It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Skimming through the forums I see many people asking the same questions and getting the same answers. So here is a compendium of known problems and their solutions. A word of warning: these solutions have been proven to work for some people. This doesn't necessarily guarantee they will work for you. However, if you try these solutions and it doesn't fix your problem, we will try to help you find a solution that does.
  • I'm stuck at "Initializing Patcher..."
    This indicates that there is more than one patcher currently running. To solve this problem:

1.) Open the Task Manager (ctrl + alt + del)
    2.) Click the "Processes" tab
    3.) Select UruLauncher.exe
    4.) Click the "End Process" button
    5.) Click the "Yes" button on the dialog that appears

Repeat steps 3, 4, and 5 for every UruLauncher.exe in the process list. Once they are all closed. You can restart the patcher.

• I'm stuck at "Checking for patcher update..."
    This is caused by the patcher having difficulty connecting to Cyan's data server. To solve this problem you have three options:

1.) You can wait and hope it resolves itself.
    2.) Run MOULInstaller.exe again.
    3.) Close the patcher (making sure it is gone from the Task Manager process list) and re-open it.

Options 2 seems to have a higher success rate than Option 1, but is not guaranteed to work. Option 3 should be repeated over and over again until the patcher says "Connecting to server". This usually happens 2 or 3 seconds after the patcher has started up. Note that it is currently unknown how many times you may have to restart the patcher.

Note that the MOULInstaller.exe download link has been removed from the "Play" tab. This is not the same as the full client download from FilePlanet.

• I'm stuck at "Checking for updates..."
    This means Cyan's data server crashed. Usually this also results in a dialog box saying "Unable to connect to server." There is no solution for this except to wait for Cyan to fix it.

• I'm getting "Authentication Failed. Please try again. Account not found."
    This means the Auth server does not recognize your Account Name. Your account name is the email address you used to register your account. If you have correctly input that email address and are still receiving this error, try re-registering.

• I'm getting "Authentication Failed. Please try again. Login Denied." OR
  • I'm getting "Authentication Failed. Please try again. Disconnected from Myst Online." OR
  • I'm getting "Authentication Failed. Please try again. Unable to connect to Myst Online."
    These errors simply indicate that either the Authentication Server is down or your password is incorrect. If the Auth Server is down, there is no solution except to wait for Cyan to bring it back up.

• I'm getting "Failed to delete old patcher executable"
    This is caused by the UAC in Vista/Win7 not allowing the patcher to delete the old patcher executable which it just tried to replace with an updated one. To solve this problem close any open patchers, right-click the patcher shortcut (or executable) and select "Run as Administrator".

• I'm getting "Error creating file. Hard drive may be full."
    This is caused by the UAC in Vista/Win7 not allowing the patcher to create new files. To solve this problem close any open patchers, right-click the patcher shortcut (or executable) and select "Run as Administrator".

• I haven't received my account creation/activation email.
    Some e-mail services are marking this email as spam, and don't always send it to your spam box (electing to just delete it instead). Using a different email address may solve the problem. Below is a list of email providers and the general successes of each:

Apple MobileMe: No problems.
    AT&T: No problems.
    Cogeco: No problems.
    Comcast: Deletes it. Use a different address.
    Gmail: May filter it into the spam box, but does receive it..
    Hotmail: Mixed results, may or may not receive it.
    Roadrunner: Mixed results, may or may not receive it.
    Yahoo: May filter it into the spam box, but does receive it.

Alternatively, you can go to the following URL:
    https://account.mystonline.com/SetupPas ... ct=*insert email you used to register here*

• The game freezes after the first loading screen before creating my character.
    This error is usually accompanied by a stack dump, though it may be hidden behind the game window. To close the game, either Alt+Tab off the game, and back onto it (bringing the stack dump to the foreground) or press Alt+F4. You can also try to access the Task Manager, though due to the game changing the screen resolution this may be difficult. It is currently unknown what causes this, and there is currently no solution. This problem does prevent you from playing the game. The best advice I can give is to keep trying and hope it doesn't happen. :(

Last edited by Drakmyth on Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 19 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:04 am 
Obduction Backer

Nice work, thanks for doing this! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:06 am 

Nice, there are a few things that could still be added to the list, but this should be stickied anyway so that people will stop making 2642 threads devoted to the same problems.

"Life is not an easy matter... You cannot live through it without falling into frustration and cynicism unless you have before you a great idea which raises you above personal misery, above weakness, above all kinds of perfidy and baseness." -L. T

Last edited by Mekeretrig on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:07 am 

Excellent mate, I just wished someone had posted this an hour or two ago--then I'd already be in the Cavern by now! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:09 am 
Obduction Backer

Mekeretrig wrote:
Nice, there are a few things that could still be added to the list, but this should be stickied anyway so that people will stop making 2642 threads devoted to the same problems.

