It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:11 pm 

Since the Cavern was last shutdown, I have migrated to a MacBook. I also have access to my old PC on which I ran Uru and participated in MO:UL last time, but I'd rather not be tethered to my PC if I can avoid it.

Can anyone fill me in on if/how I can access using my MacBook? I do have XP on BootCamp, lots of hard drive space, and 2GB RAM. On the Mac side, I'm running SnowLeopard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:16 pm 

You'll have to boot to XP, it looks like. And Uru is pretty tolerant of poor hardware, and that's not very poor, even. If you have issues, turn off shadows. It /will/ improve performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:20 pm 

Thanks, Keiya...Cavern, here I come! Well, once the server traffic slows down :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Uru can be run on Linux and Mac using Wine, Crossover Games, or virtualization solutions like VMware Workstation and Parallels Desktop.

I recommend using Wine, since it's free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

So am I mistaken that there was a Mac version when it was on Gametap? Did that not make it to MOULagain? Or are there plans for a Mac version, but the Windows version came out more quickly?

An answer from Cyan on this would be great, as I don't really have access to a PC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:31 pm 

There was a 'Mac version' on Gametap, but it was just running under a wrapper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

I hope Cyan takes the step of making a Mac-native application in the future (again).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Keiya wrote:

Which was under a license they may not still have. We'll have to wait and see if this is so, or if they release the source a fully native port can be made too.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Deledrius wrote:
Keiya wrote:

Which was under a license they may not still have. We'll have to wait and see if this is so, or if they release the source a fully native port can be made too.

Again, would love to see an official Cyan stance on that.

Cyan, if you're reading this, can you tell us what it would take for you to do Mac version? Or if that's in the plan for when Uru is open source. Can we help speed a Mac version along by using the nice donate button? :) (And how much would we have to raise if that's the case?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:01 am 

dragossh wrote:
Uru can be run on Linux and Mac using Wine, Crossover Games, or virtualization solutions like VMware Workstation and Parallels Desktop.

I recommend using Wine, since it's free.

I went to the website when you mentioned it on another forum...it looks kinda complicated to install/set up/run, but I may give it a try. Certainly better than having to reboot into XP when I want to play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:05 am 

Malfhok wrote:
Again, would love to see an official Cyan stance on that.

Cyan, if you're reading this, can you tell us what it would take for you to do Mac version? Or if that's in the plan for when Uru is open source. Can we help speed a Mac version along by using the nice donate button? :) (And how much would we have to raise if that's the case?)

At the moment, I think the official Cyan stance on anything is "AARGH! THE SERVER IS ON FIRE!!! THE ROUTER IS A SMOKING WRECK! GET THE FIRE EXTINGUISHERS!"

Perhaps, when things calm down some, we'll be able to get a more coherent answer. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Anaerin wrote:
At the moment, I think the official Cyan stance on anything is "AARGH! THE SERVER IS ON FIRE!!! THE ROUTER IS A SMOKING WRECK! GET THE FIRE EXTINGUISHERS!"

LoL, probably!

Quote:
Perhaps, when things calm down some, we'll be able to get a more coherent answer. :)

Yeah, I figured on that. I was just asking now 'cause I'm excited to get in there with everybody else and experience Uru for the first time! :shock:

On the Wine thing... I also had a look at that and I'm not at all sure what I'm supposed to be doing with it. Does anybody have it running using the Wine linked to above, and if so, are they willing to come to the surface long enough to write a tutorial on how to do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:27 am 

I've downloaded the installer and it's installing in Crossover. 5.5 hours to go...

According to the Crossover forums the game works, so I have high hopes (the original "port" was basically the game in a wine wrapper anyway). If it does, they have my donation. I can't believe they are doing this.

I will get to finally read all the journals and books that I missed the first time around because I played the game on my friend's PC!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:20 am 

The Cider wrapper is still freely available from GameTap: http://archives.gametap.com/static/uru-client/mac/mac_myst_setup.dmg

With just a little adjustment, it can be made to connect to the new server and update itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:51 am 

Well, I just downloaded and installed WINE, downloaded and installed Uru, and it only works up until the Cyan intro video. When that video is over, or when I try to interrupt it in any way, Uru crashes. If someone can manage to get the Cider wrapper working again I would be VERY grateful :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next