It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:45 am 
Obduction Backer

I know there's another loooonnnggg thread about pellet recipes, but I was curious about how successful (or obsessive) we've been about pellet drops. Would anyone like to share their current scores? You don't have to share your recipe if you'd rather keep it secret.

I'll start: It's July 4, and I've just passed the 100,000 mark. I have no idea if this puts me in the middle of the pack, at the end or somewhere else.

On a side note, any speculation on what, if anything the "rewards" will be and at what point score they kick in? My guess is some clothing article (although I'm hoping for something a LOT better that a T-shirt for all my efforts) and a minimum score of 1 million for the prize. Yeah, yeah, I know, lighting the lake should be reward enough. Whatever. Also, what are the possibilities of a tiered reward system with bigger "prizes" awarded for larger point scores?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:44 am 

Quote:
(although I'm hoping for something a LOT better that a T-shirt for all my efforts)

Quote:
Also, what are the possibilities of a tiered reward system with bigger "prizes" awarded for larger point scores?

I don't really think Cyan is going to be able to do more than a T-shirt. Last thing most people want to do in Uru is grind for the equivalent of loot. I know it only takes a few minutes at a time to drop some pellets, but one million? That's a few minutes a day for weeks. And what about the people who feel the lake should remain dark? Or those who can't log on every day?

It wouldn't be a terribly big deal to me, but for some I bet it would be.

a) People would be miffed they have to grind for content access in a game many see as a departure from stupid MMO conventions.

b) People who choose to impede the progress of the lake lighting would be excluded from content because of their choice.

c) Many people can't stay in Er'cana for more than five consecutive minutes without crashing or locking up. I know one person who can't get their ovens to activate, despite having everything in the age set identical to my own.

A T-shirt reward would be fine, and anyone that would get terribly upset about missing out on that would be overreacting I think, but start tossing in Relto pages or more?

I love Uru and Cyan and I think what they're doing is great, but let's face it: There is not enough content release for Uru that Cyan can start making anything beyond a couple of T-shirts conditional rewards, especially considering that some don't even have the choice to meet those conditions because of technical issues specifically with the age in question.

Besides, if the reward were going to be anything big, they probably would have made it more official. A post in a thread hardly counts as an announcement, especially considering that Cyan won't tell people if what they're doing has an actual direct impact or if they're flipping switches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:57 am 
Obduction Backer

Really, I expect the reward for a high pellet score to be -- your name on a list of high pellet scores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:03 am 

I usually manage to do a couple of sets a day, and i'm no where near 100,000 yet!

I'd be happy for there to be a list of scorers, i don't think i'd want there to be any other rewards, for the reasons stated above

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:52 am 
Obduction Backer

Reward = pellet-shaped hat

I think we all know that would be the ultimate loot. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:47 pm 

I'd rather have a ResEng hat :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:07 pm 

Well, I don't know about prizes. But now I see the scoring reflecting a proper recipe, at least in my case.

[spoiler]I use 30-30-30 every time and get a bright orange glow each time also. I wasn't checking my score until recently, when I got a 995 high / 977 average on my last batch.[/spoiler]

Evidently my recipe is working for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

I dont think they would do anything other then something you can get in game. Also, because it will take different people different amounts of time to get a "high score" because of (as said before) computer issues or surface life it would not be really all that fair or in the spirit of Uru to go "haha this is something you cant get". I could see them doing something like when you achieve a certain point amount you get something in game. As in, each person can get their own prize when they achieve the goal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm hoping for frequent-flyer miles on D'nited Airlines ("Daily non-stops between Spokane, WA and Eddy Co. NM!"). How many points for a free round-trip to the next Mysterium?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:49 pm 

Was there an official mention somewhere that there would be a reward beyond the lake lighting up?

KI #6725475

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:53 pm 

There was a vague post in a random thread by an official along the lines of "do you think we'd never use those scores?"

Here we go:

greydragon wrote:
Let me clear my throat ... cough cough.. (its giving you a score in your KI.. do you really think we will never use that score?) cough cough..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:27 pm 

the highest i've gotten is an average of 999, thats 999 for each pellet in a batch, my score is currently 136.263.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:55 pm 

Keitre wrote:
There was a vague post in a random thread by an official along the lines of "do you think we'd never use those scores?"

Here we go:

greydragon wrote:
Let me clear my throat ... cough cough.. (its giving you a score in your KI.. do you really think we will never use that score?) cough cough..

Yes, well, that doesn't immediately lend itself to thoughts of prizes in my book. A ResEng told me that they were using the pellet numbers in regards to lighting the lake.

KI #6725475

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Greydragon's comment came in the context of a discussion of "should players get rewards or recognition for pellet threads?" So it wasn't *completely* vacuous.

But, obviously, Cyan hasn't made any promises or revealed any plans. They may well be waiting to see what the curve looks like over the next four weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:18 pm 

Ah, yes, just came across that thread. Interesting possibilities indeed... =o)

KI #6725475