It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:05 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:56 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:
A lot of us hang out in other online worlds such as There, Second Life, Guild Wars, etc.,
but if you're looking for a chat room, try Cyan Chat which is also accessible by relay:
via Mibbit: http://rel.to/IRC/cyanchat.php
or Nadnerb’s relay: http://nadru.servegame.org:81/
and welcome to the community! :D

Look out for the elites ... You have been warned

Last edited by DarK on Fri May 15, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:44 pm 

DarK wrote:
Tai'lahr wrote:
A lot of us hang out in other online worlds such as There, Second Life, Guild Wars, etc.,
but if you're looking for a chat room, try Cyan Chat which is also accessible by relay:

I'm hoping that's a joke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:09 am 

Calam wrote:
DarK wrote:
Tai'lahr wrote:

I'm hoping that's a joke.

Not entirely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
DarK wrote:

If this is a reference to the people who hang out in CC, I don't believe they're elitist. They just don't know to make people feel welcome because nobody ever comes to visit them and nobody ever visits them because we don't speak their language. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:10 am 

You could say that again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

With a couple of exceptions, the people in CyanChat are some of the most informative and friendly I've ever come across, and to imply otherwise is rather hurtful in my heart area. :(

However, it is true that if you join the chat and make expletive assumptions, spread outright lies, and foster ignorance, it WILL (and has...) resulted in a severe distaste for you. And here's the HYPERBOLE PLAYERS with some examples!

(Please note: The following are largely fictional events, amalgamated from lots of different incidents, and are not aimed at anyone in particular. They are also extremely hyperbolic in order to provide an exaggerated point. If you think that any of these are singling you out, then... yooou're so vaaaaain, you probably think this post is about yooooou!)

---
Good Idea: "Hey guys, man, I sure hope Cyan makes something new soon!"
Bad Idea: "Cyan hired their entire staff back and are working on three seperate projects, one Myst, one Uru, one Something Else, and I know it's true because I was talking to GreyDragon and he told me so!"

Good Idea: "I'm feeling really down lately, but it's good to have some people to talk to, I hope you guys don't mind me sticking around."
Bad Idea: "I like to describe suicidal thoughts about my life in long detail to people on the internet who I've never talked to before a few days ago every night and also don't like to pause to break up sentences so you'll see an entire screen full of me."

Good Idea: "Hey, I think we'll be able to improve Uru a lot once we get our hands on the source code, let's discuss it so we can all one day work in ways that makes sense and lives up to the D'ni legacy."
Bad Idea:"I think we need to have ages that only exist if they have journeys because ages never made sense without journeys, and in fact if we don't have journeys why do we have ages, so here's how we can integrate a journey into every age the D'ni have ever written is that ok? Hello? Is that ok?"

Good Idea: "I wish Cyan would make something besides Myst, I'm not sure how the market will handle Myst these days."
Bad Idea: "GOD, MYST SUCKS THESE DAYS, THEY'RE JUST FLUSHING MONEY DOWN THE TOILET WITH THIS IPHONE MYST NONSENSE, IT'S JUST MYST ON A CELL PHONE, BIG DEAL!"

Good Idea: "I don't know how to share my Relto with another player, what do I need to do?"
Bad Idea: "HOW I SHOOT BOOK?"

---

CyanChat is VERY non-elitist, and I think the diversity of the people who join together there, as well as the fact that we all can talk and occasionally argue with each other without it turning into a competition to get each other banned is a pretty good indicator of that. However, that being said, if someone comes in demanding attention and praise or makes a majority of their statements without putting some thought into them, then there's liable to be some very frustrated people.

Don't be afraid of CC. We don't bite. Usually. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:38 pm 

Many people in CyanChat are nice. Just try not to say stupid things, as vid said. They don't tend to forget such things. All in all, beside several others, they are a big group of revolutionists when it comes to Uru, with lot's of strong ideas, and won't mind to defend their ideas and rules when the time comes. Still, it's a nice place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:00 pm 

So what your're saying is:
Don't waste the bandwidth on CC. Or am I making sense of this thread? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:08 am 
Obduction Backer

Good advice, vid. But the simple fact is, Cyan Chat isn't for everyone, not even everyone in the Myst-Uru community. Unless you speak geek and your browser supports Java, it's not for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:17 am 

There are a number of CyanChat Clients that don't run the browser, and don't require Java.

CyanChat was first set up before the release of Riven by MarkD (Chogon), and has operated ever since. Some of the people in there have been there from the beginning, while others (such as myself) are relative newcomers. Don't expect the conversation to be logical, and the topics range from the latest Cyan news to aquatic hard-shelled bears. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:22 am 
Obduction Backer

Paradox wrote:
There are a number of CyanChat Clients that don't run the browser, and don't require Java.

Ah yes, a nice list of things you can download so you can access CC without having to resort to getting there through the Mibbit relay because that's a really bad thing to do, right? What if I don't want to download something new?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Does this same conversation have to happen every time CC is brought up? Is it out of your system yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:42 am 

Paradox wrote:
...aquatic hard-shelled bears. :P

The result of a happy (if formerly mutually unrequited) marriage, thank you very much.

Tai'lahr wrote:
Ah yes, a nice list of things you can download so you can access CC without having to resort to getting there through the Mibbit relay because that's a really bad thing to do, right? What if I don't want to download something new?

The Java client, the Mibbit interface (and other IRC clients), Nadnerb's web-based client, and even telnet are all options available for people who don't want to download something new. CyanChat may be many things, but inaccessible isn't one of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:47 am 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
Good advice, vid. But the simple fact is, Cyan Chat isn't for everyone, not even everyone in the Myst-Uru community. Unless you speak geek and your browser supports Java, it's not for you.

I'll argue the first requirement to a degree, the second one entirely. It's true that it's definitely not for everyone, but no chatroom, forum, or gathering place in existence is. However, there's definitely quite a bit more going on in CC than purely geek chat, at least, not to such a blanket-statable degree. Sure, we have discussions about incredibly technical things regarding age creation, programming, hardware, and other things. We also have incredibly geeky in depth conversations regarding Myst, Uru, all things D'ni, and our wonderfully insane community. But to believe that we also don't just enjoy a good conversation about our personal lives, world news, what's on television, and other "acceptable" things would be a mistake!

Regarding the second point, Java is definitely not a requirement. The Mibbit and CC java-clients are definitely great for instant access, but if you stop in and find yourself coming in more often, you'll probably find it more effective to connect via a dedicated CyanChat client, or an IRC client via the MystCommunity/CyanChat relay. There are options available for a variety of different purposes, operating systems, and usage types, it all depends on the person!

You're right in saying that CC isn't for everyone, I just don't want anyone to believe that they have to use a certain client or talk about certain subjects to be considered "cool" and "smart". It feels like a lot of people think ill of CC not because of any personal experience there, but rather because of things getting gradually twisted as they get passed from person to person, and I just want to try and clear up misconceptions and encourage people to visit if they haven't before. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:57 am 
Creative Kingdoms

vidkid7 wrote:
It feels like a lot of people think ill of CC not because of any personal experience there, but rather because of things getting gradually twisted as they get passed from person to person

For a second there, I got a flashback to the DRC forums, still a marvelous place of history.

:P

So... Anyway... Who else wants to be "donating bandwidth/hardware?"

Heh!

<bangs gavel, calling thread to order>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next