It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

What do you think of automated robots in MOULagain?
I'm in favor of automated robots located anywhere in MOULagain, public or private 43%  43%  [ 90 ]
I don't mind automated robots so long as they don't reside in public places, such as the City and GOG Bevin 16%  16%  [ 33 ]
I'm against automated robots located anywhere in MOULagain 14%  14%  [ 30 ]
I'm against automated robots located anywhere in MOULagain 14%  14%  [ 30 ]
Other (please explain below) 13%  13%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 210
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:01 am 

As you may know, an automated robot, OHBot, has been installed in MOULagain. This robot is a computer-programmed avatar who responds to certain commands and questions posed by explorers. It also has been programmed to translate languages for ease of communication among international explorers. The robot has been inhabiting the Guild of Greeters Bevin, but I've been told he will soon be moved to the Guild of Robots, from which he can be summoned to the Guild of Greeters by a greeter.

I've been opposed to the installation of any kind of robot, no matter how useful, since OHBot was first installed several weeks ago. I feel an avatar which is not controlled by a human is intrusive and detracts from the personal experience of being in-Cavern. I'm also concerned an admittedly useful robot like OHBot will spawn the installation of annoying spam-bots (i.e., I'm making the "slippery slope" argument).

What do you think?

Susa'n KI#1040105 (member Shorah gah bigtotee's Hood)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:10 am 
Creative Kingdoms

I think you're putting us on. :P

We don't serve their kind here!

The closest I can come to a real answer is I'm all for NPCs which are part of actual, repeatable gameplay.

Oh, and I think the AutoBots would make good pool cleaners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:13 am 

JWPlatt wrote:
The closest I can come to a real answer is I'm all for NPCs which are part of actual, repeatable gameplay.
What's an NPC? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:16 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Non-Player Character:

Wikipedia wrote:
A non-player character, often shortened to NPC, is a character that is controlled by the gamemaster in role-playing games. When this definition extends to video games, an NPC in a video game is usually part of the program, and not controlled by a human.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-player_character
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=NPC

I am unable to find a reference for my pool cleaner claim, but it's just good common sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:48 am 

What goes on in the GoG Bevin is up to the members of that neighborhood to decide. It is totally out of line for anyone to dictate what someone else can do in the game. Some well known malcontents and griefers have already come into the GoG hood to deliberately cause trouble over this non-issue.

If the bot offends you so much, why to you continue to go to the GoG Bevin? No one is forcing you to interact with this toy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:56 am 

Oh, c'mon... he can translate us into SWAHILI! How cool is that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:59 am 
Creative Kingdoms

It's a poll with a broad range of choices, not an edict. And the outcome is opinion, not action. Also, Susa'n said opposed, not offended. That seems fine. There's no reason to react in the same manner of which you accuse.

Though I'm still on board for the pool cleaners.

Last edited by JWPlatt on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:04 am 
Obduction Backer

Judging from the traffic we have had in the GoG Bevin just to interact with OHBot, I'd say he has been a success. He is still a work in progress. As someone else mentioned, if it bothers you so much, don't frequent that Bevin. We had one individual, today, go on a swearing rant because he was still there, causing much more of a scene that the Bot could ever hope to. I've used his translation matrix, more than once, to help new Explorers. It is a great tool. As I said, this is a work in progress. And again, if he bothers you terribly, gather in another Bevin, there are hundreds to choose from...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:07 am 
Creative Kingdoms

I'm spending too much time in this thread, but here goes again...

The point was about a slippery slope, not the anecdotal experience in one hood.

Investment advice, two words: Pool cleaners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:10 am 

johnsojc wrote:
... If the bot offends you so much, why to you continue to go to the GoG Bevin? ...
I go to GOG Bevin to socialize with other explorers (GOG Bevin is a de facto hangout for all explorers), to make myself available to help newer explorers (such as calling Tsogal and Delin runs, turning Ahnonay, dropping pellets, visiting private ages to assist with puzzles), to offer to teach fun exploits (such as floating afk in Ahnonay and jumping the ravine in Er'cana), to invite explorers to parties (such as pod portal parties and Takotah rooftop parties), to participate in games (e.g., Sardines), etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:11 am 

JWPlatt wrote:
It's a poll with a broad range of choices, not an edict. And the outcome is opinion, not action. Also, Susa'n said opposed, not offended. That seems fine. There's no reason to react in the same manner of which you accuse.

Though I'm still on board for the pool cleaners.

I shall react as I see fit. This thread will turn into a rant well above my own in good time as the trolls come to play.

I've had my say and I'm done with this.. A few people may even see it before the mods get to it. That's fine with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:12 am 

Perhaps this should be something left for Cyan to decide if they want to see bots on their server or not. It's their server, so I think it should be their call. ;)

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject: OHBot Discussion
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:12 am 
Obduction Backer

Susa'n, this morning you asked me I was going to start a discussion in the MOUL forum about OHBot, and I specifically told you TWICE that he is not ready for that exposure and that a discussion is premature.

