It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:33 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:42 am 

Hey all,

I'm doing a bit of an experiment where I'm giving away KI invites to all my journey & pots ages* to anybody who asks. Message me here or in game (KI number 266567) and I'll add you to my visitor lists. (You need to send me your KI number, even when messaging me in game)

UPDATE: 70 invites sent out so far!

*Note: I'm no longer giving out invites to my Minkata at the moment, until I finish solving it myself

FAQ!

Uhm, why?

Mainly because I've always wanted Myst Online to have "public" versions of all the standard ages, so that you could wander through them and run into other adventurers spontaneously instead of every excursion needing to be planned out ahead of time. In game, I think an ideal way to do this would have been to open up the bookcase in Phil's relto, so everyone could go to phil's versions of all the standard ages. This way you'd have to solve some puzzles before getting access, and it would be a kind of "reward" for getting that far. They'd also all be accessible from a convenient hub (which is also publicly shared) and give a sense of "continuity" to the world that MOUL often lacks.

Unfortunately, such a feature was never added to MOUL (I even feature-requested it!). So I thought, the next best thing would be if someone invited everyone they could to their relto, so people could experience a pseudo-shared area that, if enough people joined in, would offer a similar chance of spontaneous encounters and give a sense of a persistent world.

Unfortunately, you can't send permanent KI invites to your relto. So the next next best thing would be to send out invites to all the ages individually. This is awkward, loses the sense of having a "hub" for the shared ages, and also doesn't afford access to all areas of the ages (that is, the extra pages you get from the bahro stones), but it's the best that can be done in the current game system.

And since no one seemed to be doing anything like this, I figured, heck -- I'll try it out and see what happens!

This is a stupid idea and won't work/is unnecessary/will ruin the entire game for everyone.

If you don't like the idea, then you don't have to participate :P

Someone already did/is doing something like this

Great! I'd love to learn more and explore other ways people are trying to "open up" the worlds of MOUL.

Specifically, people already organize age running parties and such. It's been going on for a while. This is really not going to add anything

Ah, but those age running parties don't have the aspect of spontaneous, unpredictable encounters that I'm looking for. You have to coordinate, log in on a schedule, etc. It's kind of a pain. And loners like me often like to wander around and have meetings happen by chance, rather than actually coordinating with people in any way :P

I have a much better way to do something like this.

Great! let's do it!

Aren't you worried about people messing up your ages?

Not at all. I've solved them enough times that I don't really care about a "pristine" experience anymore. Plus I can always reset the books or start an alternate avvie if I wanted to.

I saw you spamming about this in the cavern. You were annoying!

I apologize. I first got this idea in a state of manic delirium and started doing crazy things like flooding people with unsolicited invites and spamming /shouts over and over. If anyone was put off by my behavior, please don't think any less of me. I've since calmed down and only will solicit in the cavern once every time I log in, just to see if I can catch any random takers.

How will we know if there are enough people online to make this worth it? Most of the time, your ages are gonna be empty anyway

This is true, and it sucks that the nexus screen doesn't tell you how many people are currently in "private" ages. Also, until there is some "critical mass" of people, it's very unlikely to ever randomly run across someone else in my ages. (As it is, it's pretty unlikely to run across people even in the official public areas beside the cavern, such as phil's relto or k'veer. But I think that's because there's not much else to do in those places. At least the puzzle ages have stuff to play with.)

My solution right now is to add everyone I invite to my buddies list, so I can see if a bunch are online. If a lot of invited people are online at once, I'll send out a message to all of them letting them know that now might be a good time to explore my shared ages. This breaks the "spontaneous" idea a little, but it's better than people never having the experience at all.

However, it also could be interesting to visit the ages when no one else is around anyway, just to see what's changed since the last time you came, or to play around with an age other than your own ;)

How long will it take to get my invite?

I usually log in at least once a day. So no more than a day or two. If it's been longer, please re-message me in case I messed up!

Can I invite other people?

Unfortunately the KI system doesn't allow this. But please spread the word and let other people know, telling them to message me for an invite. To make this easier I'm sending out a KI note to all invitees that explains the concept. Feel free to forward it along!

I'd like to send you a message in-game, but I never see you online!

You can send KI-mail to an offline player who is in your buddy list. Instructions on doing so are here http://www.eblong.com/zarf/uru/newfaq.h ... l-post-how

Well that's it. Message me if you want to join in, and have fun!

Last edited by Kenguin on Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:59 am, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:01 am 

This is a great idea Kenguin. 8)

I've too have thought it would be great to have versions of the ages that people can hang out in (ideally after they've solved their own ages). Eder Kemo, for instance, is built for garden parties, and (nearly) all the ages have areas that are just asking for people to hang out in them while enjoying the view.

So, send me the links, please
- Zen 55764

Zen KI# 55764

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:59 pm 

Brilliant. I've thought about doing something like this, but you've already put more thought and dedication into it. I'd love some invites - KI's in my sig.

KI #140389 | Unbound Hearts | Twitter | Tumblr | Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:01 pm 

UPDATE: It looks like the invites do actually go through the next time someone logs in. Phew!

Hrm. There seems to be a problem with the KI where when I invite people who are offline, they don't immediately show up in my visitor lists. Hopefully this is just a display bug and people are still getting invited. Otherwise, this puts a huge damper in the whole idea :(

So let me know if anyone's invites don't show up. But hopefully they do!

(KI #266567).

Last edited by Kenguin on Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:34 pm 

I've written a post about this in the Unbound Hearts blog to help spread the word. :)

KI #140389 | Unbound Hearts | Twitter | Tumblr | Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:57 pm 

Thanks Kaelri! Cool blog :)

(KI #266567).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Good idea.

Does the KI have a finite number of digits, including leading zeros?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:24 pm 

cave explorer wrote:
Good idea.

Does the KI have a finite number of digits, including leading zeros?

KI numbers are 8 digits long, but leading zeros are optional.

(KI #266567).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 pm 

Refugee seeks asylum
KI# 667271

(Peter Hammill, Meurglys III; the songwriters guild)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:52 am 

I love this idea too!
Kenguin, I'll copy your KI # and try to contact you in the cavern. Thanks!

Post subject: Open invite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:35 am 

Thanks Kenguin, hope you get loads of responses
KI# 01374716

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:59 pm 

Thanks for the links, all working fine. Now will have to arrange a time and place to meet up. Your were offline so could not send you a message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:59 am 

If there are a lot of participants online this weekend, I was considering having some sort of planned meetup. I was thinking either Eder Kemo or Kadish, as those are nice looking at have a lot of space. I'm never sure what my schedule is going to be though.

Oh also, I had my first incidental encounter. I ran into a player named "musicmom" while I was solving my Ahnonay. Very convenient, as she could then help me with the 2-player puzzle :)

(KI #266567).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:58 pm 

Lovely!

You may send the invites to blutec 192002 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:07 am 

What a great idea. Thanks for working so diligently on this.

Lule 00696896

You imitate the best. . .
the rest you memorize . . . .

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next