It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:45 pm

All times are UTC

Would you attend the University of MYST?
fiery abyss yes! 95%  95%  [ 60 ]
fiery abyss no! 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 63
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:09 am 

(copied from my original post on the UO website)

Not long ago in an expedition to clear out the void beside my filing cabinet, I happened to find my infamous URU journals... The glorious pages of which contain in-depth notes on everything that has happened since the first beta/prologue, I also found all my old games and my hardback MYST books.

Anyways, I thought why not use these for something productive and share the stories in some way?

So was born the concept for University of MYST!

The idea is to hold a series of weekend courses and seminars designed for all users (newbies and veterans alike). The classes cover all corners of the story in depth... from the original games and books, to the complete story of URU... All 15 years of content and story will be covered!

I plan to make this a relaxed and laid back learning environment, with each class only covering one or two topics every week, and ending with a lengthy open discussion.

Naturally these classes will take some time (I expect they will go across several months) so I am currently only testing interest in the project, so if anyone would love to take classes covering the story/history/mythology of MYST and URU (or if anyone would be interested in helping with the classes themselves) then feel free to shout out below!

If there is significant interest then I will begin work on the classes themselves and at some point in the close future I will announce more details and post a curriculum of what courses will be available (so you can attend only the courses that interest you).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nice Splork Dangerzone.....!

I think remember your Post on all things Uru Out Of Cavern, and was very grateful for it. It defined the historical Terms and placed them in context

To fill my own In Cavern History void, I was attracted to Futographers original "D'ni History Puzzle", which I still hope to resurrect for the Community..It still half runs although server-side code is lost, and is still a delight to play anyway. My splork was that OS Fans would install the "D'ni History Puzzle's" office in Augura, to be accessed thru the window from a Tent Climb,... so only the Fanatical and Curious would come.....to be hooked !. And it would be visible to all as lit windows, in the Plaza. I'll post the links to the Puzzle here later (by an edit), because it also provides a condensed source of D'ni Mythology. It could even become your Classes' Graduation Assignment, mebbe...LOL It Purports to be Nick's Office in Aegura and Rusty made a seperate non-interaactive 3D model of it which is a treat...and that could also be incorporated, I believe..

Would I Come ? Love to....Can I come ? Doubt it: I owe my Soul to the Company Dog.. But I'd still get there somehow....:)

Hi All !!.....Myst'ya !.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

This idea sounds interesting :) I would like to attend the classes, but would also be interested in teaching them if there is a need for spreading the load.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:43 am 

*UPDATE*

So i have now selected 2 other teachers who will assist me with the core curriculum, ( Carl Palmner, Ian Watson, and other guest speakers are in the works)

be on the look out for more info in the upcoming week concerning what topics the classes will cover :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:17 am 

Everything! Gimme everything!!!!!!!!!! Up with URUni!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

I know my Myst pretty well (games and books) but I couldn't be a part of the previous URU incarnations (unsupported country). Always wanted to at least catch-up with what happened during it's lifetime, but never found the time to do so.
So this is right up my alley. I'll be a regular if time allows it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Oh, I want to attend! I'd love to hear more of the backstory. I was part of the Gametap-era MOUL, but I wasn't around for the events prior to that.

So, sign me up, please! :D

KI#00149165

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:13 pm 

Interesting idea. I'd love to help with it any way I can.

The Students of D'ni Knowledge!

Next SoDK Meeting: Sunday, March 28, 20:00 (8 PM) MST (10 PM EST, 2 AM GMT)
Subject: D'ni Law and Punishment
Moderator: Ahlehn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:27 pm 

I'd be happy to teach as well, if there's a slot to be filled. My areas of expertise (so to speak ;) are the novels, and Yeesha's biographical history. But seriously, I'd love to help any way I can. :)

KI #140389 | Unbound Hearts | Twitter | Tumblr | Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:45 pm 

Nice to see teachers respond :) so there'll be a good chance of lectures in different (convenient) timezones to attend :D

Guild of Messengers :: Myst & Uru NewsCavern Calendarrel.to

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:42 pm 

VixBlu--if I understand Dangerzone correctly (we had a kind of "impromptu planning meeting" last night), many or perhaps all of the lectures (depending on teacher availability, I would think) will be done 3 or 4 times, at different times of the day. The way DZ described it to me, he's currently thinking of having it be a different class each weekend, with the SAME class being taught four different times--twice on Saturday, twice on Sunday. I don't know how well this will jive with other teachers and I suspect he will have to make adjustments based on their schedules, but you can see that the idea is to accomodate as many students from as many timezones as possible.