I'd also like to point out that Susa'n volunteered to me this morning that she has had the bot on Ignore for about 3 weeks, which means she hasn't interacted with him, and does not his current capabilities or behaviors.

Susa'n wrote:
As you may know, an automated robot, OHBot, has been installed in MOULagain.

No, a robot has not been "installed" in MOULagain. OHBot functions as any other avatars. I want to be CLEAR that there is NO HACKING INVOLVED. There is NO installation, NO interruption of code or commands, and NO direct communication with ANY game servers. In addition, OHBot does not violate any part of the Terms of Service and to quote Rand, he's "Entertaining".

Susa'n wrote:
This robot is a computer-programmed avatar who responds to certain commands and questions posed by explorers. It also has been programmed to translate languages for ease of communication among international explorers.

Mostly accurate. OHBot is an BABY artificial intelligence that I am writing. He is VERY incomplete and stull buggy.

Susa'n wrote:
The robot has been inhabiting the Guild of Greeters Bevin, but I've been told he will soon be moved to the Guild of Robots, from which he can be summoned to the Guild of Greeters by a greeter.

True, and he MAY soon be moved to the Guild of Robots bevin...discussions are still under way and there is the technical constraints to evaluate before a final determination can be made.

Susa'n wrote:
I've been opposed to the installation of any kind of robot, no matter how useful, since OHBot was first installed several weeks ago.

Susa's was one of the very first people see OHBot's very first version in the second week of MOULagain. At that time he didn't have an A.I., and responded to about 6 commands. Susa'n's initial reaction was negative - the first one I ever received, and I took her feedback and incorporated it into the second version. Specifically, I enhanced his unobtrusive nature.

Susa'n wrote:
I feel an avatar which is not controlled by a human is intrusive and detracts from the personal experience of being in-Cavern.

That's fine, I have no problems with those feelings. I don't share them, but I respect yours.

Susa'n wrote:
I'm also concerned an admittedly useful robot like OHBot will spawn the installation of annoying spam-bots (i.e., I'm making the "slippery slope" argument).

As I explained this morning to Susa'n and the rest of the people who joined in the discussion, I am acutely aware of the potential for evil. I am against evil. I am against Spam. For these reasons, I am working on something I hope to present to Cyan shortly about the future use of Robots in URU, and I am not releasing any of my source code to ANYONE. I have not opened any doors. I was determined to try and make a robot - I had the skills - so I did. Anyone else can do the same if they are determined enough. However, I, at least at this time, am not going to facilitate it. The slippery-slope argument is only half-valid. It's valid in that the question of "where will it go next?" is a good one. It's invalid in that it assumes that I've made it somehow possible where before it was not.

Susa'n wrote:
What do you think?

There are two issues here. One is the presense of OHBot, the other is his location.

First issue: I encourage everyone to come and see him and decide for yourself. For the time-being, when I am offline, OHBot will be in the Guild of Robots bevin. Otherwise he'll be in the Guild of Greeters at the request of some of the Greeters. If you see me, ask me for some KI Mails that are full of information about OHBot, and what his capabilities are, and some sample things you can say to him, questions you can ask, etc. Remember, OHBot functions just like any other avatar - the only difference is that instead of a human pressing the buttons, it's a program. Simple as that.

Second issue: It's a non-issue. To be frank, the way we run our bevin (the guild of greeters) is up to the Guild. It's not an open discussion. Therefore, as I explained to you this morning, it will be discussed WITHIN the Guild. If you want to participate in that discussion, Susa'n, you're welcome to apply to be a greeter - once we start accepting applications again.

Finally, Susa'n if any of this has sounded harsh - I'm sorry but it was. Your post forced me into a disaster recovery mode. I still like you as a person, and I still want to see you around the cavern. You do good things - especially your famous Tsogahl and Delin runs. You're still ok in my book...as long as this doesn't turn into a campaign on your part. From our discussion this morning, I've already implemented 4 changes to him that you either asked for or agreed was a good idea. Thanks again for your continuing feedback.

Last edited by OHB on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:20 am 
Obduction Backer

I found OHBot to be quite pleasant and very amusing. He was extremely polite and said he likes dark chocolate very much. Any robot that likes dark chocolate is okay in my book! 8)

I think this is a very industrious project of OHB. I applaud his ingenuity and thank him for providing something "new" in cavern.

Win 7 64bit-Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz-4GB mem-EVGA GeForce GTX 260oc-Creative SB X-Fi Extreme Gamer - 15MB fiber optic conn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:48 am 

I personally can't see the harm of having a robot in the GoG bevin. I think it's a very encouraging and creative example of what some of the dedicated players of MOULa can and will accomplish. As for the potential for robots becoming a tool for spamming, hey if someone is determined enough to ruin the game for others they don't need to program a robot to do it. The game is free right now, so anyone can join and some of those people may not have the best intentions. Just check out Sh'aeri's post about a new player she let on her Relto. I think the ignore feature of the KI is there for that reason; if it bothers you ignore it, so that the people who do enjoy it can continue to.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next