It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:48 pm 

Does space and time work the same way in Myst as it does here in real life?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:21 pm 

Theoretically yes, I've not seen any evidence to the contrary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:45 pm 

Okay, been wondering this:
What proof do we have that the speed of light is a constant, no matter what motion we are making?
They say it's been concluded, but I'm not seeing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:55 pm 

Your question is flawed, seeing as the linking books in Myst actually take you to a different universe thus taking you out of our known universal constants. for instances: the speed of light could be 9 x 10^1000000 in our universe but in the universe Teledahn is in could be 9 x 10^1000000.1

KI #12987306

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:09 am 

gmz1023 wrote:
Your question is flawed, seeing as the linking books in Myst actually take you to a different universe thus taking you out of our known universal constants. for instances: the speed of light could be 9 x 10^1000000 in our universe but in the universe Teledahn is in could be 9 x 10^1000000.1

you have a point.

still want to know where i can find some proof though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:44 am 

Linking books are able to "link " link you anywhere. Time and space don't apply. "If it will exist, does exist, or existed, the link is formed." (BoT) So that would mean, that you could link to another universe or another dimension or another video game!?!?!? Ignore that last one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:11 am 

SpyMaster356 wrote:
Linking books are able to "link " link you anywhere. Time and space don't apply. "If it will exist, does exist, or existed, the link is formed." (BoT) So that would mean, that you could link to another universe or another dimension or another video game!?!?!? Ignore that last one.

nah, i was thinking going to another video game was a good idea. i always thought about sending a myst player into some game like tdu or even better, an fps.

but no, understanding how time works is going to be important for some things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:40 pm 

personally i'd like to send a player into the Tiberium universe or maybe the sims universe. but anyway.... my brains all spinning now because i'm thinking of what i would link to... the possiblities are endless!!! literally.

KI #12987306

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:42 pm 

I think even a minor change in a universe's set of physical constants would stop it from existing.

But for simplicity, its safe to assume that in all Ages, everything has normaility.

I guess this would only be a problem if someone uncovers an Age which has a D'ni particle accelerator and manages to prove that (E=mc^2).x where 'x' is a coefficient which dialates the forumla as defined by the unique physical properties of that particular universe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

that's one smart b'ni :D :D :D

so much for "mah dog ate mah homework"

... how bout, "a b'ni DID mah homework!!" :P :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:21 pm 

Time and space, from what I understand, is constant across all ages...meaning a second is a second in every age. But each age is really a possibility that has been made to link to our reality, and so some ages are actually in our relative past or future. But when we link to them, time runs at the same rate there as here...even though they're actually not as old/young as Earth is.

Which brings me to an interesting new question: What if you link to a moon on a planet? Can you write it as a separate age? If so, can you observe an age in its future or past state from that moon? If not, then how far apart in space or time do ages have to be to be considered ages of their own?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:59 am 

Hmm. I think it's arbitrary, personally, and up to whoever first discovered it or linked to it, just like the names of many geographic features on Earth. The names of places, like pretty much everything else in the English language, are not ordered or categorized logically. (For instance, the Caspian Sea, which is arguably a large saltwater lake, not a sea, because it doesn't connect to any ocean. Similarly, we could easily argue that the Gulf of Mexico should be categorized as a sea, rather than as a gulf, given the fact that it is at least as open to the Atlantic Ocean as, say, the Mediterranean Sea is. But people named them the "Caspian Sea" and the "Gulf of Mexico" - and those names stuck, even if they don't make complete sense.)

You've got Reziksehv, the pod age, yet even though it's one planet it is usually referred to not as Reziksehv but by the names of its pods (i.e. Payiferen, Negilahn, Dereno, Tetsonot.) Doubtless in the minds of most new players visiting Uru for the first time, these pods are on different worlds, because they look so different. That confusion has been present ever since Cyan Worlds released those pods one at a time - and gave each pod its own name. Gametap publicized the release of each pod individually as it appeared in MO:UL, in the same way that new ages were announced - and never once publicized "Reziksehv". So there was a tendency to assume - if you were a new player - that they were different ages. The same thing happens with our age, Earth. It gets referred to by a bunch of different names depending on where you are. There've been countless newbie players who were confused and thought that Tomahna and/or the cavern were in different worlds, and didn't realize at first that they were actually all part of Earth.

So those are examples of a single planet which is split into multiple "ages" in many players' minds - and then there's Todelmer on the other extreme, which has a planet and a moon, both referred to generally as the age of "Todelmer". The Todelmer pod is closer to Todelmer's moon than to Todelmer. But we call it the Todelmer pod anyway. Why? Because in our minds, the moon is part of Todelmer. "Todelmer" is the name of a planet-moon system. It's fairly illogical, but it happened because Cyan Worlds never gave that moon a name, so that moon, by default, is part of Todelmer and not a separate age.

Similarly, Eder Gira has a moon but we've never named that moon either or referred to it as an age. It's just thought of as part of Eder Gira. And Spire's sun - is thought of not as its own age but as part of Spire, as with pretty much every star in the sky of every age.

So, how far apart do they have to be in time or space before they're a separate age? Answer: it depends on the social consensus. Whatever the fanbase - and Cyan Worlds - collectively classify as an age, is an age. And the classifications don't necessarily always make sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:55 am 

if in myst, time travels the same speed, no matter where you are, there must be no gravity, and if there is no gravity, there is no energy, and well there is nothing. so im not so sure that time moves at the same rate in all ages.
there is actually a measurable difference just between time on our earth and time on our moon. (i think it would be slower on the moon, but i could be wrong.)

im asking all this, because i am wanting to claim that time travels very slowly in one of the ages in my story.
http://jimgreene.livejournal.com/739.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:29 am 

If the laws or constants of physics were different from those in the Age of D'ni (Earth), we would probably disintegrate as soon as we linked to that other Age, because atoms and molecules in our bodies would not be in equilibrium anymore. But we're dealing with linking books and parallel universes and time travel anyway, so, if it makes for a good story, who cares if it's not 100% physically reasonable? ;-)

Simone - KI#1001138
Please avoid drinking the lake water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:05 pm 

Time travel has never been shown to have happened (at least no one has given an example of it that I have come across). The anomolous timing in the offline version of Ahnonay/Er'cana was just a device to make a "game" work single player so I ignore it in the "real" Cavern.

Check your cosmology, folks. Time does NOT run at the same rate anywhere in this universe. This is a verified fact of life. Take a trip in a plane and you jump ever so slightly into the future compared to your friends on the ground. All astronauts are by definition time travelers. Even the GPS satellites must have the clocks tweeked to be accurate since time runs slower for them than your GPS chip in your car or phone.

Whether or not another Age can have different physical laws is a much more slippery slope. These laws are theorized to be a result of the values for the weak, strong, electro-magnetic, and gravitational fundamental forces. Whether or not another universe can exist stabily if these values are different provides for lively debates in the esoteric realm of the cosmologists.

For the D'niverse, I imagine they are simply parallel universes that are linked by having the same physical laws. If the laws were different, then no link would be possible. That's my rationalization and I'm sticking to it :). (yes I know some very strange Ages have been described, but that's a canon discussion about what is "real" and what is "artisitic license".)