Please post any additional problems that are being experience here so we have an easy way to find them and start working on solutions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:16 am 

I'm getting a new one now. When installing I get past the user agreement screen but then I get the following:

Error opening file for writing
C:\ProgramFiles\UruLive\UruLauncher.exe

Any ideas?

The names of all the stars, and of all living things, and the whole history of Middle-Earth and Over-heaven and of the sundering seas! Of course! What less? But I am not in a hurry tonight.

The Two Towers, JRR Tolkien

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:20 am 

P: I haven't received my account creation/activation e-mail.

A: Some e-mail services are eating Cyan e-mails. You should make a new account at another service which will allow the e-mails to reach you, such as Yahoo.

Thats the only one I could think of. If anyone else can report on e-mail services which don't pass along Cyan e-mails, they should be added to a list. One of them is hotmail.

"Life is not an easy matter... You cannot live through it without falling into frustration and cynicism unless you have before you a great idea which raises you above personal misery, above weakness, above all kinds of perfidy and baseness." -L. T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:22 am 
Obduction Backer

Sounds like UAC getting mad. You wouldn't happen to be on Vista or Win7 would you? :P Try selecting "Run as Administrator" when you start the patcher and see if that fixes it.

There are other solutions to the problems UAC causes, such as allowing write access, forcing "Run as Administrator" and moving Uru to a folder you have write access to. But let's make sure this works first.

[EDIT] Good one Mekeretrig. Can't believe I missed it. Adding it now... [/EDIT]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:27 am 

despite your helpful post, i seem to still be stuck at the "checking for patcher update."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:30 am 

Guttersnipe wrote:
despite your helpful post, i seem to still be stuck at the "checking for patcher update."

Sometimes you just have to leave it. Last time I played, it sat there showing no progress before bringing up the login window. If it takes more than several minutes though then it might be a problem.

You could try running the MOUL setup again, which will replace the patcher and it will re-update itself when run, which apparently has worked for a few people who have found themselves perpetually stuck at "checking for patcher update."

Last edited by Mekeretrig on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:31 am 

tried that twice, i'm just gonna leave it open over night and hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:42 am 

Drakmyth wrote:
[list]
[*]I'm stuck at "Initializing Patcher..."
This indicates that there is more than one patcher currently running. To solve this problem:
1.) Open Task Manager (ctrl + alt + del)
2.) Click the "Processes" tab
3.) Select UruLauncher.exe
4.) Click the "End Process" button
5.) Click the "Yes" button on the dialog that appears

Repeat steps 3, 4, and 5 for every UruLauncher.exe in the process list. Once they are all closed. You can restart the patcher.

[*]I'm stuck at "Checking for patcher update..."
This is caused by the patcher having difficulty connecting to Cyan's data server. To solve this problem you have two options:
1.) You can wait and hope it resolves itself.
2.) Close the patcher (making sure it is gone from the Task Manager process list) and re-open it.
Following option 2 repeatedly (giving the patcher 2 or 3 seconds after opening to proceed) has proven to have a higher success rate. Note that it is currently unknown how many times you may have to restart the patcher. This error may also occur if Cyan's data server has gone down, in which case there is no solution except to wait for them to bring it back up. This, however, happens significantly less than the Auth Server going down.

This seems to be working for me now. I had both of the above problems. Solved the initializing patcher problem using method above and then also the checking for patcher update. Patcher update took 2 or 3 times to repeat before I finally got the blue line moving. Only 5 min and 80 MB to go to update URU.

Thanks Drakmyth!

If you think you understand quantum mechanics,
then you haven't been paying attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:40 am 
Obduction Backer

Did some reformatting, added some more errors and added a couple alternate solutions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:52 am 
Obduction Backer

Brilliant thread. Needs to be stickied!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:09 am 

Well I thought what I was experiencing was the same as everyone else in my position but it appears I am not correct.

I have downloaded a new client and have gotten the update I believe because the launcher says version 1.866.

I have created successfully an account and received email to that effect.

When I tried to start it I was getting a 'Failed to launch URU' comment and closed automatically. That was since the last 24 hours or so. I have not gotten the client/application to start at all and I thought this was not what was happening to others because they have had theirs start at least.

What is the difference between UruLauncher and UruExplorer?

Out of the dark we came, into the dark we go. Like a storm-driven bird at night we fly out of the Nowhere; for a moment our wings are seen in the light of the fire, and, lo! we are gone again into the Nowhere. (King Solomon's Mines)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next