(Edit)DocOlanA--THERE you are! I've been looking for you, man! I was just telling DZ last night that I wanted to track you down for this project. For those who don't know, DocOlan was the brains behind the successful "Students of D'ni" project during MOUL. We need you to teach, man! Also to see if any of your former SoD scholars would be willing to. (/me quickly jots down Olan's KI#)

Everyone--I promised DZ I'd post in this thread and the UO one, but I'm lazy so I'm just going to copy/paste what I said in the other...

Hey all! I spoke with Dangerzone last night in the cavern--great conversation. The funny thing is I knew nothing about this thread at the time, but I had had a similar idea--a "university" teaching various classes related to D'ni lore, culture, language, the Bahro, etc. Some stuff has been done in the past--like the Bahroglyph study groups and the Students of D'ni--but I was thinking how fun it would be, especially for the new folks (and we have TONS of new folks--like 3/4 of the people I meet now are brand new to Uru), to have an actual organization devoted to teaching classes.

Imagine my pleasant surprise when I mentioned my idea for the first time last night in the GoG Bevin, and someone (Dangerzone) says, "That sounds like an idea I already had--let's talk!"

So, Dangerzone had an impromptu "planning meeting" with me last night and I'm totally on-board with the University of Myst. I think we're really looking for anyone interested in teaching anything right now, but especially interested in anyone who knows stuff about the D'ni language and could teach different words, how the grammar works, etc. Teachers of other aspects of D'ni culture would be really awesome too. We didn't really talk about this last one, but if Dangerzone agrees, I'd really love to see someone teaching a class about the Bahro as well. That's definitely a huge topic of interest among the newer folks--anytime I talk about the events of MOUL with someone who wasn't there, what they want to know the most about is the Bahro Civil War, what the Bahro are like and how they interacted with explorers.

I really think this is going to be a lot of fun and want to encourage others to sign up as teachers!

EDIT: I forgot to say my own "expertise" area. What I told DZ I'd be most interested in teaching is the events of MOUL. I have found that a lot of the new folks are very keenly interested in learning what happened during MOUL. DZ seemed interested in doing several MOUL-based classes, perhaps one for each episode. If that's the format we end up following, then my first choice would be to teach the "Scars" class as that was my favorite episode and the one I was most involved in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:47 am 

This is an exciting idea. I would like to offer my personal services as an instructor. My specialty being "lore" especially regarding D'ni history, the historical Guilds and the Kings.

Also though, I would like to float the idea of having the Guild of Archivists support this. I don't know what that means exactly, and I haven't the authority to say it will be so if you agree to it, but this is the kind of thing I wish GoA would support. Just so no one thinks I or the GoA are on a power trip, I am not asking that anything be given to Guild or that GoA take over in any way. Rather I want to give to you in any way possible.

MOULa KI: 00214606

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:53 am 

Forgot my own specialty. My particular study has been D'ni history, especially ancient history, and particularly prior to the so-called "Great King". There's also a good bit of D'ni culture and religion thrown in there.

The Students of D'ni Knowledge!

Next SoDK Meeting: Sunday, March 28, 20:00 (8 PM) MST (10 PM EST, 2 AM GMT)
Subject: D'ni Law and Punishment
Moderator: Ahlehn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:19 am 

I would love to be a guest speaker or a permanent "current day" class teacher. As president of the DRAEC, we have made tons of reports, just in the first month of our creation. I will send you some reports via URU KI-mail, I think you'll be impressed! Please reply on this, because I would just be honored to help!

EDIT: I couldn't find your KI number anywhere, so I can't KI-mail you our reports... I really want a chance to prove that I have some teaching quality to offer... We are having a few meetings in which I will talk to the public. I'd like it if you could make it. Find more info at http://draec.webs.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:28 am 
Obduction Backer

This sounds like a fantastic idea. One thing I would suggest, though, is to distance these courses as much as you can from saying "this happened in Myst IV" or whatever. Instead, you could provide the information about various bits of D'ni history without connecting them directly to the games. If that makes sense :)

I'm sure some folks who would like to attend haven't played all the games, and while they'd be excited to hear all the backstory, they wouldn't want it to spoil the games they haven't played yet.