It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:12 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: IE 8 is out....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:24 pm 

Windows IE 8 is out. Comments?

They want me to download it but I'd like to know how it's doing from any of you techies who might already be using it. Most especially - how it handles this site. :wink:

Should I get it - or wait until they've got most of the inevateable bugs squashed?

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:51 pm 

I don't even use IE anymore. I can't stand it. It's too unstable and picky. I just use Firefox these days...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:56 pm 

I've been using IE8 since I got it yesterday. So far everything seems to be working OK. There are some new features like InPrivate Browsing, the Web Slice Gallery, and the Windows Live accelerators I have not really looked at. I turned off all the accelerators for Windows Live using Custom Setup when I installed it as I do not use any Windows Live "features". If you ignore all the new things, it is pretty much the same as IE7. I did have one page that appeared to render improperly but I can't say for sure if it was the web site or IE8. The internet options dialog boxes have change a bit to accomodate the new features. At least they fixed the problems I noted on the IE8 build that came with Windows 7.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

I don't use IE but if you want to then IE8 is much much better than 7, you won't regret upgrading. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

It is safe to download Internet Explorer 8.
I think IE 8 is the best Explorer version Microsoft ever made.
I already use IE 8 for over 6 months. I was in the beta test phase and I can say that it is free of bugs. It is a very stable and safe browser. Also does it run faster than IE 7.
This Myst Online website and forums do run perfect under IE 8.
The site builder gives the advice to use this version.

For older sites there is a handy Compatibility View button.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:34 pm 

If you click on the help pull down in IE8, you can select the what's new in IE8 which will take you to the IE8 website. There are some videos there you can watch to see how the accelerators and web slices work. Some accelerators look quite useful and web slices will make bidding on ebay or watching the stock market indices much easier. InPrivate Browsing does not save any info in the cache so you can surf and leave no trace of where you browsed to. Hmmm... I might not want to advertise that feature to the kids. :roll:

Last edited by johnsojc on Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:36 pm 

I don't use IE anymore either, I find Safari fits my needs much better :P

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:55 pm 

<sigh> Life was so much simpler when all that was out there was NCSA MOSAIC and HTML 1.0. My first browser was MOSAIC 0.8a IIRC. I think I was tasked to publish my first website about the time Netscape 1.0 came out. I remember actually paying something like $27 for the Netscape browser license. Now when I fiddle with a website, I have to check all the popular browsers to see if the web page works for all of them. And at work, many of the corporate applications only worked with IE and we were forbidden to load anyone else's browser (legal stuff about business use licensing). I still jump to Firefox when I hit a site that is not IE friendly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:17 am 

I've been using IE8 exclusively since starting the Windows 7 beta, and I can say that it's very stable. Fast, responsive, great feature set.

It happens eventually that a browser crashes, which is where one of IE8's best features comes in. Each tab runs as it's own process (a feature that the IE8 beta had long before the release of the Google Chrome beta release, mind you) so only that tab crashes instead of the whole browser. The recover feature is great too. Almost always, the tab restarts with everything in place.

I haven't seen a crash in a long time since they released an update to the browser for Windows 7. (I still use IE8 beta, because the one that's installed with the Win7 beta is a special version with Win7 specific features.)

Post subject: Re: IE 8 is out....
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:44 am 

Kero wrote:
Should I get it - or wait until they've got most of the inevateable bugs squashed?

No. :P

Get Firefox 3 and enjoy the web that much more. ;) It has excellent performance and many great features, with an infinite number of additional ones from add-ons that can be downloaded for free.

That being said, you probably should upgrade to IE8 in any case, just so that security issues from the previous version will be addressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:16 pm 

I stopped using IE because it was so far behind the curve. Seriously, how long should it take them to implement tabs when other browsers had it three years before them?

I'd suggest Firefox, or my personal favorite, the Safari 4 Beta, which is a definite improvement over previous versions of Safari.

But some of the ideas behind IE 8 sound interesting, so I'll probably download it to test it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:35 pm 

I find IE8 horribly slow and clumbsy.

I used IE8 for weeks. I use Firefox, Safari, Opera and Chrome, now Chrome 2. I test web pages. I changed over to Chrome as the default browser when Chrome 2 came out.

I find Safari faster than Firefox and Firefox faster than IE8 and Chrome faster than all of them.

I can click IE8 to open then Firefox and then Chrome. Chrome will open and be ready to use before the other two. Firefox will beat IE8 even after it in the 'open' order.

The best part of Chrome is the way the address field works and how bookmarks are handled. It is now a combination URL field and search tool. When one types a URL Chrome begins a search of your bookmarks and history. The search uses the names you can assign to the bookmark. So, if I type ‘support’ the bookmark to my favorite support site shows in the drop down. Also it pulls up the ‘popular’ search terms.

The bookmark editor is a drag and drop thing, which is easy and fast to use. Along with the ‘bookmark’ bar at the top of the browser I have a whole new way of using bookmarks. Rather than ONE tree of bookmarks I have several. Each folder icon on the bar is a tree of bookmarks. I have hundreds and this greatly improves how easy it is to find them. Plus if I can’t remember where I put one, search will find it. So, I use the trees less often and I am more careful about naming them. But, Chrome pulls bookmarks by name and URL so one can use either to find a bookmark.

History is handled a bit differently. The history opens on Ctrl-H as a web page would. At the top is a search window so I can type in search terms and reduce the number of items I need to look through.

Chrome is the only browser to survive the recent hacker contest and not be cracked.

HOWEVER, this is a beta version browser. A few, very few, web sites do not render correctly. There are some popup windows built into sites that simply do not work. Then I fall back to Firefox.

Download Chrome

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

The question here was: "Should I get it - or wait until they've got most of the inevateable bugs squashed? "
Not if a browser is faster or better.
For that please open another topic.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:57 pm 

I want to thank everyone for their input. I think I will go ahead and download IE8. It is the one I know the best and am most comfortable using. It may not be the fastest browser on the block - but then, nither am I. :wink: I don't mind a little slow.... except when it comes to broadband cable - then the faster the better. :lol:

@ Nalates....Thank you for your recommendation. I'm not a heavy web user so Chrome may be a case of using a howitzer to bag a sparrow. :wink: However, should the time come when I need a howitzer I will keep Chrome in mind.

Thanks everyone -
Kero

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:02 pm 

Kero wrote:
@ Nalates....Thank you for your recommendation. I'm not a heavy web user so Chrome may be a case of using a howitzer to bag a sparrow. :wink: However, should the time come when I need a howitzer I will keep Chrome in mind.

Actually, I would say that Chrome is more suited for someone who isn't a heavy web user -- currently it's just a straight up web browser without any extras. I could see it being fairly useful for someone who just wants to get on the internet and doesn't need/want any other functionality than viewing web pages.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]