It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:55 am 
Obduction Backer

In several ages ( e.g. Gahreesen ) when you find a linking book to a different part of the age, then that link appears in the book on your Relto bookshelf.

So by that logic, after you have linked from Er'cana to Uran, then there should be an uran page in your cavern book. Also when you link back to the pellet room then a pellet room page should appear in your Er'cana book.

Just thought of this as currently there is no quick way from relto to both the pellet room and the burners. If you use the journey cloth to give a shortcut to the pellet room, then to start another set of pellets cooking you have to go back to the original link-in point and go all the way through the complex to the burner room - which gets to be a bit of a pain after a while. If we had a link in the book to the pellet room, then we could use one of the Journey cloths to shorten the trek to the burners.

Grr - just seen this http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewto ... sc&start=0 . How did I miss that :?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:23 am 

MartG wrote:
In several ages ( e.g. Gahreesen ) when you find a linking book to a different part of the age, then that link appears in the book on your Relto bookshelf.

Not really true. You get a new page in a book only when the link to a new location is provided by a bahro stone, not by linking book. For example, we don't have a page for Sharper's Teledahn office in the Teledahn book, even though we've used the linking book in his City office to get there. But, we do have pages for two other Teledahn locations that we reached via stone. The City book seems to be the only exception to this rule, since it contains pages for links from both books (gallery, Sharper's office, GZ antechamber) and stones (stalagmite arch and various rooftops and balconies).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

"You get a new page in a book only when the link to a new location is provided by a bahro stone, not by linking book."

I'm afraid that rule doesn't work very well. The Kadish alternate vault comes from a book, but it goes into your Kadish book. The Bahro cave tablet by the Silo book doesn't produce a page anywhere.

The only rule at the moment is inconsistency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yep, but the vault book has a Yeesha stamp on it, the Er'cana book hasn't. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

So you're formulating a different rule?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

The link does not appear in a book because the city silo is technically (but not storywise) a sub age.

It is a sub age of a personal Er'cana age which could belong to another person. If it was possible to add it to a book you could end up with a link to somebody else's city silo.

This is the same type of link as Delin and Tsogal in the neighborhood. These are not to be confused with hood instanced city links. The hood instances are child ages.

Child ages are connected to a specific parent age. MOUL currently uses one parent age: the neighborhood. You can reach a child age from anywhere as long as the parent is properly defined. This is why they are suitable for placement in Relto. Since all neighbors share this parent age they end up in the same child ages.

A sub age however can only be reached from the age you link from. It could be regarded as a deeper layer within an age.

Having the sub age type for the city silo has the advantage that it can be shared with anyone who visits your Er'cana, not just your neighbors.

I agree that it would have been more consistent if it had been a child age like the other city links, but the current setting provides better gameplay. It would be a shame to see our Er'cana visitors link away to different hood instanced city silos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:11 pm 

Oh? Visitors to your Er'cana will link to your Silo? Very nice, I didn't know that. :)

I was surprised when I noticed that the silo was a personal instance, and not a hood instance. It makes sense though - linking in with a pellet while a neighbor is busy getting their pellet scanned would be awkward and confusing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tayr wrote:
Oh? Visitors to your Er'cana will link to your Silo? Very nice, I didn't know that. :)

I was surprised when I noticed that the silo was a personal instance, and not a hood instance. It makes sense though - linking in with a pellet while a neighbor is busy getting their pellet scanned would be awkward and confusing.

Even worse: if the silo instance is not specific to the Er'cana instance, people could steal your pellets for their silo!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tayr wrote:
Yeah I was surprised when I linked from a friend's Er'cana to their Silo, and back to their Er'cana without any sharing. Shocked, since the City Office from the Teledahn Office didn't work this way at all last time I checked. There's no discernable in-game reason for the difference in behaviour. :\

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

It is because the silo link is in their er'cana and its too much of a hassle to share by taking off the bahro stone and then picking up the book, so its eaiser to just directly link it there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:32 pm 

Kerryth wrote:
Even worse: if the silo instance is not specific to the Er'cana instance, people could steal your pellets for their silo!

It actually does kind of work that way. I tried this with a hoodmate. If anyone visiting your Er'cana drops one of your pellets into "your" silo (in-game I think there is only one silo, or at least one per instance... *instancing makes my head hurt*), that person gets the points for the pellet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

jetuser wrote:
It is because the silo link is in their er'cana and its too much of a hassle to share by taking off the bahro stone and then picking up the book, so its eaiser to just directly link it there

That's not an in-game reason at all. After all, the same could be said of the Teledahn Office book. IMO it'd be easier if you always stayed in the owner's instance "chain" when linking from age to age unless other behavior is specified, and yet we still currently have this eclectic instance choosing.

Basically, what I'm saying is that there's no way to tell (in-game) ahead of time where you'll end up the first time you link. The only way to work it out is by the experiments we've devised and a few rules-of-thumb that "typically" hold true. It's very much an OOC-construct based on technical and gameplay limitations, but the in-game mechanisms that it corresponds to are not consistently manifested.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:04 pm 

The link to the Sharpers office has a Yeesha Symbol on it too and so does the one linking back to Teledahn from Sharpers Office. Also the link back to the Kadish Tolesa from the Kadish Gallery has a Yeesha symbol on it, but no pages are added.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:03 am 

belford wrote:
The only rule at the moment is inconsistency.

Not true. There is a very clear set of rules for which links you get, and the explanation is the same for both IC and OOC: In order for a book to appear in your Relto it must have the Yeesha symbol on it. A plain book with only the DRC stamp will never be added to your Relto. Also, Bahro stones will add extra pages to your books. The only exception to this that I know of is the new Bahro stone in Er'cana... however, since Bahro stones only add pages to books and we don't have a "Book of Bahro Caves" to add pages to, this makes sense.

That is how it should work, and any links that act otherwise are bugs and should be ticketed.

Now, instancing is an entirely different issue, and is confusing. I don't know of any set of rules for that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:17 am 

Strangely, I once linked to my silo from someone else's Er'cana (or at least I think I did because he linked right behind me and he went to a different one-at any rate, one of us went somewhere funny). I dropped the pellet, then when I linked back using the book I was in his Er'cana. All the other times we linked to the same silo.

On another note, what's the deal with our names not showing up anymore in Er'cana? It used to say "Rebekah in Rebekah's Er'cana," now it only says "Rebekah in Er'cana."