It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:03 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:36 pm 

EDIT : The BoC project is now open at http://goma-supporters.wikidot.com/signup-sheet and the password is Bahro Bob.

Just a short note but the Supporters for the Maintainers Guild have a project in the works if anyone would like to contribute.

Book of Commentary (BoC) project is a general IC description of the Ages that we have access to in MO:UL.

No Spoilers

But yes to just about everything else, this is going to be a BIG project. :D

The current style that is under discussion is a IC Journal of your explorations in the Age. By all means describe IC How and Why something does what it does in a Age but if you are talking about a puzzle just gloss over the solution itself. For now try your best to keep it to direct observations, and conclusions that do not require "Grand Theories" to explain something in a Age.

Last edited by MustardJeep on Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Who are the notional audience for this? I mean, what do they want that this commentary will provide?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'd like to contribute, as someone who is hoping for a Guild of Archivists.

I take it that it's too early to call dibs on Ages though, right? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:56 am 

Sorry about the skimpy details in the first post I was running late and had to go to work.

Quote:
Who are the notional audience for this?

At this point in the project, just the people working on it probably. Later I hope anyone interested in IC.

This is not a finished project, it is not even a semi-started project, this is a project still very much in the planning stages. The only reason why I am pushing things forward with a temp Wiki is to give people that want to be active something to do IC. Right now it's meant to aid in designing the final project, that's it.

The heart of the idea are the "Historic" Books of Commentary from the D'ni novels. Each and every Age had books of Commentary attached, First by the Maintainers approving the age, then elaborated on by other guilds, or the Ages owner. These books detailed just about everything that is possible to be learned, and they were on going. This project could last the length of MO:UL, as changes slowly happen in the Ages new additions to the Commentaries will be written.

The only limit that I am sure of is No Spoilers, other then that all of the scattered information the fans have gathered about the Ages is fair game, as well as any information yet to be found. It will be kept IC, and credit will be given where it is due.

This is going to start as a very basic collection of journals covering people exploring the Ages and Areas that we have access to in MO:UL.

As we figure things out this is going to branch out slowly to just about anything you care to name in a Age. If you are detailing the mechanics of how a puzzle mechanism works I would ask that the solution gets glossed over. On the other hand feel free to be creative describing what you went through to solve the puzzle, and the work you did figuring out how it works.

Now for the big stuff

I want to see this exist in the cavern, and more then a couple people agree with me. When the time comes for the Fans to add real lasting things to the Cavern this is among a very small handful I am going to push for.

I am on a budget, and the Temp Wiki is built at a free site but all you have to do to get in on the project is ask. If it starts with one person working a Age so be it, they get the posting privilege's and everyone else is refereed to them. People in the new "Team" can write up the Age together or we'll figure something out. That is all part in parcel with starting the Wiki to aid in figuring out the design of the project, figure on changes as things work out.

Work will be cited. If you use a Groups work it must be with their permission, and if they say no that's it.

This will never be a scheduled event merely a on going one. If you sign up to write the initial entry for a Age, you will only be expected to write the initial IC entry. If you sign up to write something expanding on a initial entry, that one specific thing you wished to expand on is the only thing you will be asked to write.

And the last thing for the moment, if you have a idea and want to talk about it feel free to PM me, but the Wiki and this project will not open until the Season Finale starts. Between now and then I have a lot of work to do getting things laid out the way I want, and with a little help getting The Cleft entry "finished" so it can be used as a example.

Later

P.S. I will try to answer any questions asked, and Sorceress which Age are you interested in? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Would you count K'veer as an "Age"? I love the area because it has a lot of historical significance. If not, I'd like to do an entry for Ahnonay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:49 pm 

Quote:
Would you count K'veer as an "Age"? I love the area because it has a lot of historical significance. If not, I'd like to do an entry for Ahnonay.

This project will cover any Age and any Area we have access to in MO:UL, and if the speculation is right we will have both. :D

Now for the bad news, rumor and speculation aside we don't have access to K'veer or Ahnonay yet. Till we do those areas are not getting on the Wiki, this project is all about "Our" explorations, and what we learn. :D

Fact from Fiction K'veer & Ahnonay are a Cyanist's daydream until the DRC gives us access.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:06 pm 

This sounds like a great idea. I am also hoping for a Guild of Archivist to become a reality.
While I would be more than happy to contribute to any of the Ages, Eder Kemo is my first choice. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:55 pm 

MJ, since this seems to be hot spot for asking questions about the BoC, I'll post here for all to see...

