It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:19 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: city instances
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hi all,
I decided to make a new avator. Before i left my old avatar there were maybe 4 or 5 in the neighborhood. After making the new avatar, i was the only one there, no other neighbors. I wonder if they are making different instaces after a number of people come in. It seem's like that to me. Almost like different shards. I know we have had that problem before, the original people came in and afterwards, the other people coming in were in a different instance. It seem's like this is being done on purpose, so that they don't break the server with too many people in at the same instance. I could be wrong, but that is what it looks like to me.

edit: I also noticed when I went to the city, there was one person in the link in spot, but when I moved out of the link in spot, he was invisible but I still got a hopspot on him. I still think we have more than 2 city instances. I think the more that come in, the more instances we are going to have.

Last edited by gnorke on Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

You're not wrong, but this is a known and ongoing problem. All new avatars (created since the most recent release) are going into the newer 2nd city instance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:53 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Rusty_Russell wrote:
You're not wrong, but this is a known and ongoing problem. All new avatars (created since the most recent release) are going into the newer 2nd city instance.

Known by us, you mean. Not acknowledged by Cyan, yet, as far as I know. Has anyone gotten back a multi-instance bug response on this? Cyan seems rather quiet on this issue (read: silent).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

I created 2 new avatars before the last release and one of them ended up in the second city instance/ I created 2 avatars after the new release and I have one in each city instance. So not all new avies go to the second city Instance.

As for the hotspot, if you were at The ferry Terminal when this happened, then it is a known bug. When someone link in the city, wherever this person links, for a split of second the avatar will appear at the ferry terminal before appearing where the avatr inteneded to really link, and there will be a hotspot that will stay at the ferry terminal for a while.

Last edited by zam on Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:01 pm 

Rusty_Russell wrote:
All new avatars (created since the most recent release) are going into the newer 2nd city instance.

I think that is not right. I know new avatars (I mean just a few days old), who are going to the first city instance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:21 pm 

yep, my friend and i made avatars about the same time. she's in the populated city, im mostly alone :P

-Calliope KI#00193315 (MO:UL)
-Pixel KI#00189718 (MO:UL)
-Pink KI#07856185 (MO:UL)

President of the ResEng fan club ;)
Bound by reasonable constraints, the Angel of Boundless Possibilities ponders escape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:48 pm 

Unfortunately none of my avatars has been assigned to the populated city instance. Guess I'm not living right. :cry:

Lial

Last edited by Lial on Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

My new avatar went into the original city too. :roll:

My ticket from September 17 has not yet been answered. Cyan may be experimenting with city instances but I doubt it. After the first official city stress tests it was announced that "there will be more of these". Considering that the second official stress test has not even taken place it is unlikely that we are divided on purpose. So I will keep treating this as a bug.

Another argument for the bug theory is that if this behavior was intentional the pyton code for the nexus that picks the "synced" guid would have been removed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:59 pm 

well, if they gave me a shower in my relto, maybe i would be more "presentable" perhaps thats why i can't get in with other people ;)

edit: suppose i should mention, calliope gets some people, pink gets the lonely city :)

calliope was made first.

-Calliope KI#00193315 (MO:UL)
-Pixel KI#00189718 (MO:UL)
-Pink KI#07856185 (MO:UL)

President of the ResEng fan club ;)
Bound by reasonable constraints, the Angel of Boundless Possibilities ponders escape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

I have tried three times to make a new avi and get the "other" city instance. It didn't work for me. They were assigned to the "regular" city.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

More peculiar than I thought then. All new avatars created for the renegade tests went to the new instance. That's what I'd based my comment on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:49 pm 

My new avvie went to the original city too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:28 am 

I did formally send bug report last week over this. I was traveling with another avi --- we ended up in our separate cities, but could still talk to each other b'cause of buddy list. Strange indeed ---- I am in the city with no one but me usually.

I plan on taking the list of KI's and adding all of the ppl I know from days gone by into my buddy list --- at least I will be able to know if/when they are on.

--jimmyjack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:05 am 

Rusty_Russell wrote:
More peculiar than I thought then. All new avatars created for the renegade tests went to the new instance. That's what I'd based my comment on.

Nope. I newly created "Renegade Camera" for the Gahreesen Test and he ended up in the old instance (and the huge hood, too!) Maybe Cyan tweaked the settings at one point to help us do those tests?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:35 am 
Obduction Backer

I wish. I would have been there, but I was stuck in the new city instance with more than a handful of others.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next