It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:41 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:57 am 

I'm having mixed experiences with Uru. With the recent server upgrade, I'm now having no problems at all getting through the launcher/patcher and into the actual game, but for some reason, every time I launch I'm presented with a mandatory in-game update (Before I choose my explorer) that takes an average of an hour each time I start up. Half the time I lose my connection before it finishes, and even when I do get in the update doesn't seem to "stick"; next time I load up it downloads again. Anyone have any clues as to what this update is and why it takes so long?

Post subject: System?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:31 am 

Well, that is indeed quite odd. What are your system specs? Because it appears to be that Windows Vista and Windows 7 sometimes have trouble to get the game going properly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:47 am 

Running Windows 7 here. I don't seem to have any problems with the launcher, and I certainly have no problems running the game itself. It's just this bizarre update problem that I can't get rid of.

For what it's worth, I think the update itself is actually rather small (maybe twenty megs or so), and is just coming down extremely slowly. One time it suddenly went from forty minutes left to ten and finished quickly, which suggests a slow speed that suddenly got boosted for whatever reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:54 am 
Obduction Backer

There are certain files that Uru downloads on every launch, so the fact that the update doesn't "stick" is normal. Has it been consistently slow for you? If you've only tried a few times you may have just hit the servers when they've been particularly busy. I usually see it download in 30 seconds to a minute, though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:57 am 

Consistently slow, except for that one time. Every time it's between forty minutes and an hour and a half to grab. Time of day doesn't appear to matter, and it's been doing it since the first time I managed to log in, a few days ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:52 am 
Obduction Backer

Every time you launch the game the Python files have to be downloaded (and as you load an Age as well, which is why the initial load of a given Age each time you play is slightly longer). For some reason, Cyan decided that those files should be temporary and be removed when you quit. (dunno about crashing) But even there you shouldn't be looking at more than maybe 15 seconds for those files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:46 am 

I've been having this problem too on Mac OSX Leopard: there's a 20 minute download at the start of each session. Seems too long for just python files to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:17 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

It sopunds like people here are talking about the black screen with the book and rotating dots.

By the time you get there you're past any game update, and you're into the "secure download" phase that brings fresh copies of essential game files (in part to prevent hacking/exploits), and normally this takes around 15-90seconds depending on PC speed and connection speed. In the past, there have been issues with this for certain users: In one case it was due to some strange behaviour in the load balancers, that consistently gave some users a "bad" connection (I don't really kow the details), in another case it was due to a mis-match in network card settings.

A long time ago there used to be time-out problem (the 0 seconds remaining bug), and my rule of thumb at that time was that if you didn't get clear of the screen in 3 minutes quit and re-start, but I don't actually think that'll help here, because that bug was fixed.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:31 am 

Maybe not entirely fixed; once or twice, not nearly as consistently but sometimes, I have gotten down to 0 seconds remaining and gotten kicked out with a network error. As you can imagine, this is a rather frustrating experience. :lol:

It really is posing me a puzzler. While the secure download is running, resource monitor tells me that Uru's grabbing, at most, 5 KB/s, and usually under 1 KB/s. Everything else runs at normal speeds. I can't think of any logical reason for this to be happening other than some sort of bug or load-balancing error.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:05 am 

Well, with the 0 seconds remaining bug, you didn't get kicked out, you just got stuck with "0 seconds remaining" perpetually showning, because the download re-started from the beginning after 3 minutes.

There is a periodic "handshake" between your client and the server (the auth server I think) that basically tells the game that you're still connected - that's probably what the resource manager is seeing (it's not a very good tool for understanding the traffic - you really need something like Wireshark that can show you what's in the packets). But yes, I'd say that it sounds like a load balancer issue again. I think the configuration Cyan are using has virtual load balancers and I believe they can be a bit touchy to set up properly.

In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:36 pm 

This problem hasn't gone away, but it has become oddly inconsistent of late. I've actually managed to get into the Cavern a few times, and enjoyed myself thoroughly, but there seems to be absolutely no pattern as to whether the secure download will progress fast and take five minutes, or progress slow and take more than an hour if it works at all. Is there anything I can do other than Just Keep Trying?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:42 pm 

Hmm, if it's as inconsistent as that, I'd suggest that problem actually lies in the QoS (Quality of Service) that your ISP is providing - Since Uru hasn't been available for while, it's posible that some ISPs aren't classing Uru traffic as "gaming traffic" any more.

Back in the early GameTap MO:UL days a few people had this problem and got really slow connections from their ISPs for Uru. This was because Uru uses a non-standard port and ISPs often class that as low-priority traffic. My ISP puts gaming traffic in a high priority queue, but needs to know how to identify it. It's worth raising a ticket with your ISP to request that Myst Online : Uru Live on port 14617 is shaped as Gaming traffic. That helped dramatically for some folks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:04 pm 

... I honestly have no idea what to think now. My ISP doesn't do QoS shaping (one of the reasons I'm with them), so that's not likely to be it unless someone upstream is doing it. But I have managed to confirm one thing. At 1 AM local time, on the dot, the secure download will start working normally for me for an unknown number of hours. Every time I've gotten in without a hitch has been at or around that time. My bafflement consumes worlds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:42 pm 

That does sound like QoS shaping, or at least peak/off-peak profiling. If it were a more gradual sort of thing over an hour or so I'd have suggested that local contention was to blame. Do you know how to do Wireshark captures? Comparing the traffic behaviours before and after the 1AM threshhold might reveal something.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]