It is currently Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:26 pm 

Since the other thread was really about solving the Bomb puzzle, I thought I'd start a thread for thoughts about it. Er, at least my thoughts.

First off: that was awesome. Best player-run event in a long time. So hats off to OHB and the other explorers who helped him.

These days it seems like the only time I visit the Cavern is when my sister needs help with an Age. I was thrilled when the Cavern re-opened, but a lot of what originally Called me to Uru was gone. My favorite memories in Uru all come from before Cyan started the "episodic" format. Back then, the Cavern felt like a living thing, a real place where bahro could appear at any moment, where the DRC was a real factor in the world, where Yeesha could visit on a whim.

Episodes were fun, but definitely diminished the appeal somewhat. I stopped logging into the Cavern as often because I knew that there was only one week a month that I'd find anything new. And open source just made this worse.

Many of you have met my real life sister, known in game as Megan Eldred (I convinced her to adopt the same Uru-surname as me). She's been in the Cavern for months now, and really loves the place. She's found friends, and still has a few Ages to complete—don't give her any hints, by the way.

I'm glad that my little sister felt the Calling, but I've always wished she could've experienced the living Cavern, the way it was when I first visited. A place where strange and new things can happen at anytime, where you can actually be a part of a tight-knit community that comes together to solve puzzles and problems.

Today, thanks to OHB's bomb event, I think Megan got to experience some of that. So complain however you want: that it was frustrating not to be able to get in the city, that you just don't like bots, or that the storyline OHB cooked up wasn't fitting for the Cavern.

Say whatever you want: the truth is that today the Cavern shifted from a group of tunnels forming a cave to a group of people forming a Community.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Andrew Eldred wrote:
So hats off to OHB and the other explorers who helped him.

Credit goes to Kaelis Ebonrai, AgeExplorer, and Tanshin. Oh, and also Adonis for making me fix a bug which allowed me to ignore pests.

Andrew Eldred wrote:
Say whatever you want: the truth is that today the Cavern shifted from a group of tunnels forming a cave to a group of people forming a Community.

We think (and I agree) that this is such a beautiful line and I thank you for it. We're honored to have been able to provide this event for everyone. Brought a tear to Paladin's eye :)

Note: unless someone can think of another situation, we think this event might hold the record for "longest time city at capacity". From what we can tell, and from the seemingly continuous reports we got, the city was basically full or at 49 for almost 6 straight hours. Final details to follow as we parse the data...

Last edited by OHB on Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:32 pm 

That was a brilliant post, and I really couldn't have summed the event better myself. I remember, when the cavern re-opened, how close it felt to the good times. GoG has fifteen in it at any given moment, the city always hit a good forty. I remember how it began to dwindle, from fifteen, to ten, to five, to the point where you could only find the most loyal in what used to be the most active spots. I remember, coming back to the cavern, expecting to see people, and just feeling how empty it was.

I began to think, and was prepared to write. I was going to say that something needed to happen. Anything really. Just something. A breath of life back into the cavern.

It's been over two years since I've seen the city full of people working together for a single goal. And it was worth every second.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:25 am 

Contact me for further puzzle designing, I'm definitely in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:36 am 

We need to do more of these. WIth no new content, this kept us not only together, but entertained us, and had us unite as a community.

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:16 am 

I think a big, big thanks should go to those who put these events together.

It was great coming in to a full Cavern and see so many people enjoying themselves and trying to make sense of that awfully hard puzzle.

Its things like this which make Uru special and a great fun place to be.

Cheers guys...you rock!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:10 am 
Obduction Backer

Agreed! This was a lot of fun. Ignoring the bickering and concentrating on the puzzle was hard at times, but overall I enjoyed the event very much.

This gives me a glimpse of how the cavern must have felt during the MOUL episodes (which I missed, as an inhabitant of an unsupported country). The chaos we all know and love! :)

Thanks guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:49 am 
Obduction Backer

Thank you, everyone who has been involved with this puzzle!

Ever since I discovered URU, I kept reading about 2003's and 2007's Uru Live. These versions seemed epic, especially Prologue. A ton of events happening every day, making the Cavern feel like a real place. Unfortunately, I never got to experience any of that, since my discovery of the series was way after those. With this BOMB, I had a glimpse of how the old days in Uru must have felt. I was laughing all the time when the BOMB first appeared. His laughter was so freaking funny!

Then it had to be moved to the Ferry, and then a big argument started with people not wanting to try other things. For a while, I considered leaving the event, but I wanted to know what would happen when it reaches zero (the Great Zero, as OHB called it :lol:). Then it moved near the Palace, on that balcony overlooking the Canyon and to my surprise, people were cooperating -- with a few exceptions that were quickly ignored.

I am glad I stayed up all those hours to see the BOMB, even if at times it was getting annoying. It was an event that made the cavern feel alive again, exciting. Here's to more BOMBs! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:57 am 

Personally I wasn't in the cavern when the BOMB event happened, but I gather that it was quite successful (although some people were very rude). Another such event will be welcomed, if only it would be more widespread (which would fix the rude people problem) and the storyline more Myst/Uru-like (and not robots blowing up each other).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:24 am 
Obduction Backer

There were no robots.
OHB's nemesis came at 11:00 KI time and demanded to talk with OHB in private. He linked OHB to his Relto, trapping him in a cage. From there, OHB could send updates via the KI regarding how to deactivate the bomb.

I thought the storyline was funny and quite inspired, and BOMB's text w/ voice made it even funnier!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:42 am 

Most entertaining. :D Excellent voice acting (who's voice was it bwt?).
Please, make the next puzzle easier to solve for those of us who are not at all in good terms with numbers :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:11 pm 

And don't forget "NINEHUNDREDAND!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Excellent post, Andrew. I don't think I can add anything to it except that I also remember how the early days of MOUL felt, so I understand and agree with your point. Although I wasn't involved in this event, from the posts I've read, I can understand how this event could feel that way.

Kudos to OHB and his team (what do we call them, the Bomb Squad? ;) ) as well as everyone who participated - especially the puzzle-solvers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:47 am 

Tai'lahr wrote:
Kudos to OHB and his team (what do we call them, the Bomb Squad? ;) ).

Haha. Hey Tai, why are you so awesome?

And why haven't I seen you in so long?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:01 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm curious- was the City full the entire time because it was at 49 or 50, or because people were using the Kadish Gallery trick/exploit/whatever to go above the limit? I was interested in the event, but could never get in- I think I had an idea or two on the forums before anyone figured it out in chat, but I felt frustrated by not actually being able to be part of it.

On a lighter note, since I see that there's good vibes for explorer-generated puzzles, I'm tempted to put some time into making some myself.

KI #00100312, Aspeon in the cavern.