughly 5 1/2 times the distance from the top of the great stair to the terminal? Waaay down there if that's correct! If there's essentially a "water treatment plant" down there, it makes me wonder what other machinery they have buried out of sight in the bowels of the cavern!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:03 pm 

Did anyone figure out how far away from the GZ the silo is and compare it to the map from Atrius' book? :)

I've been saying this for months, the D'ni have to have some sort of infrastructure out in the middle of the lake. Vindication is mine!

(Edit) I've been doing a lot of looking and it more than likely is in the channel on the north side of the island. Odd that they'd put it in a channel.

Also, if it's underwater, there may be a valid reason that door on the upper level doesn't open. Perhaps this is the only silo that hasn't been flooded.

Last edited by Simon_Bitdiddle on Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:22 pm 

I didn't compare to Aitrus's map, but I did take the distance reading at the silo as well. The distance to the silo from the middle is 1562, which is quite a ways out, away from the main island. The Bevins register about 1004 in the linking room, so you can see the silo is even further away from the middle than the neighborhoods are.

Other interesting things I noticed: The Watcher's Pub is rather high up on the hill, at roughly the same level as the Baron's Office, and not very far from the Great Zero in what I feel must be a rather affluent area. How much money did you have to have in D'ni society to get your hands on this sort of prime real estate right on the main island? It'd be like buying a Manhattan penthouse! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:49 pm 

Location: In the dark, behind you. With the glowsticks in my nose.
The watcher's pub is actually what is beyond the great curtain at the top of the great stairs. That hallway isn't open yet in either instance (hood or public), the only way to get to the pub atm is through the nexus.

Eventually that should change - similar to how the gallery doors were opened. I figure when Annonahy (sp) is released we'll have a better idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:55 pm 

Overdrive wrote:
The watcher's pub is actually what is beyond the great curtain at the top of the great stairs. That hallway isn't open yet in either instance (hood or public), the only way to get to the pub atm is through the nexus.

Eventually that should change - similar to how the gallery doors were opened. I figure when Annonahy (sp) is released we'll have a better idea.

That's the guild hall... According to the coordinates, the Pub is somewhere off to the left of there, perhaps behind the museum? And the Pub doesn't have a entrance, it's a 'secure' area that you can only link to, that's why there's no Nexus pedestal in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:57 pm 

In TPotS the upper level was were you found another hint paper for a line in the Watcher's Journal. Who knows what it will be used for in MO:UL. /shrug

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

People seem to be forgetting something else. In POTS, the second level was the only way to look out on the cavern from the silo (use first person), proving that you were in the city and not in some other random age (although maybe I missed information that told us otherwise). We take that information for grated these days.

Of course, the verse clue was there, too, as was mentioned. I also hope to see that door open onto another part of the city someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:16 am 

Simon_Bitdiddle wrote:
Also, if it's underwater, there may be a valid reason that door on the upper level doesn't open. Perhaps this is the only silo that hasn't been flooded.

It ain't underwater - the roof is open!

The silo is was located somewhere around the edge of the lake in PotS, if I recall correctly (Uran industrial district, I believe). The location may have changed from PotS though. I doubt it's on Ae'gura.

The Watcher's Pub is located in the J'taeri district of Ae'gura. We have official word from Cate on that. I believe J'taeri is somewhere around the back of the island from the ferry terminal. Fairly wealthy district.

The curtain at the top of the Great Stairs hides the grand entrance to the Guild Hall. The DRC site doesn't lie; it's an absolutely massive structure. Unlikely that we'll see it soon, but if all goes well, we'll go there some day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:39 am 
Obduction Backer

Brandeline wrote:
I didn't compare to Aitrus's map

If you do, I think the general consensus is that the hoods are near the City Proper (clearly marked on the map) and the Silo is way off in that part of the cavern that's furthest away from Ae'Gura. The Torans are a little confusing, though. I remember doing it twice and getting two completely different answers.

That whole -147 or whatever thing is kind of wierd, though. I recall Kirel had a similarly bizzare reading for altitude. Going off the unambigous Ferry Terminal reading of -93, both should be below sea level. I'm kind of curious as to what the deal is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Strictly speaking, ALL of the cavern may be below sea level. :lol:

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:05 am 

Tayr wrote:
The curtain at the top of the Great Stairs hides the grand entrance to the Guild Hall. The DRC site doesn't lie; it's an absolutely massive structure. Unlikely that we'll see it soon, but if all goes well, we'll go there some day.

Well it's hardly "grand". It is rather tall though. **Massive spoiler below!**

[spoiler]This is a shot of the Guild Hall entrance behind the curtain, taken in flymode from CC.

Image[/spoiler]