Can people mention Relto pages, clothing items, sparklies, etc in their Commentaries, or are we considering that "spoilage"? :)

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:48 pm 

Entirely depends. :D

If you "Know" what those sparklies "Do" probably a spoiler no-no unless it works right.

If however you really Know what the sparklies are for then....

[spoiler]Mister/Miss Cyanist please tell me what the Sparklies are for, honest I will not tell anyone. :twisted: :lol: [/spoiler]

By the time anyone gets around to including clothing, relto pages, or anything else collectible in this project I doubt mentioning them would ever be considered a spoiler.

This shouldn't be just a list of things, I really did mean it when I said the entries should be like a journal. Most everyone can manage to write that sort of narrative to some extent without trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:12 am 

I think this ties in perfectly with an idea DocOlanA had, about getting Cyan to assign a select group of explorers to writing content -- creating translations, for example. Look here and here.

What I envision is a team working with Cyan to flesh out what backstory Cyan may already have in mind for given Ages, and letting that team write those (approved) additions into the BoC. Something akin to getting the writer's bible and writing your own episode of Star Trek, and having them produce it. They tell us, for example, that a Writer named So'n'so wrote the Age the pods are in, for King Wuttsiz'name, and Something Happened. We (this team) write what happened, perhaps several versions, and submit them to Cyan, who approves one or parts of one or parts of several, and in the end an approved backstory appears (with proper credit) in a Book of Commentaries somewere in the cavern. There should be some Maintainer involvement, as historically, they wrote them in the first place, and some Archivists involvement, as they would organize and keep them.

Right now, though, the Maintainers have taken the initiative and are starting with what is already established. Once we get this polished, we can present it to Cyan along with Doc's concept and see what happens ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:42 pm 

I'm very interested in this. I had already started doing something similar (MJ, you've seen it... [shameles plug] An Explorer's Journal at the DargusKelen Bevin wiki [/shameless plug]), mostly for my own enjoyment and as a way to re-experience the Ages from a new Explorer perspective.

It's been a blast and I'd love to be a part of something bigger along the same lines.

Please add my KI # to whatever list you may have and let me know of any further developments. This sounds like such a great project!

Shana - KI# 01312842

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:38 pm 

I'm going to throw the project open at the season finale, at the moment it is just us [GoMa] - Supporters trying to get the site design nice.

But your "An Explorer's Journal" is fairly on the money as far as the general entries will go. The more specific entries will happen at the speed Cyan gives out new information, or people can find a canon answer and cite their source.

So to make it official Is there a Age you are interested in more then the others? Care to write about it? Feel free to reuse your existing stuff or polish one entry in particular to shiny goodness.

At the finale I will take the wiki this will be working out of public so anyone can contribute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:21 pm 

If you don't mind me chirping up, is it possible to expand the scope of this "Book of Commentary Project"?

If you look at DPWR they have a category for Ages (good place to start for info). But there are certain pieces of information missing, and the usability of that way of organizing a list of ages is limiting.

I already proposed this on the GoW forum, but we need to make a comprehensive list of the ages, and many of their aspects.

Basically, it could end up being something that many of the guilds would use.

It may end up best to make a section in each Age's entry for each Guild.

GoMa: a place for their notes, ratings, and approvals.
GoW: a place for coordinating things like sequence prefixes, and adding credits and development info
GoC: a place for their maps.
GoG: a spot for the walkthroughs they make.
GoMe: Well.. not sure how they come into this.

General Age Info: stuff common or not affiliated with any guild

(and if the Guild of Archivists become an actual Guild, then they'd actually be the ones responsible for the story and information about the ages.)

And as far as the outlook of things concerning the GoW, it may be a good idea to have a list for Cyan ages, and one for user ages / GoW ages.

I'm sure the actual construction of this list will require using mySQL and php (or something of the like).

I have the domain name agedirectory.com is anyone cares to know... <.<

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:11 pm 

Those of you interested in starting a Guild of Archivists- have you contacted Shayara about having an area during the Cavern Job Fair? It may be a great time to try and gather others with the same interests...

I know MustardJeep was at one of the Job Fair meetings and we are trying to get as many groups as possible to have information for the explorers during the 24 hour event.

I'm sure she would love to hear from you!

http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12583

"Always consider the Whole, Atrus. Always look at the interrelatedness of things and remember the 'whole' of one thing is always just a part of something else, something larger." wisely spoken by Anna- "The Book of Atrus"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:29 pm 

Bump

Just logged into Gametap and the ad on the main page has changed to the finale. This means we are in the final stretch here, and I need to get a few last minute details arranged.

Other then that it's ready to hit the ground at the finale.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next